1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Chicken Fried Steak

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by Meat-O-Rama, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Meat-O-Rama

Meat-O-Rama Vegetarians are so stupid.

2,251 Messages
    44 Likes Received
    Any chicken fried steak masters here? I love me some CFS, but my one attempt at making it was a disaster...

I'd love tips/recipes to try making it again.
  2. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,933 Messages
    1,000 Likes Received
    I'm an expert at eating chick fried steak. As to making it, haven't a clue.
  3. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    One of the best meals on the planet. It does not exist in the northeast though... :(

...not that my wife would allow me to eat it. :laugh2:
  4. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,744 Messages
    2,420 Likes Received
    Oh I will be watching this thread. I too love it, but my efforts have not been very good.
  5. SaltwaterServr

SaltwaterServr Blank Paper Offends Me

8,124 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The secret, at least my secret, is buttermilk.
  6. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Never been a fan mainly because I don't care for gravy.

Yeah that's right a fat man that does like gravy. :laugh1:
  7. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Well, obviously you are one ****ed up mother****er.

Even skinny people love gravy!!! :laugh2:
  8. CowboyMike

CowboyMike Stay Thirsty, My Friends

5,200 Messages
    98 Likes Received
    I learned from the best, my dad.

How did you make yours? Maybe I can pinpoint what went wrong?
  9. Meat-O-Rama

Meat-O-Rama Vegetarians are so stupid.

2,251 Messages
    44 Likes Received
    I used the following recipe. The batter didn't stick, and it came apart and made the oil all dirty.
    Ingredients

• Steak
    • 3cups unbleached all-purpose flour
    • 1/8teaspoon cayenne pepper
    • 1 large egg
    • 1teaspoon baking powder
    • 1/2teaspoon baking soda
    • 1cup buttermilk
    • 6 cube steaks , about 5 ounces each, pounded to 1/3 inch thickness
    • 4 - 5cups peanut oil
    • Cream Gravy
    • 1 medium onion , minced
    • 1/8teaspoon dried thyme
    • 2medium cloves garlic , minced or pressed through a garlic press
    • 3tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
    • 1/2cup low-sodium chicken broth
    • 2cups whole milk
    • 3/4teaspoon table salt
    • 1/4teaspoon ground black pepper
    • Cayenne pepper
    Instructions

1. 1. For the steaks: Measure the flour, 5 teaspoons salt, 1 teaspoon black pepper, and cayenne into a large shallow dish. In a second large shallow dish, beat the egg, baking powder, and baking soda; stir in the buttermilk (the mixture will bubble and foam).
    2. 2. Set a wire rack over a rimmed baking sheet. Pat the steaks dry with paper towels and sprinkle each side with salt and pepper to taste. Drop the steaks into the flour and shake the pan to coat. Shake excess flour from each steak, then, using tongs, dip the steaks into the egg mixture, turning to coat well and allowing the excess to drip off. Coat the steaks with flour again, shake off the excess, and place them on the wire rack.
    3. 3. Adjust an oven rack to the middle position, set a second wire rack over a second rimmed baking sheet, and place the sheet on the oven rack; heat the oven to 200 degrees. Line a large plate with a double layer of paper towels. Meanwhile, heat 1 inch of oil in a large (11-inch diameter) Dutch oven over medium-high heat to 375 degrees. Place three steaks in the oil and fry, turning once, until deep golden brown on each side, about 5 minutes (oil temperature will drop to around 335 degrees). Transfer the steaks to the paper towel-lined plate to drain, then transfer them to the wire rack in the oven. Bring the oil back to 375 degrees and repeat the cooking and draining process (use fresh paper towels) with the three remaining steaks.
    4. 4. For the gravy: Carefully pour the hot oil through a fine-mesh strainer into a clean pot. Return the browned bits from the strainer along with 2 tablespoons of frying oil back to the Dutch oven. Turn the heat to medium, add the onion and thyme, and cook until the onion has softened and is beginning to brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until aromatic, about 30 seconds. Add the flour to the pan and stir until well combined and starting to dissolve, about 1 minute. Whisk in the broth, scraping any browned bits off the bottom of the pan. Whisk in the milk, salt, pepper, and cayenne; bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Cook until thickened (gravy should have a loose consistency—it will thicken as it cools), about 5 minutes.
    5. 5. Transfer the chicken-fried steaks to individual plates. Spoon a generous amount of gravy over each steak. Serve immediately, placing any remaining gravy in a small bowl.
  10. CowboyMike

