1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Consistency in coaching: Daryl Johnston on the Dan Patrick Show

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Idgit, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

29,558 Messages
    5,290 Likes Received
    [youtube]LihqbcoqlZ8[/youtube]

Listen to what DJ has to say here, starting at around the 8 minute mark. Apart from being a vote of confidence in our current staff (and by that, I mostly mean the position coaches, but I think his argument probably applies to who the play caller is), it sounds like he's of the opinion that even our OL personnel is closer than we might think. (That's reading between the lines, a bit, but not all *that* much).

I also happen to agree with him about Andy Reid in KC. Good stuff, to go along with the Michael Irvin interview if you haven't checked in on that thread yet already.
  2. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

5,486 Messages
    675 Likes Received
    Thanks Moose for saying it:

"Coaches coach, player play"
  3. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,556 Messages
    1,548 Likes Received
    i agree with what he says. Except that it wasnt just the OL. Its clear that JG tried to outsmart opposing coaches but ended up outsmarting his offense into alot of 3 and outs.
  4. JerryFan

JerryFan Active Member

1,243 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    My biggest deal with Garrett was he didn't know his players. He'd come out trying to throw a dagger at people from the get go. Free would always just let people walk around him to start the game. So why continue doing it game after game and putting your team behind the 8 ball to begin with. That was my biggest problem.
  5. Boyz981

Boyz981 Active Member

180 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Except for the fact that the O was toward the top in least 3 and outs!

3 and outs!
  6. Sarge

Sarge Red, White and Brew... Staff Member

20,773 Messages
    1,611 Likes Received
    That's one ugly finger.
  7. noshame

noshame Who wouldn't follow me? Zone Supporter

3,448 Messages
    770 Likes Received
    :bow: I read the comments before watching the video and I thought what is he talking about finger?

Then i watched, I'm still clutching my hand.
  8. Sarge

Sarge Red, White and Brew... Staff Member

20,773 Messages
    1,611 Likes Received
    I get this a lot.

;)
  9. CowboysPhan

CowboysPhan Obsequious Cowboys Toadie

447 Messages
    34 Likes Received
    Wow, that's a fascinating stat. One would expect the teams with the lowest 3 and out percentage to be among the league's best teams, and vice-versa, but when you look at that list, there seems to be very little correlation. Dallas was number three, while Baltimore and Houston, for example, were terrible about getting 3 and outs, but look where they ended up.
    Our problem on offense was not that we had a lot of 3 and outs, it was that we had a HUGE number of long drives where we would stall and come away with 3 or zero points.
  10. DanteEXT

DanteEXT Well-Known Member

1,773 Messages
    159 Likes Received
    I do not have that stat in front of me, but in thinking back on the season it feels like the team had to try and drive the length of the field more often than not. Again, that may be revisionist without credible data to back it up.
  11. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,821 Messages
    2,671 Likes Received
    Moose couldn't be biased towards one of his BFFs, could he? Nah.

Really, I wonder if it was a calculated move by Jerry to hire a guy who so many old Cowboys in the media will defend to no end, so that even two years of 8-8 become admirable.

Pretty smart if so.
  12. WV Cowboy

WV Cowboy Waitin' on the 6th

10,688 Messages
    1,056 Likes Received
    I agree, it is about the players Moose. Coaches coach and players play.

This sort of points to him saying that we need better players on the Oline, not better coaches.

But then he turns around and says Andy Reid is going to go into KC and turn that thing around quickly.

So why is changing coaches in KC a good idea, but changing coaches in Dallas is not?
  13. Chocolate Lab

33,821 Messages
    2,671 Likes Received
    Exactly.

And coaches coach and players play... What does that mean to some people? That coaching doesn't matter? Of course it does. The players you have may determine your team's overall potential, but that doesn't mean some coaches aren't better than others at maximizing that potential. The 2003 team didn't have the players to win the Super Bowl, but Parcells got them to the playoffs where almost no one else could have.
  14. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

5,486 Messages
    675 Likes Received

Anything to support that agenda...lol.

You say some of the darnest things.
  15. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

5,328 Messages
    1,645 Likes Received
    You guys give Jerry way way too much credit. :bang2:
  16. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,351 Messages
    1,989 Likes Received
    agree 100%

we need better players but garrett is a very significant part of the problem
  17. Chocolate Lab

33,821 Messages
    2,671 Likes Received
    I guess you're right, Jerry isn't that calculating.

The part about the value of having allies in the media like Babe, Moose, Troy, and Nate is very true, though.
  18. rickjameschinaclub

rickjameschinaclub Benched

1,222 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Funny how nobody was talking about consistency in coaching when Wade was here...
  19. rickjameschinaclub

rickjameschinaclub Benched

1,222 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    To outsmart somebody, you have to be smarter than them. Going to Princeton doesn't mean your smarter than your opponent.
  20. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,432 Messages
    2,129 Likes Received
    I'm not sure I would consider an OL swap the biggest move that Baltimore made.

They fired their OC which kind of flies in the face of his point about consistency.

Consistency is great when things are working. When they aren't it's not called "consistency". I was with the idea of consistency when Wade was around and Dallas had just made the playoffs. However, 2010 is a perfect example where consistency doesn't count for squat because being consistently bad is not something to strive for.

The idea of consistency in terms of Garrett is interesting given the moves that have been made.

First and foremost if we attribute the moves he has made to only his decision making, Garrett doesn't have the slightest cluse as to what consistency is. He'll now have switched WR and DCs twice by the beginning of his 3rd full season as a coach. And we can throw in Skip Peete as well because he was recently just offered a new contract, wasn't he? How is that consistent? One year the guy gets the okay from the HC and the next he's out the door?

The reality is, we know better than that to just assume that Garrett is the guy who's calling all of those shots.

No matter what, Dallas will not get consistency because Jason is going to make some moves he wants to make and Jerry will get his in there as well.