1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Cape Coral grad Nate Allen interviews for NFL

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Mar 31, 2010.

1. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,103 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    Cape Coral grad Nate Allen interviews for NFL

[IMG]

http://www.news-press.com/article/20100331/SPORTS/3310395/1010/Cape-grad-Allen-interviews-for-NFL

Next Page1| 2Previous PageTAMPA — Nate Allen remembered the first and the last time he interviewed for a job.

As a junior at Cape Coral High School in 2004, Allen worked during the weekends for a year at the Red Lobster restaurant on U.S. 41 in Fort Myers. He made about $7.50 an hour.
    "That took like 10 minutes," Allen said of his first job interview.
    That experience could not possibly have prepared Allen for the whirlwind of interviews he has had since playing in the Senior Bowl on Jan. 30, attending the NFL Combine a month ago and participating in parts of the University of South Florida's Pro Day on Tuesday.
    Allen, who finished his senior season of playing safety for the Bulls in the fall, chose not to run the 40-yard dash again Tuesday afternoon after feeling pain in his left quadriceps muscle.

The same injury prevented him from running at the NFL Combine.
    "It bothered me," said Allen, who aggravated the muscle while doing the broad jump Tuesday morning. "I figured don't run and be able to run in a couple of weeks rather than blow it out right now and not be able to run.
    "Hopefully I can get another thing like this out here where I can run the 40. I'll do it wherever. Wherever they can get the numbers."
    More than 30 NFL scouts, coaches and front office personnel were on hand to watch the 17 USF pro prospects do the bench press, 40-yard dash, shuttle run and other drills.

Chicago Bears coach Lovie Smith, Cincinnati Bengals coach Marvin Lewis and New York Giants coach Tom Coughlin attended the Pro Day.
    "Who's he?" Smith said when asked about Allen.
    Smith, however, knew of Allen quite well. They had breakfast together in the morning.

Sometime tonight, Allen is scheduled to have dinner — in Dallas — with Cowboys owner Jerry Jones.

Allen has trips and private interviews planned with the Cowboys, Browns, Chiefs, Rams and Jets. He already has met with personnel from the Steelers, 49ers and Bears.
    "It's pressure, but it's fun," Allen said. "It's very time-consuming, and there are a lot of interviews. But it's fun

The first time you meet them at the combine, you're a little bit star-struck. After that, it's a job interview.

"You take it all in. You show them that you're cool, calm and collected."
    Allen said he was able to "push through" some of the other drills Tuesday, including the shuttle run and a drill in which he backpedaled, intercepted a pass, turned and ran forward.
    Allen had his team's fastest 20-yard shuttle run time (4.22 seconds), fastest 60-yard shuttle run (11.41), fastest three-cone drill (6.46) and highest vertical leap (341Ú2 inches).
    Allen bench-pressed 225 pounds 16 consecutive times at the combine, and he scored a 27 out of 50 (the upper 20s is considered a good score) on the Wonderlic test, which consists of answering 50 questions in 12 minutes.
    Allen's parents, Cape Coral residents Jackie and Darlene Allen, attended the Pro Day along with Allen's sister, Kelsey, 13.
    "He doesn't get rattled," Darlene Allen said of her son. "He always stays calm under pressure.''
    The NFL Draft's first round will start at 7:30 p.m. Thursday, April 22.
    The second and third rounds will take place Friday, April 23, and the fourth through seventh rounds will conclude the draft on Saturday, April 24.
    Most mock drafts have Allen being taken in the second round or late in the first.
  2. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,490 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Good numbers. I would be very happy with selecting him at #27, but only if Kyle Wilson and Iupati are gone.

Only player I'd rather have I think at this point is Devin McCourty because he could play DB and return kicks and punts, and definitely return kicks and punts from day 1.

Crayton was more than serviceable returning punts though. He's got great vision and sure hands.

Interesting!