1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Cool pic + Marcus Spears questions who is there *merged*

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by The Dallas1575, Apr 8, 2014.

1. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,698 Messages
    2,049 Likes Received
    ahhh, thanks
  2. Dodger12

Dodger12 Well-Known Member

2,126 Messages
    708 Likes Received
    Be very careful where you're treading here...once you go down this dark path, there's no turning back. Hater.....
  3. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

29,838 Messages
    5,555 Likes Received
    I know, rite?

Hey...four years of missing the playoffs...it's not like there isn't reason to be frustrated.
    Dodger12 likes this.
  4. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

9,396 Messages
    4,621 Likes Received
    Players talk around the league. Especially with Shanle b/c he kept a home in Dallas even after he left, so it's not surprising at all to hear his comments. Every season, every offseason we hear players/ex-players questioning the locker room dynamic and leadership of this franchise. I'm sorry but you lose the right to argue that all of this is made up nonsense when the team proves its lack of intangibles by losing 3 straight playoff elimination games. There is some truth to the matter. IMO this team has a chemistry problem. This is not a close knit team like San Fran, N.O., Seattle, etc. They are a bunch of individuals with a robot head coach who provides very little leadership. Images of "chosen" players always hanging out with the owner and coach in the offseason does not help the matter at all. I don't care how bad these players were, they were in the locker room. Spears was a leader in the locker room. He was the main spokesman to the media every week. He was friends with a lot of people on the team and still remains friends with players. Trust me, what he said on twitter a few days ago has been said before amongst the players. He didn't just come up with this opinion on the spot.
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
    Dodger12 and WV Cowboy like this.
  5. Dodger12

2,126 Messages
    708 Likes Received
    I agree. And it's also the off-season so we'll debate this stuff to death. At the end of the day (at least to me anyway), this will be a very telling season and most of it again will hang on Romo. I'm not convinced the guy can come back. If he dinks and dunks his way through the season and no longer has the arm to go down field, we're in trouble.
    Idgit likes this.
  6. Dodger12

2,126 Messages
    708 Likes Received
    San Fran, NO, Seattle, etc. have a strong head coach. He's supposed to be the guy that keeps that chemistry in the locker room or designate that to his locker room leaders. I don't care if Jones wants to be the face of the franchise but the HC must be the undisputed leader on the field to both his players and the coaching staff. That will never happen here and too bad for Garrett. He's acquiesced to Jerry because he owes Jerry, and that's how Jerry wants it.
  7. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    Good job.
    Idgit likes this.
  8. skinsscalper

skinsscalper Well-Known Member

5,325 Messages
    307 Likes Received
    Honestly, my post really wasn't really directed particularly at you. I just used your post as the proverbial launch pad, per se (my apologies to you, personally). And, for the record, I'm just as unhappy about the things you listed as you are. I just don't see the point of the constant whining of some posters. It's not as if some of them actually contribute other than to repeat the same old tired **** day, after day, after day (again not directed particularly at you).
    Idgit likes this.
  9. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    You have been posting some good stuff these last couple of days.
    Zordon likes this.
  10. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

5,429 Messages
    1,701 Likes Received
    And this is where leadership comes into play. But from the players. Its gotta come from the players. The coach can encourage it. The coach can set the tone. But the coach cant make it happen.

Michael Irvin has said numerous times that this team has had the physical talent. Talent hasnt been our biggest problem.

Look at those teams in the 90's. Sure Jimmy was a great HC, but it really came from the players. Michael pushing everybody and Troy not settling for anything less than the best on the details. Charles Haley came in and showed these guys how to get serious and win. Many said Haley made the difference and it was all about the attitude.

All this chemistry stuff is on the players. They are the only ones that can make it happen.
    Zordon likes this.
  11. Dodger12

2,126 Messages
    708 Likes Received
    Sure the coach can make it happen. He has to be the lead. If it was all on the players, then how did things get so ugly and sloppy under Switzer? Were Irvin and Aikman less of a leader(s) when Switzer came on board?

