1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: CN: Are They Just Young, or Incapable?

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by CCBoy, Oct 20, 2011.

1. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

16,503 Messages
    1,065 Likes Received
    Are They Just Young, or Incapable?

Posted by Rafael at Wednesday, October 19, 2011

http://www.cowboysnation.com/2011/10/are-they-just-young-or-incapable.html

Here's part of the job description for center from Dallas' scouting directive:

-- He's responsible for pocket depth.
    -- He must get movement in the running game.
    -- He must be athletic enough to block after snapping the ball. He must have quickness and balance and strength.

Many of these same qualities apply to guard. The interior three linemen set pocket depth. They need to anchor against power rushers and give their quarterback room to slide or step up away from edge pressure. We've seen inconsistent play from the rookies this year. Left guard Bill Nagy has been up and down. Rookie right tackle Tyron Smith has had his share of bad plays. Mixed with the bad plays, however are good ones. Two plays before Smith gave up a sack to Andre Carter, he put Gerard Warren on his back on a short-down running play....
  2. Tex

Tex Active Member

558 Messages
    34 Likes Received
    I enjoy the author and as usual he brings up interesting points and uses specific examples to back up his thoughts.

Good job

Tex
  3. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,788 Messages
    2,068 Likes Received
    I think these guys are just young. Blocking is not just about 1 on 1 matchups much of it is cohesiveness along the line. I do think an off season in the weight room and conditioning will be a big help but I also think much of the problems is this Oline is green. At times they can look very good the writer pulls plays from the NE game yet if you look at their play vs a stout Det defensive line these young guys held their own.

Many of us expected the ups and downs with a young line I guess it should not come as a surprise how quick some will give up on youth.
  4. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

16,503 Messages
    1,065 Likes Received
    With the additions of Holland and shortly, Dockery, we shall have a comparison as to degree of change that comes with more size in the center of the offensive line.
  5. Doomsday101

75,788 Messages
    2,068 Likes Received
    I would expect vets to have an upper hand over guys who are green. Mark Stepknowski was not a big man but very capable of doing the job. It is not just about size to be a quality lineman
  6. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,636 Messages
    2,424 Likes Received
    Certainly being "bull-rushed" by an ILB isn't a good thing.

However, Costa's strength numbers coming out of the combine were good.

Yeah he has reportedly shorter arms than what are ideal for an NFL lineman, but his strength hasn't been questioned.

I'd have to consider chalking up his poor game vs NE due to a technique problem and maybe being overwhelmed with line calls. I wonder if he was overly concerned with what was happening with his guards.

Anyway, I think he needs to be given more time.
  7. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

17,414 Messages
    1,223 Likes Received
    It seems to me that this line just gets overwhelmed by size matchups. They struggle when matched-up against 350 lb monsters. I thought they held their own in the games against the Redskins and Lions but it looked like they couldn't get any movement against the behemoths in New England.

Hopefully they'll have more success against the (somewhat) smaller defensive linemen we face over the next few weeks.
  8. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,608 Messages
    102 Likes Received
    Well I don't think this will just go away. Defenses see film, and they figure out who to attack on the OL. All our of our interior linemen have targets on their chests by the opposition right now, and it is up to them to change that.
  9. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,852 Messages
    877 Likes Received
    I think this assumes that, for whatever reason, it takes more time to gel in run blocking than pass blocking because the line has been pass blocking well right off the bat.

Maybe it does take longer, but it seems somewhat counter intuitive to suggest JUST poor run blocking is a result of inexperience.

To me, pass blocking would make more sense in terms of saying a line has to learn to play well together. Run blocking IS more about winning those 1 on 1 match ups, which is not to say it doesn't require cohesiveness.
  10. Phrozen Phil

Phrozen Phil Active Member

3,876 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    Good points made here by you guys. I believe it's youth. Larry Allen had his "coachable " moments here early in his career. As I recall, he turned out pretty well.
  11. Doomsday101

75,788 Messages
    2,068 Likes Received
    I think it is both in terms of coming together as a line not just pass blocking. I do think this line is built more like the past offensive lines of the Denver Broncos where they would run a lot of stretch plays and allow the RB to find the cut back lane.
  12. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

16,503 Messages
    1,065 Likes Received
    On point...and that boils down to holding the front edge of the pocket in protection and drive blocking to open up a hole. That is addressed with increased strength as well as technique. But the best alternative, is mobile size.
  13. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

16,503 Messages
    1,065 Likes Received
    When this group reaches similar outside stretch plays consistently, or open cut back lanes in a Garrett run scheme....give me a call.
  14. Doomsday101

75,788 Messages
    2,068 Likes Received
    I'll need your phone number 1st. :D

I think Garrett will make adjustments as they try to develop a better running attack. I also know with a line that lacks much experiance it will not happen quickly. Then again many of us said this before the start of the season.

I think this group will improve as we move on.
  15. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

16,503 Messages
    1,065 Likes Received
    Your initial chart now has an overlay, with more experienced and larger linemen in the projection lines...BR549...and ask for Junior.
  16. HoosierCowboy

HoosierCowboy Put Pearson in the HOF

2,101 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    rather have young and incapable than old and the same
  17. Doomsday101

75,788 Messages
    2,068 Likes Received
    As I said I think this line will improve. Saying improved does not mean we go from where we are right now to the #1 rushing offense it means I think our running game will make positive strides to the point it is not a liability.
  18. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

16,503 Messages
    1,065 Likes Received
    Myself, I kind of am partial to meatloaf and cheese enchiladas at a buffet....