1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

CN: Cowboys Draft 2012: Who Offers an Upgrade?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Feb 28, 2012.

1. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,117 Messages
    116 Likes Received
    Posted by Rafael at Tuesday, February 28, 2012
    Cowboys scouting director Tom Ciskowski once explained the week-to-week process of assessing talent to the press . Scouts on the road are sent recordings of Cowboys games and compare collegians to players already on the Cowboys roster. When a prospect is viewed, the scout is asked to rate where he would fit on a depth chart. Can he challenge a starter right away? In a year? Can he beat out the reserves right away?

We're hours away from the end of the Combine. Based on what we've seen thus far, which players offer a clear upgrade over the veterans in the 2011 lineup?

Offense
    Guards -- The 2011 incumbents were Kyle Kosier, Bill Nagy and Montrae Holland. David DeCastro would walk into Dallas and be the best guard in the lineup. The same could also be said of Cordy Glenn.
  2. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

24,177 Messages
    11,385 Likes Received
    I don't like that mindset. "Who offers an upgrade?" is a question you ask when you draft for need.

Draft talent. Then you won't have so many needs.
  3. 28 Joker

28 Joker 28 Joker

7,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    DeCastro and Glenn should already be very strong in a head-to-head match-up against Ingram, Poe, and Barron, so I sure hope it does come down to DeCastro or Glenn vs Kosier, Holland, Dockery, Nagy, Costa, and Arkin. Those match-ups will be a for sure blowout, and Dallas will select the offensive line player. Dallas will do that cross roster analysis, too.

Can't wait for Wes Bunting to chat again with Vela.
  4. 28 Joker

28 Joker 28 Joker

7,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I will have to say this, too.

Tyron Smith VS Marc Colombo and Sam Young...

That was an absolute blowout.

Can you imagine Dallas without Smith in 2011 and without him now?

Building on your 21 year old, blue-chip cornerstone (Tyron Smith) should play a key role at 14, too. I think the value will be there, and Dallas sure has the need.
  5. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton it was the grave marked unknown right beside

6,475 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Joe, do you have a link to the full article or is this it? Thx
  6. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,117 Messages
    116 Likes Received
  7. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton it was the grave marked unknown right beside

6,475 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  8. VACowboy

VACowboy Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

4,056 Messages
    324 Likes Received
    Thanks, Joe. Vela is the best.
  9. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

15,084 Messages
    1,683 Likes Received
    Wonder if that is his order of preference?

This is the biggest question in the draft. Boom bust pick for sure.
  10. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

8,309 Messages
    2,687 Likes Received
    i agree

this is where the one on one interview and the workout at our facility will need to factor in

i will say this

with him motivation is the key

if he convinces the scouts that he is the goods, i would have no problem if they take him at 14

if the scouts are not sold, then we need to move on and think of NT a little later (mike martin/fangupo/chapman)
  11. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

15,084 Messages
    1,683 Likes Received
    Could not have said it better. The difference between Poe and the other two we like is Poe should have the ability to win two on one battles and collapse the pocket. Ratliff hasnt been able to do that in years (and I love the guy, just being honest).
  12. Noryb

Noryb Active Member

586 Messages
    32 Likes Received
    Outside linebackers -- Will the Cowboys tag Anthony Spencer, or not? Consider the competition. Are any of the Melvin Ingram, Courtney Upshaw, Nick Perry or Whitney Mercilus bunch clear upgrades over Spencer? I see a lot of maybes here.

I thought I read that the Cowboys were prepared to take Aldon Smith over Tyron Smith. If so, then they really liked Aldon or they really don't like Spencer too much because T. Smith vs Columbo isn't even close.

Edit:
    This is the main reason I think DeCasto fans will be disappointed come draft day. I don't believe the Cowboys will pass up a pash rusher or cb for a guard.
  13. VACowboy

VACowboy Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

4,056 Messages
    324 Likes Received
    Probably depends on the pass rusher and the guard.
  14. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

20,249 Messages
    1,679 Likes Received
    It is disingenuous for Vela to use free agents as part of the analysis at other positions but not at OG.

Are DeCastro and Glenn better than Carl Nicks?

How many other positions can Dallas actually sign a guy who is All-Pro?

And Janoris Jenkins could go Adam Jones on you or he could be by far the best CB in this class. He certainly displayed those skills at the combine. Asking if he'd be better than a CB (TNew) who ranked below 50 in coverage metrics is pretty comical.