1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: CN: Cowboys Defensive Line Rotation - Return of the Jimmy Johnson Wave

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jun 11, 2014.

1. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

9,146 Messages
    779 Likes Received
    Yes. There's a difference in having a wave of quality defensive players to throw at offenses vs. having a wave of so-so defensive players.

Right now, this line is just made up of journeymen, injured and unknowns. A far cry from a line that included an established star (Haley), two early first-round picks (Casillas, Maryland) and another first-rounder (Jeffcoat) supplemented by players like Tolbert, Jimmie Jones, Lett and Hennings.

We might get lucky and hit on a few of the players we've brought in, but it would take a lot of luck to build a wave anywhere near what we had. We'll probably come closer to having players more similar to those last four than those first first.
    ufcrules1 likes this.
  2. GimmeTheBall!

GimmeTheBall! Junior College Transfer

12,969 Messages
    722 Likes Received
    Hmmm. you member that gal who told Rhett Butler in "From here to Eternity" that "as hmm hmm is my witness, I will never root for the Crimson Tide"? well, that dialog would fall by the wayside if she used the big G.

As to the court I am a special citizen and not subject to silly courts and the whims of officials who try to tell me how to roll. The only one i anser to is Ms. Busty because she is the law of the land. and she is so good looking and she tell me she likes me because if half a big, big heart as all of you know.
  3. birdwells1

birdwells1 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,366 Messages
    489 Likes Received
    Are we the only team that still hold on to the success of 20 years ago?
  4. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

66,079 Messages
    5,593 Likes Received
    Doubt it...
  5. Bowdown27

Bowdown27 Well-Known Member

2,602 Messages
    223 Likes Received
    I'm excited to see this d line. Love how the rotation will be and how we can keep everyone rested.
    jobberone likes this.
  6. jday

jday Well-Known Member

2,820 Messages
    686 Likes Received
    I have a similiar mantra and earth-bound-ruler. I was not, however, aware my Ms Busty had a twin. Small world after all.
  7. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

50,133 Messages
    4,330 Likes Received
    At least we have big successes to hold onto.
  8. jobberone

jobberone Genetically engineered moderating Orangutan Staff Member

37,540 Messages
    3,829 Likes Received
    No. Not at all. Legacy counts. It's just not as important as production in the here and now. If it didn't count then someone would wear 12 game days.
  9. jobberone

jobberone Genetically engineered moderating Orangutan Staff Member

37,540 Messages
    3,829 Likes Received
    DE: Selvie5, Lawrence7/5*, Crawford5/3, Bass5/3, Spencer5/7*?PUP, Mincey7, Gardner5, Rayford7, Wilson7, Bush7
    DT: Melton3, McClain1/3, Bishop1, Coleman1, Hayden1, Okoye?, Whaley?3/5

Locks: Melton, McClain, Lawrence, Crawford, Bass, (Spencer*PUP) = 5
    Probables: Selvie, one of Bishop, Coleman, Hayden, Okoye, unknown player = 1-2
    Possibles: one of Rayford, Wilson, unknown player = 0-1
    Long shots: Okoye, Whaley, Gardner, three of Bishop, Coleman, Hayden, Okoye = 0-2
    Not enough data: Bush

Please add or subtract any players I missed. I tried to get it up to date. I don't know Okoye, Whaley, Gardner, Bishop, Coleman, Mincey, or Wilson well enough to say a lot and I might have some out of position.
    Bullflop likes this.
  10. Bullflop

Bullflop Well-Known Member

2,232 Messages
    572 Likes Received
    Truthfully, I'm anything but bereft of hopefulness for our current group of candidates to take charge of our DL this year. In fact, I'm pretty enthused about our chances of showing significant improvement in 2014. Players like DeMarcus Lawrence, Tyrone Crawford, Ben Bass, Henry Melton, Terrell McClain, George Selvie and Ben Gardner all have me awaiting their 2014 initiations with great anticipation. Even FA Davon Coleman has his possibilities, IMO, although he may very well end up on the practice squad to be further developed for a year or two. I understand he was a highly talented pass rusher and run plugger at AZ State.
    Redball Express likes this.
  11. Bullflop

Bullflop Well-Known Member

2,232 Messages
    572 Likes Received
    Exactly so, imo. Although Crawford is reputed to be a relentless pass rusher, I think his strength is his most compelling ticket to excelling as a DT. The entire staff and the players as well are quite high on Crawford to be a standout this year. Even Romo is bragging shamelessly on him. We should all hope he's 100% doggone tootin' about that.
  12. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,716 Messages
    1,812 Likes Received
    Agree
  13. AlterEgo

AlterEgo Member

223 Messages
    22 Likes Received
    I wouldn't call myself a happy fan and I realize I don't know much about this defensive line but I hold out hope for a surprise this year. Having a number of average (on paper) d-linemen that can be fresh for all 4 quarters and more important, stay healthy for most of the season could be an improvement over last year. The other thing I'm hoping for, is this defensive group gets so tired of reading about how they're going to be awful that it sparks something inside them.

Hey, I have to hold out hope for something. Otherwise, it would be a boring season.
  14. Tractor1

Tractor1 Member

194 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    While the questions about the caliber of rushmen the Cowboys currently employ are legitimate, the belief that one or more players will raise their level of play is also.

The chance for considerable playing time is on the line when camp begins. It seems those in responsible positions have a plan for how they want to play defense, and have moved to sign and draft players who exhibit those abilities. I'm hoping that a few might even approach being a handfull for opposing offensive linemen.
  15. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,825 Messages
    1,767 Likes Received
    I just don't see it. We did nothing to upgrade at any position. Lots of unproven guys and journeymen.
    CopenhagenCowboy likes this.
  16. birdwells1

birdwells1 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,366 Messages
    489 Likes Received
    I just don't see how a team built 20 years ago before the salary cap era has anything to do with building a team today. The problem with being successful, like Jerry was in the early 90s, is that you tend to think that "if I can't get a wr like Micheal, a te like Novachek, and a qb like Troy we can just sign fa along the line and we'll be alright.

This organization needs to let go of the 90s glory years and make a mark in history themselves
  17. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

30,498 Messages
    6,224 Likes Received
    No definite upgrades, other than the depth. We probably upgraded the 1-tech though. And we've got several players who *could* end up being upgrades, they're just, as you say, really unproven. The biggest thing that can be said for the DL is that it should be more consistent in terms of personnel as we won't be counting on guys like Spencer and Ratliff who really never got on the field, won't be juggling roster spots on those positions the way we were, and we've reduced the injury exposure by not relying on so many older players. That consistency is pretty important, though. We trotted out such a dog's-breakfast last season, it's no wonder it was a mess.
  18. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,464 Messages
    925 Likes Received
    If Melton is the guy who played for Marinelli in 2012 then we've got a massive upgrade at the 3 tech. He was an absolute beast. The 1-tech upgrade is not much to crow about - almost an "anyone is better" situation. Mincey/Lawrence will be an upgrade over the DWare of the last half of the season but we'll likely be unhappy as I expect he has a bit of a resurgence in Denver playing opposite Von Miller.
  19. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,607 Messages
    1,568 Likes Received

no way can anyone claim this group is near the talent of that group. If they are above average and all stay reasonably healthy so that we can keep platooning them, then we will have a definite improvement. Like from 32nd to maybe 20-25 or so.
  20. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,825 Messages
    1,767 Likes Received
    Sorry, but Melton won't get close to Hatcher's production last year. Never has, never will.
    CopenhagenCowboy and birdwells1 like this.