Come draft time, Cowboys turn to pod to settle disputes

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Risen Star, Apr 20, 2017.

1. lkelly

lkelly Well-Known Member

2,803 Messages
    1,553 Likes Received
    I guess it's better than having Jerry sit in a room with Larry Lacewell and a fully stocked bar.

Trouty, Outlaw Heroes, DFWJC and 3 others like this.
  2. mrtxstar

mrtxstar Benched

8,214 Messages
    5,209 Likes Received
    Isn't a "pod" what they call a family of whales? This doesn't instill the idea that the tiebreaker is a real brain-trust.

Trouty likes this.
  3. dallasfan4lizife

dallasfan4lizife Well-Known Member

3,842 Messages
    1,751 Likes Received
    Preferably hasn't even played football before. I'm talking super green.

Maybe draft an athletic power forward from some SEC school.

Trouty likes this.
  4. fredp22

fredp22 Well-Known Member

626 Messages
    698 Likes Received
    isnt it ironic that the only time we didnt do that for a TE was with Witten. We rolled the dice and were lucky he was there in the 3rd.

Trouty and haleyrules like this.
  5. pete026

pete026 Member

69 Messages
    65 Likes Received
    It is generally considered a sound business practice. If you are a direct supervisor of a certain position in a company, you should be involved in the hiring process. You are ultimately going to be relying on that individual to help you succeed. It sucks to have no say in your people but be held responsible if they stink. This was one of the failures of Jerry's original business model after Jimmy left.

GhostOfPelleur likes this.
  6. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

43,065 Messages
    31,569 Likes Received
    That depends on the quality of the supervisor. Dooley never has impressed me, either at Tennessee or in Dallas honestly.

The NFL is a different business than the real world.

Assistant coaches can come and go depending on the regime of the head coach. If you depend on his subordinates for decisions that will extend three or four years in the future, that is risky because chances are, they won't be around if it is a developmental prospect.

7. jday

jday Well-Known Member

6,584 Messages
    6,681 Likes Received
    Excellent read. Though, it does leave you wondering what the hell they were doing before. Obviously, you want your scouts to scout and your coaches to coach, but schematic fit is huge. So wouldn't it be kinda obvious that you would want them in a room together before every draft hashing out what to scout for? Seems like this is something that they should have been doing all along...

dallasfan4lizife, Trouty and pete026 like this.
  8. Alexander

43,065 Messages
    31,569 Likes Received
    I thought the big deal with McClay was that he was the filter. He talks to the coaches, gets the info, tells the scouts what to go look for.

Now this comes out and we still have coaches on a soap box and what sounds like a bad idea.

I am a firm believer that scouts know these players more intimately than anyone, they spend an entire year with them. Much more than a coach who watches tape for a few weeks or has one of their nepotistic coaching buddies put in a good word for them.

I understand coaches want players to fit what they want. But if they feel that strongly about a player they have not spent a lot of time with, there are other factors involved.

jday likes this.
  9. pete026

pete026 Member

69 Messages
    65 Likes Received
    First, the article was using Dooley as an example of the process, not speaking about his quality as a receiver coach.

Second, another sound business practice is to make good selections on position coaches and do things to make them want to stay like involving them.

Third, Today's NFL is very similar to any large, prominent business. And is generally successful if based on sound business practices. See the Pats model.

10. Alexander

43,065 Messages
    31,569 Likes Received
    I hardly think the Patriot business model means involving the WR coach in a committee when there is a dispute about a draft prospect.

cowboyblue22 and Trouty like this.
  11. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

39,516 Messages
    48,827 Likes Received
    They also aren't paid talent evaluators. They're not doing the work on these players year round during their entire college career.

In 2003 there was a reported shift away from coaching input and toward the scouts and while they weren't world beaters the results showed it was a good decision. There was improvement from the monstrosity of the Campo years.

Trouty likes this.
  12. Vinnie2u

Vinnie2u Well-Known Member

4,497 Messages
    3,994 Likes Received
    I thought the title read Cowboys turn to pot to settle disputes..420

Trouty, CowboyFan74 and Risen Star like this.
  13. haleyrules

haleyrules Well-Known Member

10,885 Messages
    28,851 Likes Received
    lol. It seems teams experts are far more accurate the higher a club drafts. Its a crap shoot after the first half of the 1st round.

Trouty and RGV_Clos like this.
  14. CowboyFan74

CowboyFan74 Cowboys Analyst

16,714 Messages
    3,051 Likes Received

It's the repetitive programming method, very effective with brain dead shills and the easily influenced follower types..

That will be $29.95

llutherr likes this.
  15. windward

windward NFL Historian

16,592 Messages
    2,068 Likes Received
    Have Broaddus, Helman and Brugler be the tiebreakers?

Trouty and LittleD like this.
  16. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member

36,545 Messages
    19,465 Likes Received
    [​IMG]

:lmao:Meeting adjourned

CowboyFan74, Trouty, jday and 2 others like this.
  17. GhostOfPelleur

GhostOfPelleur Well-Known Member

1,407 Messages
    2,007 Likes Received
    If you dont think Dooley knows enough to have a say in who to draft at WR then he shouldn't be the WR coach.

Sinister likes this.
  18. texbumthelife

texbumthelife Well-Known Member

9,548 Messages
    5,510 Likes Received
    Because in the example they're talking about a WR and he is WR coach. If they were talking about LBs they would have referenced the LB coach. It's not that Dooley is always involved.

pete026 likes this.
  19. Alexander

43,065 Messages
    31,569 Likes Received
    That was not my assumption. I would have just as much of a problem as having Gary Brown involved in a five way debate.

20. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

17,285 Messages
    15,328 Likes Received
    Well... something is working well.

Just keep doing what they're doing and we will be fine.

Trouty and Idgit like this.