1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Coaching isn't a problem?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Galian Beast, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Galian Beast

Galian Beast Well-Known Member

9,226 Messages
    1,437 Likes Received
    You're purposefully ignoring the point.

2011?

Tyron Smith and DeMarco Murray

who else even played in 2011?

Nagy might have played a bit... certainly not a successful year for our rookies.
  2. Gameover

Gameover Well-Known Member

3,214 Messages
    475 Likes Received
    quarterbacking is the problem...
  3. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

44,090 Messages
    1,281 Likes Received
    Yes, two out of the top 3 picks contributed significantly. The other didn't play. Why was that? Because of the coaching staff? No, because of his injury history.

How far back in our draft history do you have to go for your point to be valid?

It's not hard to criticize this coaching staff. Regardless, this isn't a valid critique.
  4. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

6,150 Messages
    1,928 Likes Received
    And let's be honest for a 2nd here -- Tyron Smith was, at best, an average LT in the NFL this year. Nothing more.

Demarco Murray 661 yards rushing and 4.1 ypc is the very definition of mediocre. Yes, his OL wasn't great, however, he is having trouble staying on the field.

If those two players are the sterling examples of how Dallas has turned around their draft fortunes, it explains the total acceptance of mediocrity that has crept into the fanbase as well as the front-office.
  5. Gameover

Gameover Well-Known Member

3,214 Messages
    475 Likes Received
    If I could trade (Tony) Romo, I would" - NFL analyst and depressed Dallas Cowboys fan @TheMarkHenry
  6. Erik_H

Erik_H Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun. Zone Supporter

2,453 Messages
    81 Likes Received
    Take a look at the rest of the league and find a team that had a draft that meets your criteria. They may exist.

Seems you are asking for day one above average starters out of the first 2 rounds and some impactful contribution from rounds 3-4 in the first year? As a 3rd rounder Crawford met that criteria and Claiborne certainly did.

The concept of most or all draft picks grabbing starting or significant roles IN YEAR ONE seems flawed to me.

In2010 an 2011 we went with a philosophy in the 2nd round to grab a guy with huge upside that would have to red shirt for a year. In exchange for basically losing a year, we got two 1st round talents in Lee and Carter. According to your argument, these were bad picks, right?
  7. Rynie

Rynie Benched

4,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I guess putting on ice-cream socials is more important than actually playing and contributing. Good thing I'm not a GM, Huh?
  8. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,746 Messages
    5,904 Likes Received
    Your argument just does not make sense. You could say that the team should have drafted better players (i.e. Arkin in the 4th), but to say that the coaches are at fault is odd.

1 Tyron Smith - 16 game starter
    2 Bruce Carter - Injured
    3 DeMarco Murray - Significant contributor.
    4 David Arkin - Not strong enough.
    5 Josh Thomas - They tried to get him through waivers but failed.
    6 Dwayne Harris - 6th round pick that contributed significantly in 2012.
    7 Shaun Chapas - Is this really the coaches fault?
    7 Bill Nagy - Started until he got injured. Cutting him instead of waiting and putting him on IR was dumb. This is either a Front Office or Head Coach decision. The OL coach wanted to keep him.

If I were going to blame any coaches for anything player related, it would be Garrett for not playing Parnell more earlier in the 2012 season. It was reported that Callahan had to convince him to have Parnell share snaps with Free later in the season.

If the coaches are at fault in player development, you need to find better examples.
  9. Galian Beast

9,226 Messages
    1,437 Likes Received
    Bruce Carter wasn't injured, and I'm waiting on your analysis of past draft classes as well. And again I'm asking for their contribution as rookies, not just overall on the team. How many games did nagy start? Where is he now? Why was he cut rather than retained?

This all is central to my point.
  10. jjktkk

jjktkk Active Member

1,672 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    Probably so. Heck, it wouldn't even hurt you to bone up on being a knowledgeable Cowboys fan either, if you choose to do so.
  11. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,544 Messages
    136 Likes Received
    Yes, Carter was injured and placed on the PUP list before TC started and stayed there until week 6 or so of the regular season.
  12. T-RO

T-RO Well-Known Member

4,405 Messages
    319 Likes Received
    This. And when we stop drafting scrubs. GB, I don't see your point AT ALL.

Have you named one player that the *coaches* really held back...who later turned out to be some stud. It there anyone meaningful that you name?

Wilber? I doubt he's much of a player. He sure didn't flash much in ST, where he did have opportunities.
  13. Galian Beast

9,226 Messages
    1,437 Likes Received
    I realize, my point is he didn't miss the entire season. I should have been clear. Yet why wasn't Carter able to produce when he was cleared? Because he had to adapt to a new system, and was lost in the sauce.
  14. T-RO

T-RO Well-Known Member

4,405 Messages
    319 Likes Received
    GB...don't you get it?

When a rookie comes in and can't get the reps in during camp...you can forget about it. He's not going to be able to have much of a role.

The reason we were able to draft Carter when we did was that it was widely known his rookie season would be of the "red-shirt" variety.

As everyone is trying to tell you: not a coaching issue. It's a GM issue.
  15. Galian Beast

9,226 Messages
    1,437 Likes Received

My point was that an injured player can still com along if it's a scheme they are familiar with. If they have to learn a new position, they are even further behind the curve.

Running the 3-4 did this, running Ryan's complex version of it certainly didn't make things easy.

Teams across the league plug guys in, and it's because coaches adapt to injury situations. They don't just try to do the same thing with different guys.
  16. Rynie

Rynie Benched

4,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Hey look guys! I have a new fan! Umad Bro?
  17. ShiningStar

ShiningStar Well-Known Member

6,392 Messages
    579 Likes Received

how many teams have a very good draft class? forget what you read and think about how the teams have used them.

it has been a coaching problem and right now I think we got rid of one coach who was not coaching well, Joe D. Can we defend the play of the ST? i really dont think there is a defense.

Were all the coaches who were let go needed to go? Probably not, but so far i like the new coaches we brought in.

OUr drafts have been better, and i dont expect a home run with ever pick. A few we all know which year is better left unsaid.

Thread, not really needed, coaching has been a problem. ALl of hte problems, no, a lot that oculd have had different outcomes, yes, defense, dont bother arguing, pro Ryan or Anti Ryan, hes gone now, wont matter.
  18. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

12,382 Messages
    1,405 Likes Received
    Most productive rookie classes are on terrible teams. Then when the team gets less terrible, those rookies don't do anything in the league because they were not all that great to begin with, just better than the veterans on a terrible team.

That's why people tend to use the 3-year rule. Otherwise you would be criticizing drafting somebody like Sean Lee or Troy Polamalu, who weren't productive their rookie years.

YR
  19. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,043 Messages
    2,273 Likes Received
    We are snake bit with Rookies and them getting injured.

If Dallas drafts you then you will get hurt. It's just how it is.
  20. Erik_H

Erik_H Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun. Zone Supporter

2,453 Messages
    81 Likes Received
    Your point is wrong. What other rookie pick from rnds 2-7 did not practice once with the team until half way through the season, then ended up having an impact beyond special teams?

This concept of a whole draft class full of starters and high impact contributors in year one is a joke. The NFL does not work that way.