1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: CBS:Report: Packers might sit down Aaron Rodgers for rest of season

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by jobberone, Dec 1, 2013.

1. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

36,616 Messages
    3,345 Likes Received
    Report: Packers might sit down Aaron Rodgers for rest of season
    By Josh Katzowitz | NFL Writer

[IMG]It now appears there's a chance we won't be seeing Aaron Rodgers for the rest of the year.(USATSI)

Since Aaron Rodgers broke his collarbone in Week 8, the Packers have been in a freefall, losing four games since and tying one to fall to a record of 5-6-1 and putting them on the cusp of missing the playoffs for the first time since 2008.

Though Rodgers practiced for the first time last week, he didn't play in the team's Thanksgiving loss to the Lions, and according to NFL.com, the team is worried Rodgers won't be ready to play in Week 14 -- which apparently was his target return date all along.

And if Rodgers can't play and it appears as though Green Bay is out of the playoff race,NFL.com reports it's possible the Packers will sit down Rodgers for the rest of the season so he can't do any further damage to his collarbone.

And if that's the case, Green Bay would be lucky to win another game this season.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...ght-sit-down-aaron-rodgers-for-rest-of-season
  2. kramskoi

kramskoi Well-Known Member

1,326 Messages
    123 Likes Received
    I think that there is some creative PR going on where Rodgers is concerned. Hard to give up on a season, especially for fans...especially for a passer like Aaron. As always, a team must weigh what can be gained versus what can be lost in rushing a player back to the field. NFL.com's Sessler reports the same and cites a crumbling offensive line as one of the chief culprits hampering the offense. Would they put Rodgers in that type of situation to retain playoff hopes? Could he hold up for 8 more games, assuming they could ultimately reach the Superbowl? Seems a stretch.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...ron-rodgers-would-be-lucky-to-play-in-week-14
  3. Redball Express

Redball Express All Aboard!!!

3,036 Messages
    284 Likes Received
    I think he needs to lose the stash and take a pain shot and play.

I don't see him missing the rest of the season over it.

Didn't Romo have to deal with a similar injury a few years back and he came back to play.

This seems like a disinformation article to me.

We will see.
  4. Don Corleone

Don Corleone Well-Known Member

4,314 Messages
    184 Likes Received
    Romo was out for the season on the same injury. No way any Cowboy fan bought into the original 2 to 4 week timeline. Aikman came back in 6 weeks in 1998.
  5. KB1122

KB1122 Well-Known Member

1,354 Messages
    292 Likes Received
    FIFY
  6. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,759 Messages
    197 Likes Received
    They need to sit him...

At this point they would have to win out AND have some help from other teams to make the post-season... it ain't happening...

No reason to risk your franchise player at this point...
    ScipioCowboy likes this.
  7. Lonestar94

Lonestar94 Well-Known Member

3,182 Messages
    484 Likes Received
    Welcome back..where you been?
  8. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Zone Supporter

14,820 Messages
    2,034 Likes Received
    Yes, I agree. They should sit him...mainly because I would rather Dallas play a Rodgers-less Packers team. I ain't too proud to admit that.
    pjtoadie likes this.
  9. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,759 Messages
    197 Likes Received
    I'm around... good to see you LS...
  10. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,432 Messages
    387 Likes Received
    Wouldn't take much to re-break his collar bone, bet they sit him.
  11. hipfake08

hipfake08 Well-Known Member

4,204 Messages
    55 Likes Received
    Aside from the help it would be for us for him to sit.

Rodgers did say he would not play where it would put his career in jepordy.
    I agree with him fully on this. No need at this point where Detriot is a bit ahead and the risk versus reward is slim.
    Look at what the Redskins did with RGIII.
    And look at what the Packers have to gain... A meeting - maybe - with Seattle in Seattle.
    I would wait till next year.
  12. ravidubey

ravidubey Active Member

4,864 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    If he's healthy he should play. Anything is possible when it comes to the NFL playoffs, but you can't win if you don't get in and without Rodgers they have no chance.

But if he's still hurt-- at all-- they need to sit him.
  13. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

19,243 Messages
    567 Likes Received
    I don't want to celebrate anyone's injury, but things are really shaping up for the Cowboys.
    Bears = Cutler's out
    Packers = Rodgers' likely out
    Redskins = RGIII isn't totally healed
    Eagles = Vick's out
  14. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

29,556 Messages
    5,289 Likes Received
    Detroit can really help us out this weekend. If we're lucky enough to beat CHI, and GB gets by ATL, I can see them pushing things if PHI also gets DET. But if DET is up two games with three to play, things look a lot better for sitting Rodgers for us next week. Go ATL, Go Lions.