1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: CN: A Chat with K.C. Joyner, Part III: Finding the Romo Sweet Spot

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Oct 12, 2011.

1. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,104 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    Oct 12 2011 | CommentsPart III of my chat with ESPN Insider K.C. Joyner gets to the Romo of the matter, and looks at that elusive sweet spot, where Romo's play-making and bad decisions are in positive balance. Cowboys Nat...
    http://www.cowboysnation.com/2011/10/kc-romo.html
    More Link
    Cowboys vs. Patriots Preview, Part One: Arming for the Shootout
    Oct 11 2011 | CommentsWhen the Cowboys Have the BallThe Cowboys return to action off the bye week, more fit than they have been at any point since the kickoff opening night. Miles Austin is expected to return from h...

Posted by Rafael at Wednesday, October 12, 2011
    Part III of my chat with ESPN Insider K.C. Joyner gets to the Romo of the matter, and looks at that elusive sweet spot, where Romo's play-making and bad decisions are in positive balance.

Cowboys Nation: Let's go to the main player. This is a game that still hasn't gone down for Cowboys fans. We're crazy if we don't start at the top. We can discuss him in the Lions game, but I'd like you to position him in a broader context. Looking at him from the pre-season until now, I'm seeing some of the bad habits that bit him early in 2009. This is a guy who is a danger to himself on 1st-and-10, which should be a quarterback's down.
  2. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

17,241 Messages
    1,406 Likes Received
    This says a ton....

K.C. Joyner: I'm going to compare him to Brett Favre. There were times in Favre's career where he could be the best decision maker in football. You mentioned 2009. I just pulled up a chart on bad decisions and that season Brett Favre was tied for the lowest bad decision percentage in the league.

Now, we know Favre is a gunslinger. He's a guy who over his career would just fling it. There's no receiver who's covered in his eyes. He thinks, "I can get the ball in there." Lots of times it seemed he was just saying, "what the heck. I'm taking the chance." But that '09 season proved he could play a tighter game.

Tony Romo, that same year, had a 1.4 bad decision percentage. It was 3rd best in the league. So Romo is capable of being that type of quarterback. That brings up Jon Kitna, who early in his career was one of the worst bad decision makers in the game. I almost named the metric after him. He was the poster child for bad decisions. Last year he was 2nd in bad decisions. He was that good.

Quarterbacks can make up their minds to play more under control.
  3. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,878 Messages
    7,610 Likes Received
    This is great. Critical of Tony and, I think, very fair and right on.