1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

CF31's Quick Mock Offseason

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by cowboysfan31, Jan 7, 2012.

1. cowboysfan31

cowboysfan31 Active Member

1,292 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Free Agents Not Returning
    Alan Ball
    Martellus Bennett
    Keith Brooking
    Derrick Dockery
    Abram Elam
    Bradie James
    Anthony Spencer
    Frank Walker

Free Agents Re-Signed
    Mat McBriar
    Montrae Holland
    Jesse Holley (RFA)
    Kevin Ogletree (RFA)
    Laurent Robinson
    Tony Fiammetta

Players Cut/Retired
    Jon Kitna
    Terrence Newman
    Orlando Scandrick

Free Agents Signed
    Carl Nicks G- With several high priced free agents, NO can't sign them all. Nicks is an all-pro that would give our OL a big boost.

Brandon Carr CB- Big, young, physical CB. Has experience playing in man coverage.

Tyvon Branch S- Drafted as a CB before moving to S. Very active player that is a tackling machine with ability in coverage.

Draft
    1(14) The Cardinals play spoiler again this year, taking DeCastro right from infront of our face. With no other players at 14 really worth the pick IMO, I believe we explore a trade. My guess is Tennessee likes Michael Floyd, and wants to jump ahead of the Eagles to grab him. Officially Dallas trades #14 to Tennessee for #20 their 3rd rounder.

1(20 via trade) Donta Hightower LB Alabama 6'4" 260lbs- Physically imposing LB that has been the playercaller for the nation's best defense. Not asked to rush the QB as much as Upshaw, but does have the flexibility to play inside or outside in the NFL. Also has the capability to be the physcial/emotional leader that everyone is looking for.

2(45) Jayron Hosley CB Virginia Tech 5'10" 170lbs- Led the nation in INTs last year. Undersized, but plays aggressive and is very smooth. Also a dangerous punt returner.

3(83) Marcus Forston DL Miami 6'3" 300lbs- Explosive athlete when healthy, but has had 2 seasons ended by injury. Mentally tough and mature, comes from a tough background but has stayed out of trouble and is turning pro to support his family. When healthy, some people compare his play to Warren Sapp.

3(84 via trade) Amini Silatolu OL Midwestern St 6'3" 320lbs- Small school LT that plays with a mean streak. Has the strength to compete in the NFL from the start, but will need to work on technique and may need to move inside. Compares favorably to Carl Nicks' current teammate, Jahri Evans.

4(114) Ladarius Green TE La-Lafayette 6'6" 240lbs- Phillips hasn't looked the same since his injury and Bennett may not return. Green is a tall, athletic receiving TE who gives good effort blocking but will need to get stronger.

5(145) Keith Tandy CB West Virginia 5'10" 195lbs- Recruited as a QB, he learned the CB spot as a RS freshman. Plays the ball well and shows good feel for routes because of his offensive experience, but lacks defensive experience and can be overly aggressive.

6(176) Jerry Franklin ILB Arkansas 6'1" 240lbs- We lack depth at the LB position. All Franklin does is make plays, he may lack the size to be an every down player, but could be a special teams ace and valuable backup.

6(Bowen Comp) Chris Rainey RB/WR/ST Florida 5'8" 175lbs- Special teams demon with the ability to take it to the house everytime he touches the ball. Has some character concerns, and size/durability seems to always make guys like him drop but he could be worth the risk.

7(207) James Brown OT Troy 6'4" 318lbs- JC transfer that has improved every year as a LT. Was a HS weightlifting champion and has the feet to stay outside, but still needs more experience. Should give Parnell some competition for the backup OT spot.
  2. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,152 Messages
    2,784 Likes Received
    Not a bad effort.

I don't think McBriar is coming back due to his age and his health problem. It sounds pretty serious to me.
  3. cowboysfan31

1,292 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I considered putting Drew Butler of Georgia in the 7th round, but Chris Jones looked like he might have a future if McBriar can't continue. Nerve damage never sounds good, but I still hope he can give us a few good years.
  4. MichaelWinicki

32,152 Messages
    2,784 Likes Received
    Jones being a lefty looks like he could create some issues for punt-returners.

He could be the guy.
  5. hsfolk

hsfolk Member

360 Messages
    23 Likes Received
    NO only needs to sign Brees ahead of Nicks and free up cap space. I'm expecting Carl to get the franchise tag.
  6. cowboysfan31

1,292 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Marques Colston, Robert Meachem, and Tracy Porter will also be free agents.
  7. hsfolk

hsfolk Member

360 Messages
    23 Likes Received
    the only one from that list the could be back is Colston, but it's more important to protect Brees if you are going to fork over a very large contract
  8. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,776 Messages
    1,691 Likes Received
    What are we giving up to trade up?
  9. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    If we don't re-sign Spencer, I'd prefer to go the FA route to replace him.

I wouldn't want to have to depend on a rookie. It's too important a position on the defense, imo.
  10. MichaelWinicki

32,152 Messages
    2,784 Likes Received
    I agree.

Spencer sat for a year before he started.

It's not the pass rush that concerns me... Upshaw and the rest, I think they can come in and know how to rush the passer, but playing the run and even more so, playing coverage concerns me.

I could see a guy coming in as a rookie and having a half-dozen sacks like Spencer would give the team. I think they would be considerably less good vs the run and probably be lost in their coverage responsibilities.
  11. cowboysfan31

1,292 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    We are trading down, not up. The proposed trade would be our 1st (14th overall) for Tennessee's 1st (20th overall), and their 3rd (84th overall). I put that at the end of the description for the 14th pick, but poor proofreading on my part makes it hard to understand.
  12. cowboysfan31

1,292 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    But if DeCastro is gone, who are you going to take that is going to be more game ready on day 1? CB probably has a bigger NFL learning curve than OLB does. I think someone like Upshaw or Hightower will be more ready for our scheme coming from an NFL-style 3-4 already, where as any CB is going to have to get used to the way things are called in the NFL.

A LB that misses a gap assignment still has people behind him to hopefully catch his mistake. A CB that is overly physical, or bites on double moves is going to hurt us more IMO. I would rather spend the money on a CB, and try to find a pass rusher in the draft.
  13. MichaelWinicki

32,152 Messages
    2,784 Likes Received
    The difference is that a corner coming in probably isn't going to be a starter, but probably the 3rd corner, so there won't be as much pressure.

Plus I'm not so sure the learning curve at CB is steeper than at OLB... Especially on the strong-side, where they have to deal with the TE all the time. I think manning Ware's position, i.e. the weakside would be easier to learn.
  14. TheSport78

TheSport78 The Excellence of Execution

8,444 Messages
    421 Likes Received
    Agreed. I'd be down for Cliff Avril, Mario Williams or even Manny Lawson...
  15. MichaelWinicki

32,152 Messages
    2,784 Likes Received
    I think Williams or Lawson are going to be a mint.
  16. TheSport78

TheSport78 The Excellence of Execution

8,444 Messages
    421 Likes Received
    The ironic thing is, we'd be getting rid of a Boilermaker in Spencer for another Boilermaker in Avril. Avril played LB in college and according to his scouting report, seems to be a perfect fit for the 3-4...
  17. MichaelWinicki

32,152 Messages
    2,784 Likes Received
    Yeah Avril is OK.
  18. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,596 Messages
    1,559 Likes Received
    we need a decided upgrade to Spencer; I do not see that in Avril
  19. Wimbo

Wimbo Active Member

4,133 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I seriously doubt Scandrick is going to get cut.
  20. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,596 Messages
    1,559 Likes Received
    took a closer look at Avril. Maybe. But what will he cost?