1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

CBS: Josh Hamilton says Dallas isn't a baseball town, it's a football town

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Reality, Feb 19, 2013.

1. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

11,010 Messages
    3,716 Likes Received
    I'm a long time Rangers fan but I never liked Hamilton. This is not the first interview where he was an arrogant .
  2. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,366 Messages
    376 Likes Received
    Not only a football town, it's a football State.
  3. ThreeandOut

ThreeandOut Well-Known Member

1,779 Messages
    121 Likes Received
    There aren't too many baseball towns anymore...Boston, St Louis, maybe NY.
  4. BoysFan4ever

BoysFan4ever Well-Known Member

4,620 Messages
    1,294 Likes Received
    Interesting that the Rangers drew 400K more fans than the Angels.

Guess we can draw the conclusion that the Rangers have a pretty supportive fan base.
  5. bigdnlaca

bigdnlaca Active Member

932 Messages
    28 Likes Received
    You are comparing a team like the Rangers that have Arlington, Dallas, Ft Worth, and other cities that come to a baseball game while the Angels compete with Dodgers and Padres (both about 45 - 75 minutes apart depending on traffic). A lot of people that lives in Orange County have choices on which game to go.

It would be better to do a comparison with a winning team that doesn't have competition with another MLB team.
  6. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

20,469 Messages
    789 Likes Received
    Also, the Ballpark at Arlington has a higher seating capacity than Anaheim Stadium. Around 2200 more, which is about 180,000 more people over a full 81 home game season.
  7. sideon

sideon Active Member

213 Messages
    100 Likes Received
    That argument is invalid since the Cowboys still get the lions share of attention.
  8. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,354 Messages
    1,860 Likes Received
    No.

Population wise LA and the surrounding area dwarfs DFW. And I'm sorry, but reaching all the down to San Diego is a bit of a stretch.
    In an apples vs apples scenario, comparing DFW's support of the Rangers, the LA area should be able to support probably 3 teams at the same rate....and for sure excluding San Diego.
    Really, tasking polulation into account DFW's support for the Rangers flat out dwarfs LA area's support for the Angels.
  9. MissouriCowboy

MissouriCowboy Member

323 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Hamilton is gonna be a bust WITH THE Angels and he fall of the wagon.
  10. bigdnlaca

bigdnlaca Active Member

932 Messages
    28 Likes Received
    I think you are using Los Angeles County. I am using Orange County which is not a part of Los Angeles and where the Angels are located. Orange County is right between L.A. and San Diego and depending on which part of Orange County you are in, you are an hr away @ most from San Diego or in L.A.

If someone lives in L.A., then they only have Dodgers or Angels. Padres would be too far. It's not about population, it is about the Rangers are the only ticket for baseball in that part of Texas when it comes to pros (I don't know what is like with college baseball over there).
  11. Ntegrase96

Ntegrase96 Well-Known Member

2,622 Messages
    1,103 Likes Received
    Two teams, yes. 3? Probably a stretch.

The LA metro area is about twice the size of the DFW metro area in terms of population (roughly 13 million to 6.5 million).

So I think the 2 teams is a pretty fair apples to apples comparison all things being equal.

But I do agree... I think it's odd to include the Padres.
  12. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,354 Messages
    1,860 Likes Received
    The greater LA area is 18-20 million (right at 18 mil in 2011 but it's much larger do to obvious reasons) and the greater Dallas area (or DFW and surrounding burbs) is about 6.5-7 mil.

But anyway, the point was support and even if it was apples/apples, I think we agree that DFW would win.
  13. superpunk

superpunk Benched

26,328 Messages
    73 Likes Received
    :laugh2:

But yeah they lose alot of fans to LA.
  14. Ntegrase96

Ntegrase96 Well-Known Member

2,622 Messages
    1,103 Likes Received
    Gotcha. Yeah if we're looking at combined statistical data then Greater LA dwarfs DFW and surrounding areas. There is just much heavier population density along the california coast and in other parts of Southern California than here in Dallas... DFW is basically a landlocked island. Same can be said about most of the major TX cities.
  15. BringBackThatOleTimeBoys

BringBackThatOleTimeBoys Active Member

825 Messages
    105 Likes Received
    The sting of Rangers fans turning on Josh is probably the main motivator of this remark.

I wonder if privately Ryan and Daniels are hoping Hamilton continues to be a high-priced yo-yo, only for their divisional opponent. Like when the Iggles traded McNabb to the Redskins.
  16. BlueStar3398

BlueStar3398 Active Member

1,544 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Very true.
  17. BringBackThatOleTimeBoys

BringBackThatOleTimeBoys Active Member

825 Messages
    105 Likes Received
    [youtube]zy_TyT3_PZo[/youtube]