1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

CBS: Josh Hamilton says Dallas isn't a baseball town, it's a football town

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Reality, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

11,839 Messages
    1,644 Likes Received
    Angels outfielder Josh Hamilton spent the last five seasons of his career with the Texas Rangers, whom he helped to a pair of World Series appearances and arguably the most successful run in franchise history. He's certainly familiar with the Dallas/Fort Worth sports scene, which he told CBSDFW.com's Gina Miller is not dominated by baseball.

“Texas, especially Dallas, has always been a football town," he said. "They're supportive, but they also got a little spoiled at the same time, pretty quickly. You think about three to four years ago [before the Rangers made it to the World Series]. It's like, come on man, are you happier there again?”

Hamilton, 31, is right, of course. The area -- and a gigantic chunk of Texas, really -- bleeds Dallas Cowboys blue even though the team has won one playoff game in the last 16 years. The city has experienced both an NBA championship and an NHL Stanley Cup since the most recent time that the Cowboys won a Super Bowl (their fifth), but those sports don't come close to the popularity of football in Dallas.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/e...osh-hamilton-says-dallas-isnt-a-baseball-town

/reality
  2. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

11,839 Messages
    1,644 Likes Received
    Cue the "sky is falling in Dallas for the Cowboys" crowd in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ...

/reality
  3. ragman

ragman Member

208 Messages
    16 Likes Received
    I know he's taking a lot of heat for saying this, but I don't know why. How many SBs have the Cowboys won? How many WS have the Rangers won? Pro sports is all about what have you done lately? Look at the TV ratings. Compare the Cowboys ratings to the Rangers ratings.
  4. SDCowboy85

SDCowboy85 Well-Known Member

15,272 Messages
    1,524 Likes Received
    Why is this a big deal? America isn't a baseball country anymore. I wouldn't expect Dallas (or Texas) to be.
  5. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,630 Messages
    1,392 Likes Received
    Staubach and Aikman in the past have talked about how Dallas is not a sports town, it is a winners town.
  6. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,852 Messages
    2,052 Likes Received
    So he went to a basketball town?
  7. Angus12

Angus12 Active Member

143 Messages
    99 Likes Received
    Is this what would be called, chumming the waters?

:laugh2:
  8. BringBackThatOleTimeBoys

BringBackThatOleTimeBoys Active Member

997 Messages
    172 Likes Received
    Josh may have been hinting fans were hard on the Rangers to win the World Series or else.

I don't think so.
  9. Ntegrase96

Ntegrase96 Well-Known Member

2,805 Messages
    1,324 Likes Received
    And last week most of Dallas was upset that the Rangers had overtaken the Cowboys in popularity.

Have nothing wrong with Hamilton said about it not being a baseball town or Rangers fans being 'spoiled'. That part is true. It's what he seemingly implied by stating it.

It all seems to be justification for being boo'd. He was boo'd because it didn't seem like he cared, not because fans had grown accustom to winning and being spoiled. A true baseball town would have REALLY berrated him.
  10. CowboyGil

CowboyGil Well-Known Member

1,167 Messages
    338 Likes Received
    God bless and Good luck staying clean in LA, Josh.
  11. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,154 Messages
    2,230 Likes Received
    Yep. The Dallas media is somehow trying to make this a story and it's not.
    Of course football is king in Texas. We have high shool stadiums here that would make some colleges green with envy.
  12. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

6,890 Messages
    1,015 Likes Received
    Yea Josh Hamilton is getting a unfair shake for his comments. Its correcet and i'm shocked its even being debated.

But in the defense of the people who are frustrated with him about his comments had they won those 2 World Series titles they lost in they probably would've had a bigger stake in Texas.

Rangers baseball has come along away. I've been following them since the mid 90's. I've seen it go from bad to worse to bad to pretty impressive.
  13. bigdnlaca

bigdnlaca Active Member

971 Messages
    32 Likes Received
    It is a Bball town in Los Angeles but in Orange County, it is all about baseball when it comes to professional sports. Also, factor in that they have CSU Fullerton baseball team.
  14. BringBackThatOleTimeBoys

BringBackThatOleTimeBoys Active Member

997 Messages
    172 Likes Received
    Suspect Josh simply thought fans were too hard on him here.

At least he had the sense not to go to the Yankees. :D
  15. TheCowboy

TheCowboy The Teen

2,528 Messages
    547 Likes Received
    This is true but Josh didn't have to say that. Wait until he comes back to Texas I can't wait. I have lost all respect for Josh Hamilton.
  16. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,630 Messages
    1,392 Likes Received
    With the guys history, how much respect did you really have for him in the first place? These comments are nothing compared to what he has done in the past. Plus they are true.
  17. IAmLegend

IAmLegend Well-Known Member

3,914 Messages
    1,191 Likes Received
    He's right. Rangers games were filled with empty seats before the team became relevant again over the past 5 years or so. Dallas is Cowboys territory by far.
  18. StylisticS

StylisticS Well-Known Member

8,414 Messages
    248 Likes Received
    While it is a Cowboys town and a Cowboys metro, the Rangers actually have always had solid support. It's not Boston or New York but it's not Florida or Tampa either.
  19. Section444

Section444 Well-Known Member

4,336 Messages
    843 Likes Received
    He's really going out on a limb there. Baseball is an insignificant sport in most parts of the country now, especially when compared to the likes of football.
  20. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,783 Messages
    1,173 Likes Received
    :)rolleyes:) But they took a poll, baseball won.