1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Coming around to the idea of keeping the coaching staff as is

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Wolf2k5, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Boys122

Boys122 Well-Known Member

1,378 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    insert cool :lol smiley here.
  2. Wheeltax

Wheeltax Well-Known Member

1,084 Messages
    605 Likes Received
    I'm as ready to see change as anyone, but I think the problem comes down to the talent more than it does the coaches. I simply do not buy that Kiffin suddenly forgot how to scheme a defense or coach players. The offense has been solid. If it came down to rotating out our core players and replacing them or rotating out the coaches and replacing them, I take the player change. Bottom line is that in order to be successful in any way other than a lightning-in-a-bottle horseshoe-in-rear-end kind of way, the Cowboys need a different guy picking talent and managing their contracts, IMHO.
  3. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    I will never understand why in the world we couldn't play a dime defense?
  4. MikeT22

MikeT22 Active Member

412 Messages
    224 Likes Received
    8-8, 8-8 and 8-8 is far from a success.
  5. rpntex

rpntex Active Member

269 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    No, I thought Ryan's defense looked confused and disorganized well before he was let go. I wasn't alone either. Anyone who needed the media to point out---after the season---the number of times Dallas had too few or too many players on the field. Also, the only game this year where the defense looked disorganized was Detroit, and even then it was on the last drive (specifically, Jakarta Hamilton being lined up too far inside on the big pass to Durham). The 2013 defense wasn't disorganized---they just couldn't execute.
  6. rpntex

rpntex Active Member

269 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    Not unusual for a coach to learn from his mistakes. Nobody's ever said he wasn't smart.
  7. bkight13

bkight13 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,410 Messages
    703 Likes Received
    You called him a proven failure. I'd say 29-27 is pretty decent for a first time Head Coach. I like the direction and make-up of the team. Too many long time Cowboys remain under the delusion that we are owed more because of successes in the past. I'd say the late 90's and early 00's were a failure.
  8. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    This wasn't the first year that Kiffin has had problems. His decline has been going on for years. He can still coach what he knows, but the problem is opposing OCs has learned how to beat his scheme and the way in which he runs it. It was even a failure in college.
  9. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    Kiffin was brought in due to his simple system. This tells me that the players in Dallas was dumb and couldn't run Rob's scheme.
    PA Cowboy Fan likes this.
  10. birdwells1

birdwells1 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,377 Messages
    499 Likes Received
    Surely in his first year in NO, he was disorganized to right? Or could it be with the "injury excuse" everyone's using this year, Ryan had new inexperienced players playing significant time.
  11. noshame

noshame Who wouldn't follow me? Zone Supporter

3,599 Messages
    854 Likes Received
    As Yoda said, Jason, you must finish the training.

As injury prone as we seem to be, the more simple the scheme, the better.
  12. REDVOLUTION

REDVOLUTION Return to Dominance

24,706 Messages
    991 Likes Received

I was a big Garrett HC fan too. No more. He has shown little to no improvement.
    He looks arrogant and confident most of the time(and I don't mind it, actually like it) but he CANNOT "walk the walk".

As far as keeping current staff. No.

Here's why? When your defensive coordinator says, "I don't what to do" or "I don't know what else to try" regarding defense(I am paraphrasing I think).

That ship has too many holes and WILL sink! ("I assure you sir, she is full of crap, she will sink" --titanic)
  13. theranchsucks

theranchsucks Well-Known Member

1,029 Messages
    357 Likes Received
    And it will all be too late, and the window will have closed on the Romo, Witten, Ware era.......way to go JJ
  14. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

18,064 Messages
    1,742 Likes Received
    Why is it that nobody learns while they're here?
  15. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,972 Messages
    9,070 Likes Received
    Jerry hears you and will give himself a stern talking to.
    Boys122 likes this.
  16. stasheroo

18,064 Messages
    1,742 Likes Received
    Exactly right.

The game continues to evolve.

The Tampa 2 is now the 'Basic Math' of NFL defense.
  17. stasheroo

18,064 Messages
    1,742 Likes Received
    No, Ryan doesn't get the injury excuse.

Garrett's called 'dibs' on that!
  18. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,972 Messages
    9,070 Likes Received
    I've seen this rallying cry from the Rowdys a lot lately.

What any fan of any team is owed is his team making every effort to win. The Cowboys don't do that. Priority #1 is Jerry's ego. If we can win while appeasing that, bonus. We are set up to fail and left to hope we can overcome. That is an injustice to your fan base.

And the notion that Cowboys fans should lower their acceptance bar and be happy we're not the worst. well you might as well lay the Dallas Cowboys to rest at that point. They would be dead.
    visionary likes this.
  19. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,652 Messages
    2,188 Likes Received

jerry knows this stat (insert "jerry listens to fans" here)
    that is why he is trying to get a couple of sub .500 teams into the playoffs so we can have a punchers chance
  20. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,652 Messages
    2,188 Likes Received

that post deserved a like

however, i think priority number 1 is money and number 2 is ego
    case in point, jerry was willing to put his ego aside and bring in BP to get his cash cow (the stadium) built
    Doc50 likes this.