1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: CN: Jets Week, Part One: A Bad Week to Miss Martellus

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by CCBoy, Sep 6, 2011.

1. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

16,922 Messages
    1,230 Likes Received
    Jets Week, Part One: A Bad Week to Miss Martellus

Posted by Rafael

http://www.cowboysnation.com/2011/09/jets-week-part-one-bad-week-to-miss.html

Rex Ryan does not have a top-tier pass rusher. Calvin Pace led the '09 Jets with 8.0 sacks and Bryan Thomas the '10 Jets with 6.5 sacks. Shaun Ellis, the Jets' top-rushing lineman, now plays for the Patriots.

Ryan nonetheless has built an effective rush, doing it with muscle and scheme. The '10 Jets bagged 40 quarterbacks, ranking eight in the league. Ryan uses an extreme amount of secondary blitzes and zone blitzes. Eleven of those 40 sacks were notched by Jets' safeties and cornerbacks. Ryan uses zone blitzes. He uses overloads. He works through his list of options looking for a type of blitz that works. Then, he calls it until an opponent stops it.

Three years ago, Ryan's Ravens faced the Cowboys in Texas Stadium. Mid-way through the game, Ryan called a delayed inside linebacker blitz at the Cowboys right side, where his nose tackle and a defensive end ran a twist, with Ray Lewis rushing though the guard's gap behind them. The first time called, Lewis ran past a confused Leonard Davis and smacked Tony Romo. So Ryan called it again, and again, Lewis ran untouched through the B-gap...
  2. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

16,922 Messages
    1,230 Likes Received
    Punch line for Sunday:

Hudson Houck and Skip Peete will earn this money this week. They have to prepare inexperienced linemen and backs to recognize and react to Rex Ryan's and DC Mike Pettine's tricks. Because those tricks are coming.

(They're back...)
  3. FLcowboy

FLcowboy Hopeful this is the year Zone Supporter

3,676 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    They've had four weeks to gameplan for this, and they've been looking at brother Rob's defense for those four weeks. Red has rolled the dice with the young linemen, and is staking his chances on them.
  4. followthestar

followthestar Active Member

2,083 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    I have confidence Romo can buy some extra time - he's one of the best at it and his quick release is a bonus. I hope to see some early rollouts, bootlegs, overload screens, etc. and see if we can't get a big play or two early on. Let Felix get outside and ramble for 30 yards or Dez on a slant in stride, and see if the Jets don't tone it down a bit...
  5. AMERICAS_FAN

AMERICAS_FAN Active Member

7,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    A bad week to miss Martellus Bennet?

Sorry, but I'll take John Phillips over Snap Crackle and Pop any day of the week, thank you!
  6. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

9,145 Messages
    779 Likes Received
    The indication seems to be that Phillips will be counted on as the backup tight end so he won't see as much time in the backfield.

I disagree with that. Without Bennett, Phillips should get more playing time, including lots in the backfield, especially with our fullback having just joined the team. In fact, he'll possibly be on the field for every first- and second-down play, either lined up on the line or in the backfield.
  7. Rynie

Rynie Benched

4,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Haha. I won't lie, this makes me LOL.
    [youtube]5lP8fHN53t0[/youtube]