CowboyMike Stay Thirsty, My Friends

5,200 Messages
    98 Likes Received
    Hm. The dutch oven thing is new to me. So is the egg/buttermilk mixture. We don't use eggs, baking powder, or baking soda. Just pure buttermilk (or even sometimes regular milk in a pinch.) This is simple, Texas, chuckwagon cooking. Nothing fancy. Just good grub.

Season the flour how you prefer. Salt, black pepper, and cayenne is the usual. Dredge the cube steak in the flour and shake off the excess. You don't want a thick layer of flour, just enough to coat lightly. You should still be able to see the texture of the cube steak and maybe some red. Dredge it in the buttermilk and shake off excess. Finally, back into the flour one last time. You don't want to have too much coating. The star is the meat.

Use a cast iron skillet with about a 1/4 inch of oil. I'm thinking perhaps your oil wasn't hot enough, which made the batter disperse. Make sure it does get up to the 360-375 range. Also, make sure your cube steak is room temperature before you start. A cold steak in hot oil is not a good thing. Drop the steaks into the oil and cook until crispy brown. No need to put it in the oven, in my opinion. The only reason to do that would be to keep them warm. Just put them on a rack or plate with paper towel to suck out the extra grease.

Gravy

That is the weirdest country gravy recipe I have ever seen. All you need is about 5 or 6 tbsp butter and/or oil in a pot on medium heat. Gradually whisk in flour, slowly cooking it until you have a golden brown pasty but smooth rue. The key is to keep whisking constantly as you add so it does not get lumpy. Immediately start slowly adding milk until it is a golden/white color and you have the consistency you desire. The gravy will thicken as it keeps cooking. Add spices as you desire. Salt and pepper (lots of pepper) are the norm. My dad puts something in his gravy that I can't figure out and he won't tell me, but it's fantastic. It's just kind of your thing to play with as far as spices go.

Good luck! Practice practice practice.
  11. brymatt94

brymatt94 Active Member

453 Messages
    192 Likes Received

This has to be the greatest chicken fried steak I've ever tasted :bow: (He's my dad too):)
  12. Teren_Kanan

Teren_Kanan Well-Known Member

1,671 Messages
    157 Likes Received
    CFS is awful.

So unbelievably awful. It takes something delicious (a steak) and ruins it.

Yuck, gravy or no.

ah well, Good luck with your recipes =p
  13. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Communist
  14. VietCowboy

VietCowboy Be Realistic. Demand the Impossible.

2,918 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I've had some good and bad ones, the bad ones are overly oily, drenched in gravy, and too salty. But, if done correctly, is really good.
  15. pupulehaole

pupulehaole Well-Known Member

1,426 Messages
    127 Likes Received
    :lmao2::lmao2::bow::lmao2::lmao2:
  16. Wimbo

Wimbo Active Member

4,133 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    one common mistake when frying something (in addition to not having a good oil temperature) is moving the meat around too much. This causes the batter to come off before it sets, resulting in the 'dirty oil' someone mentioned earlier. Ideally, once you put your CFS in the hot oil, you dont want to turn it until the first side is done.
  17. Yeagermeister

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Hey at least I'll own up to it :laugh1:
  18. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,081 Messages
    2,867 Likes Received
    Hate to say it but outside the state of Texas I have yet to find anyone who can make a true chicken fried steak with milk cream gravey. Even serveral resturants here give you nothing but breaded and pounded hamburger meat.
  19. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

50,133 Messages
    4,330 Likes Received
    There is one of those "Country Style" restaurants down the road from my place that serves a killer chicken friend steak or chicken fried chicken. A couple of veggies and dinner rolls and cram down a slice of pie and it's nap time.
  20. Yeagermeister

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    I have never understood the difference between chicken fried chicken and fried chicken. :confused: