1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Cam Newton Thinks He’ll be Drafted by Dallas Cowboys

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by RealCowboyfan, Feb 25, 2011.

1. RealCowboyfan

RealCowboyfan Championship

4,587 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    http://www.thecowboyscentral.com/2011/02/cam-newton-thinks-hell-be-drafted-by-dallas-cowboys.html/

Apparently, ESPNDallas’ Randy Galloway was on to something when he said the Cowboys should and probably will draft Auburn Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback Cam Newton with the No. 9 overall pick in this year’s NFL draft. Newton recently dropped by Fort Worth to accept his Davey O’Brien Award, the trophy that annually goes to the nation’s top quarterback. While in DFW, Newton was interviewed by WFAA, the Dallas ABC affiliate. He seemed somewhat optimistic the Cowboys are more interested in him than most people think.
    When asked about the possibility of being a top 10 draft pick and playing for the Cowboys, Newton was nonchalantly confident. “Jerry Jones, man he knows how to get hold of me; let’s just say that,” Newton said.
    Whoa, Newton! This kid thinks he’s the greatest thing since electronic playbooks. He may be on top of the college football world right now, but that’s over. The next time he steps on a football field, it will be at the NFL level. Randal Cunningham, Michael Vick, and I are here to tell him that quarterbacks don’t survive the big time by running the ball 20 times per game.
    “I see myself not only as a football player, but an entertainer and icon,” Newton said.
    [IMG]
    First of all, no one in the sports world is an icon except Michael Jordan. The last time I checked, he’s the only athlete that is being considered as the star of the new logo of a professional sports team. An icon? Really? This kid needs a reality check and I hope he’s a top 10 pick, so he will get just that.
    Now I definitely don’t want him in a Dallas uniform. He’s way overrated and will never be an elite quarterback in the NFL. If we’re going to pull an Aaron Rodgers, we need to draft a quarterback with real NFL potential while we still have Tony Romo. We dang sure don’t need to waste the No. 9 overall pick on a quarterback when there are so many needs on this team.
    As far as Newton is concerned, I’d be a very happy man if he got taken first overall come April. His head would then increase from a size 10 grand to half a million. Then he would arrive in Carolina and experience the worst football season of his life. Boy, he’d be an icon then.
    I’m sure Jones does know how to get a hold of Newton. He knows how to get a hold of just about everybody with half a reputation in the sports world. That doesn’t mean we’re going to draft the Terrell Owens of quarterbacks and ruin our chances for a Super Bowl in the next few seasons. “An icon.” Please.
  2. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton it was the grave marked unknown right beside

6,475 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    In other news Newton scored 3 on the Wonderlic for spelling his name correctly.
  3. johnnyd

johnnyd Active Member

1,657 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    lol good stuff. correct me if im wrong this is now the 5th cam newton to dallas thread today?:D
  4. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton it was the grave marked unknown right beside

6,475 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  5. romo_19_55

romo_19_55 New Member

53 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If he backs it up by walking the walk, he would BE the steal of the 2011 draft. I,personally, like his size (6'6"), speed (4'4 forty), arm strength (can make all the throws), and leadership abilities (led two college teams to the national championship game and won both of them). Yes, his 'swagger' may rub off on some 'old school' guys but he's already proved in college that he could lead a team to the Big Game. And, Jerry will know HOW to market and make a zillion bucks with guy like Cam Newton if he 'walks the walk' and take the Boys to the 'promise land'.....that is, if he gets past Carolina, Buffalo, San Francisco, or any other team drafting ahead of us (or other NFL GM who would 'trade up' to take Cam ahead of us)!!!
  6. ghst187

ghst187 Well-Known Member

5,764 Messages
    225 Likes Received
    I personally can't imagine us drafting Newton, I still think Romo is fine and I think the staff still thinks Romo can eventually get it done. However, the marketability angle for JJ does cause me pause.
    If we did draft Cam, we might as well trade Romo for two early picks from someone like San Fran or Minnesota because we have a ton of holes, esp along the OL, and we'd be committed to a rookie QB.
    Wouldn't take long to wreck that swagger with our current OL.
  7. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

22,301 Messages
    1,859 Likes Received
    all this is is the cowboys trying to generate interest from the redskins or some team lower moving up to grab cam.
  8. Anjinsan

Anjinsan Benched

727 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Drafting Newton would not be a smart move with all the more pressing needs we have in other areas. All it would do would cause drama.
  9. UnoDallas

UnoDallas Benched

5,913 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I heard it on BSPN

so its gotta be true
  10. carphalen5150

carphalen5150 New Member

1,064 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If you view him as a franchise QB you never pass on them to fill a need.
  11. RealCowboyfan

RealCowboyfan Championship

4,587 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Good Point
  12. Anjinsan

Anjinsan Benched

727 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I don't view him as a franchise QB.
  13. pupulehaole

pupulehaole Well-Known Member

1,437 Messages
    131 Likes Received
    if we draft Cam Newton im gonna be pissed.....
  14. Hostile

Hostile Jason Garrett's Loudest Supporter Zone Supporter

119,427 Messages
    3,682 Likes Received
    You're not going to be pissed.
  15. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    How would you feel? He's only 22 and could sit like 2 or 3 years behind Romo until he's ready.
  16. pupulehaole

1,437 Messages
    131 Likes Received
    Oh im not? please tell me how im going to feel since you seem to know so much about my feelings.
  17. Hostile

119,427 Messages
    3,682 Likes Received
    Calm the hell down. It had nothing to do with your feelings. They aren't going to take him.
  18. TheDallasDon

TheDallasDon AegonTheConqueror-Now bend the knee

2,629 Messages
    219 Likes Received
    I love all this...........opens up trades or a player we want will fall to 9 the more press we get about him the value of him rises
  19. pupulehaole

1,437 Messages
    131 Likes Received
    lol.... maybe you need to calm down and explain yourself next time.
  20. Hostile

119,427 Messages
    3,682 Likes Received
    I am calm and it shouldn't have needed explaining.