1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Common myths this site seems to believe

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by StanleySpadowski, Dec 20, 2005.

1. Sarge

Sarge Red, White and Brew... Staff Member

20,767 Messages
    1,607 Likes Received
    This post is more accurate than the original IMO.
  2. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

24,511 Messages
    4,746 Likes Received
    Name the 22 better centers.

If you want to make a bold statement like this, back it up.
  3. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,639 Messages
    2,427 Likes Received

Good challenge.
  4. Hiero

Hiero New Member

3,075 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Al Johnson doesnt suck, he just seems to be doing something that is tipping off the Dlines to the snap count, and has nagging knee injuries. Plus he doesn't do well against the bigger linemen, he just isnt what I thought he would be when he came out which was a physical mean linemen, but all hes been is an injury prone barely average guy who is already maxed out.

I didn't think Henry gave up many big plays, besides the one to Lloyd where he got burned. Other than that it seems to usually fall on Keith Davis the worst starter on defense.Henry would be a pro bowler if not for the injuries.

Shanle is a cheap imitation of Dat. He has filled in somewhat decently but he is nowhere near starter material at this point. We need to draft an inside linebacker and push Shanle to the bench where he belongs.

Ware is a beast, he's looked really strong in the running game, and has held his own in the pass rushing. It seems like he is always just a bit short, but in the end his hurries have led to at least 2-3 interceptions that I can recall, one that I think Henry got. I think next year Ware will have a much bigger impact. When you saw him in the preseason he showed the flashes of big play potential especially the Seattle game. Running down Seneca Wallace and abusing him all day is pretty good considering how fast Wallace is.
    Ware needs to develop some more moves instead of just getting stuck on the LT, I think he is too worried about the run, because Parcells insists on it, but they need to use him like they used Lawrence Taylor where he can blitz almost every play, without having to read and react first to the run. Ware will be a year wiser next year and I think Parcells is gonna unleash the beast.

Roy isnt that bad, but I think Keith Davis has been one of the biggest letdowns of the season. He's been used and abused all year, from the Santana Moss touchdowns to getting blown up by Ron Dayne, to biting on the playaction every time and always looking to make a big play up on the line of scrimmage. He stinks and Parcells wont allow him to start next year Im sure.

If we had a real cover free safety who was tall and could play centerfielder it would be such a big relief to the defense. It would hopefully allow the defense to blitz more often, without the fear of getting burned for an 80 yard play. It would allow Roy to act as the 8th linebacker a LOT more. This is going to be one of our top priorities this offseason, I think Pile will stay and they bring in a rookie to compete and Beriault backs up Roy Williams.

5. goshan

goshan Active Member Zone Supporter

1,873 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    You name 9 that are worse.
    If you want to defend the starting center on one of the worst O-lines in the NFL who is often rotated out of games when opposing teams have a large NG, I suspect the onus is on you!
  6. Sarge

20,767 Messages
    1,607 Likes Received
    Better challenge.

;)
  7. Hiero

Hiero New Member

3,075 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    AL J is probably somewhere around the middle of the league i'd have to say, plus I'm not really sure what his knee situation is but it doesnt seem to be getting much better.

Center is a LOT more important on our team than a lot of other teams because we have an immobile QB who doesnt do well with pressure up the middle. Center is a huge need for us, If we want Bledsoe to play like a Pro Bowler, we are going to need to give him a much better OLine. If we want to see JJ and Barber both having 1000 yard seasons we need to have a one of the top 5 Olines in the league. You can't win in the playoffs if your Oline stinks, and all of the top teams all have good lines. They dont necessarily have to be drafted high, but they do have to be good.
  8. Sarge

20,767 Messages
    1,607 Likes Received
    No doubt.
  9. Alexander

24,511 Messages
    4,746 Likes Received
    Why?

I never made the foolish statement. You did.

Obviously you did not know what you were talking about or were exagerrating in some vain effort to prove a point that you never had to begin with.

Which is it?

No, it isn't. The head coach himself has stated over and over that the player is doing fine, and that he rotates centers because that is something he prefers to do.

The only thing Johnson is guilty of is not being a great fit for the type of blocking scheme we want to run right now. He is not physical and has trouble holding the point. It is not his bad play, but his style. He still blocks very well on the move and knows how to make the line calls.

