1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Casey Matthews

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Swaggstar1, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Swaggstar1

Swaggstar1 Member

99 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    what do you think are chances are of drafting him and would you like him with a star on his helmet
  2. texbumthelife

texbumthelife Well-Known Member

3,749 Messages
    938 Likes Received
    Remove his last name and he is late rounds at best. Someone will reach trying to find another Clay Mathews though. I just hope it isn't us. We don't need another finesse linebacker.
  3. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

40,453 Messages
    5,140 Likes Received
    I haven't seen him play. What I've heard and read is late rounds.
  4. funkytown

funkytown Well-Known Member

1,023 Messages
    54 Likes Received
    Let someone else have him... He's not that good. If we're gonna get another white linebacker get the McCarthy kid from Miami or Herzilich from Boston College.

No need for slow light hitting linebackers(Bobby Carpenter).
  5. TheCoolFan

TheCoolFan Well-Known Member

7,546 Messages
    349 Likes Received
    Co-sign about his last name being the only reason he is mentioned much. Gimme guys like Nate Irving, Mason Foster, Kelvin Sheppard, Colin McCarthy over him.
  6. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,831 Messages
    754 Likes Received
    I saw him play quite a bit this year. He's good, but he's not his brother. For that matter, he's not Sean Lee. He'll give you everything he's got, and he might make a good pro, but we need better. If his last name wasn't Matthews, I don't think people would be that excited about him.

To me, it's kinda like Rob and Chris Gronkowski. They can both play in the league, but one is way better than the other.
  7. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    I'm a big fan of blood lines but I think the blood is running a little thin this time around.

He will have a career in the NFL. He will be a special teams staple for many years and will find spot duty here and there on defense.
  8. UnoDallas

UnoDallas Benched

5,913 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    every one thinks he is special

I don't

I hope Jerry does not

some will pick him up on name alone

and find they have another Bobby Carp on there hands
  9. TheFinisher

TheFinisher Well-Known Member

2,561 Messages
    721 Likes Received
    He doesn't fit in our defense, but I think he'll land with some 4-3 team and be a starter for a long time.
  10. 8FOR!3

8FOR!3 Well-Known Member

1,388 Messages
    85 Likes Received
    Bobby Carpenter was a first round pick who had all the physical tools, just isn't physical. Casey Matthews can possibly be taken in mid rounds which would make him a fairly low risk pick, you may or may not get something out of him. But can I point out how many mid round picks we've wasted in recent years? A lot of these guys are somewhere else or not even in the NFL because they couldn't make it with the Cowboys. He gets compared to his brother, because Clay Matthews was a similar player coming out of college. He wasn't a big strong linebacker, he was a hard worker, and so is Casey, look where that got Clay. The difference between him and Carp is Casey Matthews doesn't hit hard, Carpenter is afraid of hitting hard. But Casey Matthews is a non stop hard worker and how hard you hit is very fixable IF that's the case. If we don't get a Robert Quinn/Von Miller in the first, he'd be somebody I'd take a look at if still available in the 3rd.

Just something to think about.
  11. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,424 Messages
    1,338 Likes Received
    The kid is a football player, I'd consider him in the 5th and would definitely nab him in the 6th if he was still there.

His limitations are well publicized, unlike Von Miller, he's going to have a hard time overcoming his lack of size with sheer athleticism but I've watched the kid play and he's got good instincts and makes some big plays.
  12. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

80,130 Messages
    4,855 Likes Received
    I agree. I like Matthews and if he still on the board later in the draft I would take a chance on him.
  13. 8FOR!3

8FOR!3 Well-Known Member

1,388 Messages
    85 Likes Received
    I hear a lot of people saying they'd like him in the 5th. But everywhere I've read he's expected to go earlier than that. Am I not up to date or do ya'll just think he's going to drop?
  14. Doomsday101

80,130 Messages
    4,855 Likes Received
    I think he could go any where from the 3rd to the 5th rd, really hard to say
  15. 8FOR!3

8FOR!3 Well-Known Member

1,388 Messages
    85 Likes Received
    Oh, maybe I wouldn't use a 3rd on him then. I don't think we need to draft this guy or anything, I just see the potential there with the way his brother came out of college very similarily, he wouldn't be a bad player to pick up if it's convenient.
  16. Doomsday101

80,130 Messages
    4,855 Likes Received
    I think Casey has shown he is a hard nose player who is also a student of the game which is why he is always around the ball. I judge him on his own play and not that of any family member but I will say coming from a deep football family as he does has given him an up close view of what it will take to be a NFL player.
  17. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong

8,595 Messages
    640 Likes Received
    Those are good points. The reason I would be against him is because I would prefer that they take a chance on a guy like Mark Herzlich, who will fall because of his battle with cancer. He is ideal for taking over for Brady James if he pans out (and I personally think he will).
  18. fortdick

fortdick Well-Known Member

5,412 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    Why is it about "white"? There are no slow, light hitting linebackers of any other skin color? I don't think color is a consideration in the draft decisions.
  19. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong

8,595 Messages
    640 Likes Received
    Nope, that is a purely white trait (softies)! :laugh2:
  20. Duane

Duane Active Member

6,892 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    Casey looks like he's built more like a 4-3 LB to me. I know some have him listed in the 235 range but he looks smaller than that to me.