1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

CN: Free Agency Shaking Up the Draft in Front of Dallas

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Mar 18, 2012.

1. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,104 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    Posted by Rafael at Sunday, March 18, 2012
    http://www.cowboysnation.com/2012/03/free-agency-shaking-up-draft-in-front.html
    Will he last until pick 14?
    The Peyton Manning sweepstakes could have an adverse effect on Dallas' draft plans, as could a very recent free agent signings.

Let's take stock of the short list kicked around before free agency began last Tuesday. It contained these names in some order:

David DeCastro
    Melvin Ingram
    Fletcher Cox
    Dre Kirkpatrick
  2. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,205 Messages
    123 Likes Received
    ........I'm with Hos and a cast of thousands....I WANT DECASTRO....but it sure looks like KC could snag him ahead of us....wonder what it would take to trade up to land him? I like Cox and we could stay put and get him, but DeCastro seems special to me. BUt I wouldn't want to trade TOO much for a guard either. IF cox and decastro are gone we could trade down for Glenn..not the worst thing in the world I suppose
  3. jbsg02

jbsg02 Active Member

1,719 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Would be awesome to see Smith and Decastro at LT and LG protecting Romo's backside.
  4. Fla Cowpoke

Fla Cowpoke Well-Known Member

2,700 Messages
    600 Likes Received
    I am sure they are thinking DeCastro next to Winston looks pretty good in Kansas City
  5. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,556 Messages
    2,429 Likes Received
    No trade ups please
  6. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,758 Messages
    704 Likes Received
    I think this is why we spent what we spent on the two FA guards. Perhaps our FO looked at the landscape of what was ahead of them, and decided there was a good chance DeCastro wouldn't fall to them. I know people are talking up Glenn, but I've heard mixed reviews, and he may not fit our system. There are several other guards in the draft, but there's no guarantee any of them besides DeCastro will be a day one starter.

To me, it's looking more and more like we'll go for a pass rusher in the first.
  7. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,104 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    Remember, you have to cover all scenarios in getting free agents before the draft and just in case a player you like is taken before u pick. :star:
  8. TheDallasDon

TheDallasDon AegonTheConqueror-Now bend the knee

2,520 Messages
    141 Likes Received
    He's a RG
  9. 2hawkes

2hawkes Benched

18 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    2011- 17 M Iupati
    2008 - 15 B Albert
    2007 - 29 B Grubbs
    2006 - 23 D Joesph
    2005 - 32 L Mankins
    2004 - 16 Shawn Andrews
    2002 - 30 Kedall Simmons
    2001 - 17 S Huctinson
  10. 2hawkes

2hawkes Benched

18 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Offensive tackle/guard – Each year, the Chiefs keep adding a solid prospect to offensive line. First it was Brandon Albert, then Jon Asamoah and this year Rodney Hudson. Each was a pick in the first three rounds of the draft. A dominant offense starts with a solid offensive line. My thought? Keep that beef coming. Since the Chiefs love to have versatile offensive lineman, targeting a position can be tricky. Hudson will be given every chance to win the center job. Asamoah is probably going to end up at a guard slot. Albert is the wild card. The Chiefs could bring in another left tackle and move Albert to left guard or right tackle. However, he could stay at left tackle and a right tackle or guard could be selected. So, the need is identified as a tackle/guard need
  11. jbsg02

jbsg02 Active Member

1,719 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If you're one of the best guards to come out in the last few years, then I think you can play both sides. If he is that restricted to one side, then he isn't worth the pick
  12. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

5,186 Messages
    345 Likes Received
    he could play either
  13. newlander

8,205 Messages
    123 Likes Received

.......which is why I think theyll snag him:bang2:
  14. fortdick

fortdick Well-Known Member

5,412 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    Would have been nice if they would have signed two guard capable of starting and playing well rather than just camp competition. I just don't see either Livings or Bernadeau as locks to make the team, much less fix our Oline.
  15. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,042 Messages
    2,272 Likes Received
    I think every interesting DL & OLB will have to be off the board for us to select Decastro and we may still trade down if he is there and take Nick Perry for Glenn.

I don't think Decastro is going to happen unless everything in the front 7 is entirely picked over.
  16. newlander

8,205 Messages
    123 Likes Received

.....with you 100% the more I ponder it: I was laying out the scenario as I wanted it to unfold in my above post..... I think alot of fans like to do that, however realistically speaking, after signing those guards last week, what you have posted above is absolutely accurate. (reality sucks though: I want a dominant Guard badly but, it doesn't look like that's the direction they're going in)
  17. ferrispata

ferrispata Active Member Zone Supporter

319 Messages
    44 Likes Received
    I am sure he could play both, but I had read that the RG is where you want your better guard. It is a tougher position to play. Not sure if it was Mayock I heard this from or somewhere else.