1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Costa gets extension, per Eatman...***2yr 2.7mil Post #61***

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Tejano15, Mar 2, 2013.

1. TheSport78

TheSport78 The Excellence of Execution

8,444 Messages
    421 Likes Received
    No doubt. For the future, Tyron is the only current projected starter I have confidence in. We need to get 1, if not 2 starting OL in this draft.
  2. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

30,485 Messages
    6,199 Likes Received
    I'd agree with that. The second being the winner of a competition at RT, I'd assume?
  3. TheSport78

8,444 Messages
    421 Likes Received
    Honestly, I'd rather have a pay-cut ladened Free and Parnell fight it out for the RT spot in camp, and make serious upgrades on the interior OL through the draft. I get it that we're stuck with Livings for another year because of his re-structuring, so I think the OL in 2013 will be this:

LT Tyron Smith
    LG Nate Livings
    C Phil Costa or Bernadeau
    RG Jonathan Cooper or Larry Warford
    RT Jeremy Parnell

I love the idea of having two athletic tackles. Free used to be athletic earlier in his career and he used that to his advantage to make-up for his lack of strength/power, but now he has neither. At least Parnell has the athleticism and the upside...
  4. StanleySpadowski

StanleySpadowski Active Member

4,815 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    You do realize that Romo only made the team because Carter failed the drug test right? That's not the Bloated Tuna's genius, that's lady luck smiling upon an franchise.
  5. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

16,308 Messages
    2,113 Likes Received
    It's good to see you posting again, Stan. When you do your grades to grade plays pass fail or is there a scale?
  6. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,635 Messages
    1,100 Likes Received
    Pass protection is his weakness and playing center surrounded by bigger OGs is how they can get away with it.
  7. Fla Cowpoke

Fla Cowpoke Well-Known Member

2,676 Messages
    583 Likes Received
    It's funny when people say Costa didn't really match up well with Ngata and then point to two bigger guys and two healthy guys and say he did it against them.

I guess there goes burma's argument he only did well against a weakened Ngata. SO much worse that he did it against a healthy Cody and Kemoteau. LOLZ.

They kept Costa for about the minimum they could. He gives them a guy who might be able to start and doesn't preclude them from signing anyone else or drafting anyone. Yet it ends up a 13 page thread. Amazing.
  8. Bigdog24

Bigdog24 Well-Known Member

1,935 Messages
    236 Likes Received
    The good OL'days

anyone remember the Costa I remember?

Tue Sep 27 12:35pm EDT
    Video: Phil Costa and the terrible, horrible, no-good, very bad day

he Dallas Cowboys went to 2-1 by way of their 18-16 Monday night win over the Washington Redskins, but the fact that the Cowboys won is not the abiding memory most came away with. Besides the fact that it was a festival for field goals (Dallas never actually got in the end zone, and the Redskins scored just one touchdown), the visual most will remember of that game is the four botched snaps by Cowboys center Phil Costa. If you haven't seen them, here's the gag reel

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/sh...-horrible-no-good-very-bad-day?urn=nfl,wp8088

My trust in Garrett and the Jones' fixing the OL issues have drastically declined... I saw it first hand in training camp...The COSTA experiment was a failure...he was lost then and proved it on the field.....

So i suppose Costa turned into superman after playing just how many games in 2012......riiiight.

UNCOMFORTABLE....yes Mr Jones you have made everyone UNCOMFORTABLE
  9. TheSport78

8,444 Messages
    421 Likes Received
    It's also funny that people are still making excuses for Costa.

You say that signing Costa to about the minimum won't preclude them from signing someone else, but we both know that isn't going to happen, especially after Jerry essentially said he could see Costa as the long-term answer at center.
  10. Idgit

30,485 Messages
    6,199 Likes Received
    We don't know what they're going to do, but a modest extension to Costa's deal makes sense and is good for the team.
  11. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    Remember all the Chicken Littles saying he was the reason our line was bad?
  12. Ratmatt

Ratmatt Active Member

919 Messages
    70 Likes Received
    Another payday for a mediocre player!
  13. Fla Cowpoke

Fla Cowpoke Well-Known Member

2,676 Messages
    583 Likes Received
    It's hardly even starter's money. Name another starting OL that isn't on a rookie contract that is making less money. Would be very hard to do I bet.
  14. StanleySpadowski

StanleySpadowski Active Member

4,815 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    My current grading system is similar to academic grading in that it's a 0-4 scale. I rarely ever give 0s or 4s as those usually require a total whiff or blowing up the opponent. Getting blown up in pass protection is typically a 1 or "D" as it at least slows the opponent down but it may be a 0 on a run play.

I vary from a lot of grading system in that I weight games similar to an AP high school class. A player's first game gets .01 multiplier while their 16th gets .16. The rationale is that players should be more comfortable with the "system" as the season goes on. It rewards players who play well late in the season which in theory is when you want to be playing your best as the playoffs approach. The hole in weighting this way is that it punishes a player who misses a few games but at the same time, missing time should be punished.

I've been attempting to come up with a weighting system that accounts for snaps so that part time players are at a disadvantage over full time players but haven't developed a solution yet.
  15. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,596 Messages
    1,560 Likes Received
    Just ONE of the reasons it stank in 2011. Probably the biggest though.

2012 Stank without his help.

But then some don't want to believe the line stank apparently
  16. Idgit

30,485 Messages
    6,199 Likes Received
    We're only supposed to pay the great ones. And them, not too much.
  17. TheSport78

8,444 Messages
    421 Likes Received
    I have absolutely no issue with Costa being the backup swing guy, but I think the team sees him as a starter. Based on what I've seen in his career thus far, I can't have confidence in the guy.
  18. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

16,308 Messages
    2,113 Likes Received
    Right on. I like that it makes it much more meaningful if a bit more subjective. Appreciate the insight.