And since you challenged, yet could not even have the gumption to name yours, here are the nine "worse":

Mike Pucillo - Browns
    Melvin Fowler - Vikings
    Mike Flynn - Ravens
    Todd McClure - Falcons
    Justin Hartwig - Titans
    Steve McKinney - Texans
    Rex Hadnot - Dolphins
    Jamall Jackson - Eagles
    Dominic Raiola - Lions

I could name several more, which would put Johnson smack dab in the middle.

I will await your 22 centers better than Al Johnson list.

Let me know if you need help.
  10. goshan

1,873 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    Why?

I never made the foolish statement. You did.

Obviously you did not know what you were talking about or were exagerrating in some vain effort to prove a point that you never had to begin with.

Which is it?

Johnson is one of the bottom 10 starters in the NFL. He doesn't even play entire games when healthy because he can't handle big, strong NGs. He is barely a starter here and we have a terrible o-line with poor depth.
    Hello. Are you there?

No, it isn't. The head coach himself has stated over and over that the player is doing fine, and that he rotates centers because that is something he prefers to do.

The only thing Johnson is guilty of is not being a great fit for the type of blocking scheme we want to run right now. He is not physical and has trouble holding the point. It is not his bad play, but his style. He still blocks very well on the move and knows how to make the line calls.

No. The coach says he rotates centers because Johnson doesn't do well against big, strong NGs...not because it is what he prefers to do. In terms of him doing 'fine', this isn't a ringing endorsement from parcells and we know it. He said Peerless Price was doing fine about 4 days before he was released.

Of your nine, I have indicated the ones that aren't worse or ineligible because they were forced into action due to injury.
    *Mike Pucillo - Browns (he is a guard and not f/t starter)
    Melvin Fowler - Vikings (ok)
    Mike Flynn - Ravens (rate him even but ok)
    *Todd McClure - Falcons (better than johnson)
    Justin Hartwig - Titans (even but ok)
    Steve McKinney - Texans (ok)
    *Rex Hadnot - Dolphins (bigger and stronger, take him over Johnson)
    *Jamall Jackson - Eagles (forced into action due to injury. can't give you that one)
    Dominic Raiola - Lions (ok although a similar player)
  11. Alexander

24,511 Messages
    4,746 Likes Received
    Yes, I am.

Are you or do you enjoy making baseless statements and not have the intellect to back it up?

See above.

And if you need help naming the 22 better, once again I am here for you.
  12. Teague31

Teague31 Defender of the Star

6,268 Messages
    468 Likes Received
    If getting shoved into the backfield on nearly every play doesn't qualify as sucking I don't know what does.
  13. StanleySpadowski

StanleySpadowski Active Member

4,815 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I have a great many on ignore, so I didn't see this petty little challenge but since I was the one to claim that Johnson's in the middle "average" third, I'll say that this week Johnson would start for Green Bay, Houston, San Fransisco, Minnesota, Buffalo, Philadelphia, Arizona, Detroit, Cleveland, Baltimore, NY Jets, and those are just off the top of my head.
  14. jimmy40

jimmy40 Well-Known Member

15,086 Messages
    273 Likes Received
    Sunday against Washington he bit on the run and then stood in no mans land at the goal line while the tightend was wide open in the corner of the endzone.
  15. StanleySpadowski

4,815 Messages
    0 Likes Received

He was in "no man's land' because someone else blew their assignment. Williams drops back to the TE and the QB walks into the end zone. He was placed in a no-win situation by someone else's mistake (Ware probably had contain on that play but I haven't rewatched it so I'm just guessing).
  16. goshan

1,873 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    i agree i don't think that play was williams' fault.
  17. jimmy40

15,086 Messages
    273 Likes Received
    If Ware had outside contain he would have had to run over Roy to get there. Roy was outside , he bit, he knew he f'd up, and he got burned.
  18. jimmy40

15,086 Messages
    273 Likes Received
    It's always someone else's fault when it comes to Roy. How many times did he dive at people's feet and whiff against Kansas City? I like Roy but he does not play up to the hype he gets.
  19. jimmy40

15,086 Messages
    273 Likes Received
    There are times when they fumble the snap that he doesn't get shoved into the backfield, and when he holds.
  20. StanleySpadowski

4,815 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    And I took someone off "ignore" for this drivel. Back on the list.