Players can't bench other players. Players weren't afraid of Bledsoe or Vinny or Terry Glen or any other guys that BP brought in. Sure they play a role and promote the coach's philosophy. But it starts at the top.
    birdwells1 likes this.
  12. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

16,114 Messages
    1,783 Likes Received
    Lack of talent and misevaluation of talent have been big problems. Trotting out multiple UDFA OL like we did a couple of years ago or our current talent level at DL are not good enough to win. What we have done at the S position for pretty much the last decade is a travestry. Lynn Scott to Jeff Heath and it is more of the same. Up until they drafted Lee and Carter our LB couldn't run. You have to have guys that can compete athletically with other teams and the middle of the defense has been spotty for a long time.
    silver likes this.
  13. theSHOW

theSHOW Benched

3,050 Messages
    976 Likes Received
    Interesting take. I think you left out the part about Jerry putting everything into improving the show dog. The massive amount of time invested in training with that dog. I think that little show dog is bigger than the other events and it is the other events that help support the training of the dog. Maybe Jerry thinks that a little hair from the tale from the dog that bit me is in order, ha
  14. TheDallasDon

TheDallasDon AegonTheConqueror-Now bend the knee

2,486 Messages
    129 Likes Received
    Dude your a turncloak, just admit it
    Mansta54 likes this.
  15. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

5,429 Messages
    1,701 Likes Received
    The coach cant make it happen. He can only create an environment, set the tone. The players have to do it from there.

Ever heard Moose talking about the team that won SB XXX? He has said that team won that SB in spite of the coaching. It was the guys on that team that made it happen. Troy's leadership - it was his team.

You act as if the Coach Fairy can wave a magic wand and make it happen. Only in the movies and books, but in real life the players have to do it.

What happened to the Rangers after they ran Michael Young off? You get guys like Ian Kinsler who said he had too much stuff to do trying to play better to be a leader. He said being a leader was too much for him to bear. Teams need players that lead. Players that set the tone for the rest of the players. Wash can only do so much.
  16. WV Cowboy

WV Cowboy Waitin' on the 6th

10,745 Messages
    1,094 Likes Received
    You are right, I did leave that out. I could have mentioned that, in that way.

Although I did mention that he loves that dog! LOL

Glad you could follow the analogy.
  17. WV Cowboy

10,745 Messages
    1,094 Likes Received
    Even a blind squirrel ...
  18. tantrix1969

tantrix1969 Well-Known Member

955 Messages
    428 Likes Received
    Broaddus: Like His Opinion Or Not; Spears Keeps It Real
    There have been plenty of observations, both good and bad in regards to the comments made by former Dallas Cowboys defensive linemen, Marcus Spears during the Final Four basketball game at AT&T Stadium last Monday night on his twitter account.

I have the utmost respect for Marcus Spears and what he did for this organization. He has always been a standup guy whether the team won or lost. He would be at his locker every Monday to take question after question no matter how well thought out or ridiculous they were.

What you have to know about Marcus Spears is that no matter the situation, he has always been a player that gave his view whether you liked it or not. Over the years, I found him truthful and honest to a fault, while others in that locker room were not that way at all. There has always been a consistency with Spears, in his views about the shape of the team, the coaching staff or his own play. He has never shied away from telling it like it is.

To many Cowboys fans, Spears was a player that never lived up to the expectations where he was selected by our staff in 2005. Was a great player? Not really, but there was never a question of his leadership in that locker room and the responsibility that he felt toward his teammates. He was one of those rare players, along with Jason Witten, that felt that he had to step up and take ownership of his team and he did just that.

What I have found interesting is that there are people in social media or in the actual media that have taken the approach of calling Spears out for his tweets. Where the focus should be, is if you do not take his comments as anything other than an insightful and educated opinion, it is ignorant on your part.

For people to take the stance that it is just sour grapes or bitterness on Spears part, really don’t know the man. Bitterness is the furthest thing from the truth. I have seen Marcus Spears with my own eyes, visiting with veteran and rookie players alike at his locker, in the training room and on flights during road trips. He was always in a discussion with his teammates. He was a respected source, that any player could draw experience from in just a short conversation. If there was a man that had the pulse of his team and teammates, it was Marcus Spears.

I am not going to sit here and pretend to tell you that I knew what other players might have been invited to the game that Monday night, but what I will tell you, whether you choose to believe Marcus Spears or not, in his observation is real and truthful. Which comes from a player that lived the dynamic of the day to day life in a National Football League locker room and if he feels that what he saw Monday night in that suite could affect what players might be thinking, I would say this is not one of those situations that you take with just a grain of salt because I am not and neither should you.
    http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/a...-It-Real/90b7fa85-03eb-4891-ac7d-e77324dcd858
  19. WV Cowboy

10,745 Messages
    1,094 Likes Received
    In before many posters here start bashing Broaddus ...
    tantrix1969 and dreghorn2 like this.
  20. Fredd

Fredd Well-Known Member

3,535 Messages
    1,307 Likes Received
    in before "this thread has outlasted it's usefulness"