1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Could Brockers play NT in 3-4 well?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Aliencowboy, Apr 5, 2012.

1. JoeCorrado

JoeCorrado Active Member

1,972 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Brockers will be a beast at DE for any 3-4 team. He does provide flexibility as a NT if needed but that is not where his abilities would fit best.

Surprising solid at holding his ground in the middle, and can get a push even against double teams... THAT fact- for a guy at 6-6 should be screaming to anybody about his potential at DE as a pass rusher, or setting the edge as a run stuffer.

He is a high motor type with talent who will take a season to bloom- but the potential is staggering... and why he is considered as a value anywhere in the draft outside top ten.
  2. cowboysooner

cowboysooner Well-Known Member

1,382 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    I agree we need a defensive end worse than a safety. I can also see the merit of a giant run stuffing defensive end being more necessary in Dallas above a more well rounded d end. because we are playing a 1 gap 3 technique at nose tackle with coverage inside backers.
  3. cowboy_ron

cowboy_ron You Can't Fix Stupid

4,235 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    That would be like Herman Munster playing NT
  4. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,610 Messages
    103 Likes Received
    Yeah my problem is, you can't really scheme on D as easily when your playing Hatch and Cox at the same time against certain passing teams. As Bill Walsh would say, the offense will attack you at your weak spot on D, so playing them together would probably get us ran on more even by passing teams.

I can see Brokers is setup as an immediate run stopper even when doubled on D, while Cox will help more in the pass rushing area (probably at WDE) although its not like he is some dominate pass rusher with only 8.5 sacks for his entire 3 year career.

A one dimensional 3-4 DE shouldn't be high on the target list at #14.
  5. cowboysooner

1,382 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    I'm not worried if I draft over Hatcher and I think Cox is a good all around 3-4 end. He is just not as good as Brockers against the run. I expect both players to improve quite a bit. I think some of the other prospects are playing closer to their ceilings.
  6. Dough Boy

Dough Boy Seldom Seen

2,147 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    How tall was Ted Washington?
  7. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,610 Messages
    103 Likes Received
    I just don't see it, unless one of them is JJ Watt good (which they aren't), can't say I'm all that interested in a 3-4 DE this high in this draft.

Spears was a better player in college (yeah I saw them both), and much more productive, than Brockers.

Both of these guys are very questionable.
  8. cowboysooner

1,382 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    6-5 and huge
  9. cowboysooner

1,382 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    Watt was better than a typical 11th pick. I think he will be the best 3-4 tackle within 3 years and really only Ngata and Smith are better today.
  10. koolaid

koolaid Drink Me

1,764 Messages
    75 Likes Received
    I love seeing all the respect for Watt on the forums these days.
    Can't believe how many people said they would have been sick before the draft if we would have picked him. Not that I blame them, I have been wrong about players countless times. I was excited about Skyler Green...

Watt was unbelievable at Wisconsin. His ability to block kicks was insane. His game against #1 Ohio state was one of the best performances I have ever seen by a DE. I'm glad he went to a team I don't hate in the Texans.
  11. btcutter

btcutter Well-Known Member

2,659 Messages
    159 Likes Received
    NEVER use your 1st round pick PURELY on POTENTIAL. That's a franchise killer.

1st rounders needs to HAVE produced and has POTENTIAL as well.

Brocker to me is too risky. He played on a stacked DL at LSU. He hasn't produced. Sure he's young but I refuse to draft a kid just because he has potential. Hell, Poe may have even more potential. But I won't take him either.

Potential is a DIRTY word for HAVEN'T DONE JACK....but maybe...
  12. dwmyers

dwmyers Well-Known Member

2,047 Messages
    37 Likes Received
    Just some notes:

* Different people have different notions of the NT body type. A lot of the original NTs were short. That's no longer true. Or, as Pat Kirwan says, the NT ideal is 6' 2" to 6' 4" and around 340-350 pounds.

* People aren't double teaming Brockers in the national championship game based on potential. They're double teaming him because they have to.

* People who get hung up on body types shouldn't be allowed to root for Tony Romo. He's too short and too slow to play quarterback. The same could be said for Drew Brees.

* Oh yea, and Jonathan Babineaux can't play defensive line, period. He's too light. You guys with the body type arguments have proven that he's unable to play defensive tackle.

* Dwight Freeney is too short to play defensive end. DEs have to be 6' 6" tall, don't they? How tall is Dwight? I think he's recorded as being 6' 1" on nfl.com.

D-
  13. cowboysooner

1,382 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    Brockers is Red Bryant.
  14. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,362 Messages
    1,991 Likes Received
    No
    the 3-4 NT is all about mucking it up and attitude and taking on blockers and holding up with double teams

not sure that is brockers
  15. cowboysooner

1,382 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    He holds up to double teams very well. It is his best skill at this point.
  16. Dough Boy

Dough Boy Seldom Seen

2,147 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    That's my point. You can be 6-5 and play NT. Leverage helps you hold the point of attack, but it is a by product of strength. If Brokers is strong enough to hold the point, it should not matter that he is 6-5 or 6-6.

At this point, Brokers greatest asset is his ability to hold the point and take on double teams without getting pushed back.

As Ratliff has shown, NT come in all shapes and sizes.
  17. Chuck 54

Chuck 54 Well-Known Member

9,264 Messages
    222 Likes Received
    NT---NO Way...too tall and too talented...easy to get double-teamed.

DE---I prefer Cox or Coples because of the pass rush and upfield capabilities right now, but I still believe that at age 20, Brockers would immediately be the best DE on our current team...and he could potentially be unblockable 1-1 in 2-3 years.

Of course, potential can make you or break you...when looking at Brockers on film, you have to keep reminding yourself that you're looking at a 19-20 year old starting in big-time college. He certainly is not a finished product.
  18. CCBoy

CCBoy Benched

16,573 Messages
    1,090 Likes Received
    Raw strength is something you just can't teach or train...as we saw early on with Bob Lilly. The size of biceps or quads, doesn't dictate immovable force and ability to disrupt in football. That is an applied talent that is raw in origin.

Dominance is born in that raw ability...only effectiveness improves with technique work.
  19. Dough Boy

Dough Boy Seldom Seen

2,147 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Again, how tall was Ted Washington?