1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Cameron Lawrence fined $21,000

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Awakened, Oct 17, 2013.

1. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    How is this even a question?

If a player wants to cut another player a check for any reason, what would prevent them from doing so?
    Eric_Boyer likes this.
  2. RoyTheHammer

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    It was necessary.. because this is football, and hitting is what you do in this game.

..at least it used to be before Goodell.
  3. RoyTheHammer

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    It really is completely ridiculous what they are doing to the game..
    lane likes this.
  4. iceberg

iceberg detoxed...part 2 Zone Supporter

28,331 Messages
    1,354 Likes Received
    i don't know what it is but i like it.
  5. iceman117

iceman117 Active Member

722 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    i understand sometimes those kind of blocks happen where a guy gets blindsided and it's not relevant to the play because its away from the ball.... in this scenario the guy was going to make a tackle, so to fine him is ridiculous.
  6. RoyTheHammer

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    Even if it is away from the immediate play, who cares? Its football.. if its clean, there's no reason to take money away from the guy. Maybe next time he'll be more aware of his surroundings.
  7. tecolote

tecolote Well-Known Member

1,856 Messages
    619 Likes Received
    Did you miss the part about the lawsuit agaist the league by former players? Making football safer is not a bad thing, yes the hits are great, but the NFL surviving in the long term is better.

Besides, it's against the rules now, they call that and we maybe lose the game. Would the hit have been necessary then?
  8. RoyTheHammer

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    Yes, the lawsuit about them hiding concussion data.. nothing to do with clean, legal football plays.. which is what this was.

I'm all for keeping the players safe.. but not to the point where you change the entire game completely.
  9. tecolote

tecolote Well-Known Member

1,856 Messages
    619 Likes Received
    I understand and I agree, both late hit calls against RG3 were ridiculous, but this type of hit, blindside, going towards your EZ, are the type of hits that can end a career. He was lying on the ground motionless, that's not a good thing.
  10. RoyTheHammer

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    Like i said.. maybe next time he'll pay more attention to his surroundings. Its not Cameron Lawrence's job to pay attention for him. I don't care what direction either player is facing, as long as its a clean hit. Its not like he hit him in the back. If you don't keep your head on a swivel in this game, you're libel to get lit up. Lesson learned.
    Corso and Fredd like this.
  11. CowboysLegend365

CowboysLegend365 Active Member

326 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    It just sucks because that is the block that sprung him. The league has dealt with the concussion issue the wrong way for so long that it's now content with punishing current players. Stupid.
  12. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

11,191 Messages
    2,787 Likes Received
    Those kinds of hits happen. It is football. It is very difficult to keep your helment from hitting his in that situation.

The Tate hit on Sean Lee was worse and more malicious than that, and I didn't think there should be a penalty/fine for that either... so I'm not just being a homer because it was a Cowboy delivering the blow.

I am a fan of football... and those kind of plays have always happened in football. I have dished those out and taken them in my playing days, and I think it is crazy to try to take that out of the game.
    Cowboy4ever likes this.
  13. CooterBrown

CooterBrown Well-Known Member

1,621 Messages
    329 Likes Received
    Just for a different take on the play, I went to Extremeskins, and Shanahan was quoted as saying it was probably an illegal hit, but if his guy had been in his lane and moving towards Harris like he should have been, Lawrence would not have had an opportunity to hit him.
  14. DuceizBak

DuceizBak Active Member

424 Messages
    99 Likes Received
    the hit was vicious... I think if a guy is just turning around you should sort of set a basketball pick or push him not try to murder him.. I just don't like guys running full speeds for a blind side hit... it was a good block and I definitely sure lawrence had no evil intent.. I hated it last year when it happened to sean lee too .
  15. starfrombirth

starfrombirth Well-Known Member

3,932 Messages
    476 Likes Received
    it may have been a repeat may have been helmet to helmet but I don't think so. But it definitely was not a blindside hit
  16. RoyTheHammer

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    It wouldn't have been a blindside hit if the guy had some awareness of his surroundings.

Again, come on now. Its football. "Set a basketball pick?" Good Lord..
  17. TrailBlazer

TrailBlazer Well-Known Member

2,320 Messages
    823 Likes Received
    You make that block just like Lawrence did 100% of the time. That's how I was taught to play and it's ridiculous they're trying to change the game.
    lane likes this.
  18. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    What makes the Tate more malicious?
  19. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    I'm not sure awareness has much to do with it. Most players wouldn't be aware of a guy coming from 30 yards away, making a beeline for them while their back is turned.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Additionally, the rules protect players from those hits so you're basically saying he should be aware that someone might clean his clock with an illegal block.
    adamknite likes this.
  20. iceberg

iceberg detoxed...part 2 Zone Supporter

28,331 Messages
    1,354 Likes Received
    so basically you're saying a UDFA in his first game in the NFL shouldn't make a mistake.

i won't get into the fine, the play, the hit, but to start digging this deep into the player...so early on???

i like the player. i want a LAWRENCE jersey.

just love the intensity he brings and yes, he will grow up. just don't expected him to be a vet yet, but he will be.
    Doomsay likes this.