1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Carbon credits?

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Yeagermeister, Jul 20, 2007.

1. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    I keep hearing about these so called carbon credits that Al Gore is pushing, btw he's also the CEO of one of the companies that sell them. What the heck are these things? It sounds like the newest pet rock too me.
  2. AtlCB

AtlCB Active Member

3,683 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Basically, you can buy these carbon credits from a company to pay for all of the carbon that you produce by driving your car, burning natural gas at home, or using electricity. The company takes part of the money it receives from you and pays people to plant trees or pays companies who use less electricity than their quota or pays companies to add some technology that will make them more efficient or pollute less.
  3. Yeagermeister

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Yeah like I though.....a new pet rock

Thanks
  4. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,344 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I have "infidelity" credits where I pay some guy to be faithful to his wife and then I'm allowed to screw around. ;)
  5. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,612 Messages
    3,953 Likes Received
    I think the whole thing is a money issue.

You want to be responsible...how about going out one weekend and helping a group plant some trees somewhere.

How about signing up for adopt a highway and helping clean up some litter.

If you are building a business or home, think about doing it with some materials that are environmental friendly.

Think about helping the recycling effort by separating your garbage and taking plastics, papers or aluminum to recycling centers.

Buy recyclable or environmental friendly products.

Donate money or time to good, what YOU consider good, environmental causes.

How about doing things of that nature.

But that is just my take...Just don't trust that whole carbon credit thing where you go to someone else and never know what is done afterwards.
  6. sacase

sacase Well-Known Member

4,274 Messages
    65 Likes Received
    Just one of the reasons why Global Warming so such a big issue. There is money in it. In other words, SCAM.
  7. Rackat

Rackat Active Member

2,134 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I have *friend* that wants to by moral turpitude credits to offset his topless bar visits. I'm thinking of setting up a company. Anyone want to invest? :laugh2:
  8. sacase

sacase Well-Known Member

4,274 Messages
    65 Likes Received
    Can I get some of those? I would be a big investor....LOL :bow:
  9. Yeagermeister

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    If celebs are the ones that are for it that usually tells me it's crap. :D

They live in a make believe world and wouldn't know what the real world is....and I don't mean the tv show. :D
  10. AtlCB

AtlCB Active Member

3,683 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Gentlemen,

I would like to bring to your attention the problem of lust. Lust is a sin, and I know many of you watched the Obama girls vs. Giuliani girls video. I have started a business selling lust credits. For a mere $100, you can watch the video up to twenty-five times and be covered. You can lust after the women all you want for the first twenty-five viewings!!!! This deal is a substantial savings over the $7.50 lust cost per individual viewing. I paid $100 and my conscience is now clear, and I can still watch the video another eight times.
  11. Yeagermeister

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Thank you Bill Clinton :D
  12. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Lost in the Woods

4,454 Messages
    134 Likes Received
    I believe it's about trying to use market mechanisms--the exchange of carbon credits--to induce companies to find profitable ways to reduce their emissions instead of the old-fashioned heavy handed government interventionism. Companies that improve their efficiencies are rewarded because they will have quantities of "credits" that they don't need for themselves that they can sell to others.
  13. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,870 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Basically, its a way for the super-rich ecomaniacs to continue flying in their private jets, riding in their gas-guzzling limousines, and heating their five mansions without having to scale back on energy usage or their pampered lifestyles. That way, the fatcats can continue to live high on the hog while preaching at the rest of us. How? By supposedly planting a tree halfway across the world. Naturally, it's a complete and total fraud:

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/consumer/caring/article.html?in_article_id=416353&in_page_id=511

http://www.jayreding.com/archives/2007/02/11/buying-indulgences-for-the-21st-century/

In the words of Instapundit: "I'll start acting as if it's a crisis when the people who are telling me it's a crisis start acting as if it's a crisis."
  14. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

11,137 Messages
    499 Likes Received

:clap: :clap2: :hammer: Preach it brother bb. Somebody give me an "Amen Brother!"
  15. Crown Royal

Crown Royal Insulin Beware

10,147 Messages
    532 Likes Received
    Soooo....a modern day way of buying Indulgences?
  16. AtlCB

AtlCB Active Member

3,683 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Correct!
  17. BrAinPaiNt

60,612 Messages
    3,953 Likes Received
    Similar to how or why the idea of Purgatory was introduced long ago.:D
  18. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,396 Messages
    880 Likes Received
    I agree in that it does but indulgence for some. But I also feel that paying to offset your carbon use does make a decent contribution -- if some super rich person wants to pay 500k a year to plant trees or help develop better technology then isn't that better than doing nothing at all?

So many people hate to be inconvenienced in any manner and this is a way that people can make an environmental impact simply by buying something over the internet.
  19. AtlCB

AtlCB Active Member

3,683 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    You could just donate to the same organization that is doing the research and bypass a significant amount of administrative costs.
  20. BrAinPaiNt

60,612 Messages
    3,953 Likes Received
    Yes but does someone have to go through a Carbon Credit business to do that?

See what I am saying is if you want to help the environment and be environmental friendly there are many things you can do on your own without going through some business.

Why give some business 500K, when they are going to pocket some of that money for operating expenses and other areas, when you could do something within your community?

How about going to your local (city or county) leaders.

Ask to see if you can start a project where one day everyone in the town, county or district High Schools has a day where the teachers, students, faculty plant some trees somewhere.

You provide the trees, transportation and other logistics.

The project educates your young people in the community. It gives them a sense of contributing to a better environment. You also have the idea of a community working together. You get to see the progress first hand.

So you are doing many things here.
    You are helping the environment.
    You are helping educate the youth...No not making them tree huggers.
    Getting the youth and community involved in a worthy project.
    Instilling a sense of pride and accomplishment in the youth and community.
    Seeing the results first hand.
    Know for a fact how your money was spent.
    Not give even an ounce of chance that your money is being pocketed.

I think that is a far better way to give back instead of going through some company.