1. Like to discuss POLITICS? Come join us at PUNNDITS.com!
    If you like discussing politics and other related topics then your new home (hopefully) for doing just that can be found on Punndits.com! Come join us and help us grow Punndits into a wonderful and safe place to discuss politics with everyone.
    Dismiss Notice

Cataract surgery in May

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by CliffnMesquite, Mar 28, 2014.

1. CliffnMesquite

CliffnMesquite Well-Known Member

4,481 Messages
    211 Likes Received
    Anyone have this done?

2. Jammer

Jammer Retired Air Force Guy

3,849 Messages
    653 Likes Received
    I haven't, but a coworker had it done 2-3 years ago. His eyesight is like an 18 year old now, and he is in his early 60's. He still doesn't have to wear glasses.

According to my eye doctor I'm getting cataracts, but it's still too early for my insurance to pay for it. I was a bit disappointed.

3. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

28,499 Messages
    3,264 Likes Received
    My friend had this done, one eye at a time with a laser...both eyes done in three days and he can see through walls! lol

When I was young, my mother had that surgery but they actually had to pop the eye out and then the doctor had to scrap the catarac off.

Stryker44 likes this.
  4. EST_1986

EST_1986 Well-Known Member

3,673 Messages
    3,339 Likes Received
    That eye popping and scraping made me cringe

5. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler

11,415 Messages
    6,093 Likes Received
    Cataract surgery today is a piece of cake. You will be seeing great in minimal time. My mom just got hers done at the Berkeley Eye Center in Houston and it worked wonders.

6. RastaRocket

RastaRocket Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.

6,294 Messages
    638 Likes Received
    [​IMG]

Wheeltax, Afigueroa22 and 5Stars like this.
  7. CliffnMesquite

4,481 Messages
    211 Likes Received
    Thanks guys. I'm having mine done at U.T. Southwestern in Dallas. I can't wait.

8. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

31,905 Messages
    8,349 Likes Received
    Same here. My mom had the surgery and loved and a man I work with had it about 3 years ago and is thrilled.

9. Stryker44

Stryker44 ^^^Skins Fan

1,889 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    How much does the procedure cost?

10. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Hunka Hunka Burning BP Staff Member

67,165 Messages
    13,461 Likes Received
    Good luck and let us know how it goes.

11. Wheeltax

Wheeltax Well-Known Member

1,399 Messages
    993 Likes Received
    Are they doing a corneal transplant, or is it a different procedure?

I have a transplant in my future thanks to fairly severe keratoconus, but they don't want to do it on me yet due to my age (30). Can't say I'm excited about the prospect of having eyeball surgery, but it would be nice to be able to see again.

12. CliffnMesquite

4,481 Messages
    211 Likes Received
    No. Mine is a cataract surgery. They suction out the old lens (cataract) and put in an artifical lens. It will last longer than I will.

I also have a cataract in my other eye but it's not bad enough yet for surgery. They may perscribe a contact to even out my vision.

My Mom had a corneal transplant but she was elderly at the time. Medical science has come a long way in the past Twenty years.
    I'm looking forward to the sugery.

13. Wheeltax

Wheeltax Well-Known Member

1,399 Messages
    993 Likes Received
    Ah, I thought they did the same thing for cataracts. Shows what I know! Good luck, I'm sure you are looking forward to it.

14. jobberone

jobberone Kane Ala Staff Member

48,357 Messages
    10,657 Likes Received
    Corneal transplant much, much bigger deal. Put off as long as you can. Torx implant is easy although doesn't always work out well the first time. They have ways of tweaking it with a cold laser. I'm getting mine down in 2-4 weeks. We can compare notes. GL.