1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

CNNSI's Peter King's Fantasy Draft tip for 2005

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports Zone' started by Charles, Jul 21, 2005.

1. Charles

Charles Benched

3,409 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Dream World
    Having covered the NFL for 25 years, the author -- and fantasy player -- relishes the phenomenon of the imaginary game

[IMG]
    Chargers running back LaDainian Tomlinson ranks No. 1 at a critical position that's deep in talent.

Donald Miralle/Getty Images

By Peter King

They come at me from every direction, year-round. I've heard estimates that as many as 12 million Americans are afflicted with Fantasy Football-itis. (Dan Marino is in a league with Boomer Esiason.) I'm surprised. That number seems low.

Several members of the world champion Red Sox are in a league, and last season righthander Derek Lowe asked me for fantasy advice. As did 647 passersby in airports, 413 callers to talk shows, five neighbors and even one Starbucks barista. "What's your gut feeling on who will score more touchdowns this year -- Matt Schobel or Erron Kinney?" the latter inquired. "They're both in pretty tight-end-friendly offenses."

I still get nasty e-mails about one of my 2002 fantasy tips. After I'd spent a day at Redskins camp, watching practice and drinking the Steve Spurrier Kool-Aid, I was convinced that Danny Wuerffel would be a serviceable-to-good quarterback for Washington that season. Put off drafting a passer till the middle rounds, I advised on SI.com, take an extra running back early, then grab Wuerffel in a later round. Wuerffel, of course, lasted as the Redskins' starter for all of about 10 minutes. "Nice call on Wuerffel," Brett Favre said to me that fall. I didn't redeem myself until last season, when I made little-known Antonio Gates of the Chargers my preseason pick to become the most productive tight end of 2004. (He caught 81 passes, including 13 for touchdowns.)

Why the intense interest in the fantasy game? Three reasons: 1) It feeds the inner general manager in all of us; 2) with the NFL's 16-game season, every game's a big event -- and as with gambling, fantasy gives us a reason to care about every minute of action; and 3) Americans are competitive by nature. We like to build things, and we like to win. Then we like to brag about the winner we built. It sounds absurd, but a rabid Steelers fan who is also a fantasy player is more likely to ask me whether Ricky Williams is going to take carries away from Ronnie Brown in Miami than whether Ben Roethlisberger is the real deal in Pittsburgh.

My fantasy advice this year? Don't ask. But if you must, here are three tips: Draft Cowboys back Julius Jones very high -- among the top five backs; he'll rush for 1,500 yards. The Patriots' Ben Watson will be this year's Gates, a top three tight end. And finally, don't take Wuerffel.

COMPILED BY David Sabino, with Jeffri Chadiha, Gene Menez, Michael Silver and Paul Zimmerman

Stats in charts from 2004 season

Issue date: July 25, 2005
  2. Canadian BoyzFan

Canadian BoyzFan Active Member

3,315 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Kiss of Death.

Peter King is to Fantasy Football what a chainsaw is to ballet.
  3. kilz

kilz Member

238 Messages
    1 Likes Received

I don't know about that. Last year his top recommendation was to take Peyton Manning. He won the league for me last year.
  4. dargonking999

dargonking999 DKRandom

11,795 Messages
    172 Likes Received

Come on thats automatic
  5. Crown Royal

Crown Royal Insulin Beware

10,156 Messages
    534 Likes Received
    I only sort of half-played a half season once. Not big into FF. I don't need that to make the best game in the world interesting for me.
  6. dargonking999

dargonking999 DKRandom

11,795 Messages
    172 Likes Received
    i need it to make those days in between sundays intrresting and fast:D:D
  7. Canadian BoyzFan

3,315 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Here's a tip too.....draft Tomlinson he's good.
    No kidding Manning is good.

I am a die hard Fantasy Addict, I can assure you Peter King is no Fantasy Guru.
  8. TheHustler

TheHustler Active Member

5,390 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Tomlinson? Nah! I wouldn't take him till the first pick at the earliest!
  9. Qwickdraw

Qwickdraw Benched

5,451 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I don't need a woman to "climax" either...
    but it makes it more enjoyable.
  10. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,288 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    At least he mocks himself for Wuerffel.....because if he hadn't, I was going to.

I picked up Julius in a couple leagues and stashed him on the bench or IR while he recovered. He came in handy down the stretch.

Fortunately, I don't play FF with many Cowboys fans so they might just eye his numbers being under 1,000 yards and let him slide a bit (at least I hope).

I was looking at results of a draft last year where I picked up Witten in Round 14 of 15. Doubt I get that luxury this year.

My only FF advice: Don't let your team loyalties get in the way of your drafting. Hasn't been an issue for me lately with Dallas. :laugh2:
  11. DezBRomo9

DezBRomo9 Not enough blitzing.. Zone Supporter

1,612 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    I got Priest Holmes and JuJo in the 3rd and 4th rounds. I also have Peyton and Marvin with the 1st and 2nd round picks! Witten is my TE too. I'm so excited for this upcoming FF season.
  12. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

49,698 Messages
    3,916 Likes Received
    That is really going out on a limb. ;)
  13. Fla Cowpoke

Fla Cowpoke Well-Known Member

2,586 Messages
    506 Likes Received
    I agree about Jones....I think us Cowboy fans are going to have more interest in him early than some other folks are. Knowing all fantasy league draft are heavy on RB, he should be a second to third rounder, but based on King's recommendation you have to get him in the first.

Don't jump too early on him. He will be good, but I still doubt that he will be a top 5 fantasy RB.
  14. Canadian BoyzFan

3,315 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Julius will be taken between the 9-11th RB in my opinion. He is a solid second round pick, with potential to out perform his draft position.
  15. Mr. Fantasy

Mr. Fantasy Woohitz

268 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I would take this guy's fantasy advise with a grain of salt. Why draft him "very high", when you can get him in the top half of the 2nd round in most leagues? (unless you're playing in a CZFFL, of course :D ). Even though he doesn't specify, drafting very high to me means top 5. While he definitely has the potential to be in that category, I wouldn't place him there quite yet
  16. dargonking999

dargonking999 DKRandom

11,795 Messages
    172 Likes Received

Unless your playing with cowboy fans, then you better take him as soon as possible:D:D