1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Consistency in coaching: Daryl Johnston on the Dan Patrick Show

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Idgit, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,586 Messages
    2,243 Likes Received
    Oh is that right? Tells us about it.
  2. Shiloht88

Shiloht88 Benched

64 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    DJ? Never heard him referred to that way, Moose yes, but maybe I've been living under a rock. Cool video though.
  3. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

32,017 Messages
    7,761 Likes Received
    A couple other quotes from DJ from the interview today at dc.com:

As to Hoofbite's coaching consistency comment, while I think it's a good and fair point, there are a lot of mitigating factors. To begin with, consistency at HC and coordinator positions is one thing. Juggling position coaches is another, entirely. I think Skip Peete probably was a casualty of Callahan's zone blocking scheme, which is a reasonable move to make.

On changing the DC, that's a move to me that smacks of Jerry's influence. I say that based purely on my own supposition, but I don't think Jerry liked Rob, and I think that spending the money on the secondary and not seeing it be more opportunistic really hurt Ryan. I think JG really genuinely him and am guessing he was reluctant to see him go. And I think it was an unpopular move among the players pretty much universally. In fairness to Garrett, no matter how you look at it, this is only one DC switch after two seasons; it's not fair to criticize him for Pasqualoni's interim appearance mid-season.

As far as Robinson goes, I guess we'll wait to hear the full story on that one. I don't think we want to lose him, and I think he's the one who wants to take a lesser role with the club. And it might even be health-related. The fact that we're keeping him on in a consultative capacity suggests this is not a regular position coaching shuffle.