1. CowboysZone Upgrade Coming Soon! For more information, click here.

Can someone tell me about Dontari Poe?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Cowboy Brian, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Cowboy Brian

Cowboy Brian Romo 2 Austin

12,085 Messages
    400 Likes Received
    I don't know anything about him besides the fact that he blew up at the combine. I see alot of people mocking him our way now with DeCastro expected to be off the board.
  2. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

15,672 Messages
    2,103 Likes Received
    Scout from Our Lads was just on Norm. Wasnt overly impressed with him.
  3. rocboy22

rocboy22 Active Member

1,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The concensus is pretty much that he is a workout warrior and doesn't show up on game tape, even though he played against weaker competition in Conf USA. Who really knows with this guy.
  4. a_minimalist

a_minimalist Well-Known Member

4,762 Messages
    192 Likes Received
    Over rated. That's all you need to know.
  5. robert70x7

robert70x7 Well-Known Member

1,067 Messages
    25 Likes Received
    Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to re-listen tomorrow.

He's a freak athlete that doesn't show up on film. There are four categories of players, some of this is based on War Room and Belichick's statements, and my own personal opinion.
    1. Perform in college and confirm status at combine
    2. Perform in college, average workouts
    3. Don't perform in college, GREAT workouts
    4. Don't perform in college, poor workouts
    Players like Poe, Coples and Brockers are all targets that in my opinion fall in category 3. Guys like Fletcher Cox and Melvin Ingram are in the first category.
  6. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

15,672 Messages
    2,103 Likes Received
    Kirwin was on with Sturm. Not enamored with Poe or Brockers. Still thought Poe goes top half round one. Brockers in the 20s.
  7. robert70x7

robert70x7 Well-Known Member

1,067 Messages
    25 Likes Received
    :bow:
  8. jimnabby

jimnabby Well-Known Member

4,619 Messages
    1,265 Likes Received
    Everyone seems to agree that (a) he looked mediocre on the field, (b) he looked incredible at the combine, and (c) he played on a lousy team with lousy coaching. Nobody seems to agree on how much (c) can or should be used to explain away (a).
  9. CowboyHawg2012

CowboyHawg2012 New Member

65 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Al Davis is rumored to be clawing at the top soil of his grave after Poe's combine and is gurgling something along the lines of trading 2013-2016 1st rounders to move up to #1 pick to take him
  10. fortdick

fortdick Well-Known Member

5,460 Messages
    55 Likes Received
    I think lazy was the word you were looking for.
  11. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

44,968 Messages
    2,885 Likes Received
    Big, slow run-stopping NT. Not much else to say really.
  12. rocboy22

rocboy22 Active Member

1,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    how do you figure he is slow? maybe compared to a WR or something, but for a man his size he is very fast. At least in combine tests.
  13. fanfromvirginia

fanfromvirginia Inconceivable!

4,014 Messages
    164 Likes Received
    This.
  14. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

8,796 Messages
    3,091 Likes Received
    agreed

this guy can be the next Ngata or a journeyman and out of the NFL like Haynesworth
  15. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

8,796 Messages
    3,091 Likes Received
    theogt means he is slower than Mike Barron (who he wants us to pick) :D so he is too slow
  16. rocboy22

rocboy22 Active Member

1,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    lol, got it
  17. theogt

44,968 Messages
    2,885 Likes Received
    For his size he may be fast, yes, but that doesn't really get him anything. If he's not significantly faster than the O-lineman he's facing it doesn't matter. If his combine time said 5.02 rather than 4.98 people would feel differently about him, I think, and that's not any meaningful difference.
  18. rocboy22

rocboy22 Active Member

1,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    um, ok
  19. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

5,783 Messages
    893 Likes Received
    He was an unknown until he blew up the combine with his strength and speed. So much so that many scouts and analysts went back to watch the tape to correlate the two and have been unimpressed. Keep in mind though he faced alot of double, even triple teams in some instances but was also used as a 5 technique went they went 3-man line.

He is a guy with elite size, strength, and speed for his position (NT) but doesn't exhibit the elite play to go along with those intagibles. The school of thought is that he may develop into that type of player with better technique and coaching - he basically has a high celing but he offers the most risk because he may never grow to be that player.
  20. theogt

44,968 Messages
    2,885 Likes Received
    Ha, no, I don't have anyone I'm really stuck on in the first two rounds. The great thing is there are a lot of really good picks that should be available with both picks.

Poe isn't one of them, though.