1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Could coach Mike Woicik be the problem...

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by lqmac1, Dec 26, 2012.

1. lqmac1

lqmac1 Well-Known Member

1,091 Messages
    201 Likes Received
    For all these injuries? Has he lost his training touch, you think? It seems every year there is a significant injury on this team!
  2. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

11,498 Messages
    882 Likes Received
    It is hard to blame impact injuries on the training staff. That said, the early season hamstring injury outbreak is something that I feel falls squarely on their shoulders.

/reality
  3. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,515 Messages
    463 Likes Received
    Hamstring injuries, more often than not, are a result of not hydrating well enough.

That may or may not be on him, but the players themselves - being that this is their profession - should take it upon themselves to make sure they're hydrated AND stretched daily, not just before practice.

I can't really blame the conditioning coach for players not drinking enough water.
  4. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

27,768 Messages
    3,757 Likes Received
    I'd be interested in hearing what 'losing his training touch' might entail.
  5. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,515 Messages
    463 Likes Received
    I think a big reason the cowboys have been so strong in the 4th quarter this year is Woicik.
  6. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

27,768 Messages
    3,757 Likes Received
    I think so, too. JG's said as much in a couple press conferences, and it's pretty apparent. The injury bug has been killer this season, though. It's unrelated to the trainer, I'm sure, but it's still killer.
  7. Reality

11,498 Messages
    882 Likes Received
    As an active athlete for most of my life, I'm quite familiar with why hamstring injuries can occur. That said, the training staff is responsible for insuring players stay hydrated and stretch appropriately. One or two hamstring issues is quite common on teams, but the rash of issues we had earlier in the season and in training camp definitely makes you wonder how thorough they do their job and the routines and training techniques they employ with the players.

That is not to say Woicik or any one person is to blame, but just like the coaching staff, there are certain expectations of the training staff as well. Sometimes, good coaches get replaced due to poor performance when it is not their fault, but the NFL is a results driven league.

/reality
  8. Illini88228

Illini88228 Well-Known Member

1,194 Messages
    99 Likes Received
    Exactly.

It cracks me up how much people here hate coaches. As long as they're someplace else, they're the best thing since sliced bread. As soon as they come here, all of a sudden they couldn't coach their way out of a wet paper bag. It's preposterous.

Woicik is still a good S & C coach. Just like Houck was still a good o-line coach and Parcells was still a good head coach, etc. People just want someone to blame and because they don't know what the real causes are, they blame the coaching staff in the name of "accountability" which apparently translates roughly to arbitrary blame for things that are beyond your control.
  9. Yuma Cactus

Yuma Cactus Active Member

665 Messages
    27 Likes Received
    Exactly.
  10. jobberone

jobberone Save the Snow Leopard Staff Member

35,034 Messages
    2,584 Likes Received
    The risk factors for hamstring injuries is having muscles that are not long enough for the forceful action, prior injury, and imbalanced muscles. I think players should be properly hydrated but I don't know if that is a risk factor or not without doing some reading.

The staff should evaluate players regularly as to lengthening their tendons and muscles and to ensure proper balance between the quads and hamstrings. Players injured should be evaluated almost daily esp in the rehab phase.

It's not an easy task to maintain balance although I'm not up to date with the latest technology. You can still measure acceleration and repetition but there is an art to getting not only balance between quad/hamstring in one leg but also both legs need to be roughly equal.

It's always been easier for me to train my quads than hamstrings.
  11. Reality

11,498 Messages
    882 Likes Received
    That is a very valid point. I know Garrett stressed that very point back in training camp. He said the team needed to be able to play a full 4 quarters and every game of the season.

If you look back in recent years, some of our seasons end fading can be blamed on conditioning, lack of sufficient depth and the inability to close out games or come from behind in games in the second half of the season. Say what you will, but there has been an improvement in that area this year.

I still say the training camp and early season hamstring issues were disconcerting. It may very well be due to the training staff relying more on players to do their part back then and later becoming more involved and aggressive in staying on the players after the outbreak of those rash of injuries.

/reality
  12. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,604 Messages
    630 Likes Received
    Hydration does play a part in it. Having enough water is essential for just about anything, and having proper electolyte balance is important because sodium and potassium are (in part) responsible for muscle contraction, action potentials, fiber recruitment...all that technical stuff.

But a lot of it is what you said about muscle balance and overall flexibility. For instance, the hamstrings and quads oppose each other to maintain balance at the hip and the knee. If the quads are too much stronger than the hamstrings, then the hammy's have to work harder to maintain that balance. When you sprint, the hamstrings are responsible for much of the power and drive. If they have to work harder than they really want to, they'll fail.

Another example is lack of lower back or hip flexor flexibility. This can make it difficult for the hamstrings to work through their optimal range of motion, thus again making them have to work harder than they want to. How much of this falls on the training staff, I'd say some. But the truth is, so many of these pro athletes have a lot going on outside of their team, especially in the offseason. Personal trainers, nutritionists, exercise physiologists, physical therapists, you name it.
  13. durrrr

durrrr Active Member

719 Messages
    69 Likes Received
    It's a violent game. Players get hurt. Doesn't have to be anyone's fault.
  14. RastaRocket

RastaRocket Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.

5,822 Messages
    403 Likes Received
    I feel like the injuries this season are just bad luck. We don't really have any nagging hamstrings or anything of that nature. Everything seems to be the result of just playing a physical game.
  15. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

19,726 Messages
    5,258 Likes Received

I'm sorry, I was distracted counting Woicik's Super Bowl rings. What was the question?
  16. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

11,589 Messages
    606 Likes Received
    It could be.

I remember when Lovie Smith became the HC for the Bears they had a rash of hamstring injuries to their players and Smith stated that he knew it would happen because it happens every first year he takes over the team or the defense due to the way he trains.

That wouldn't bother me too much if that was the case. Although Woicik had a lot of injured players in New England as well, but IIRC, they were mostly cornerbacks which I believe is the most injury prone position in the NFL.

YR
  17. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

74,861 Messages
    1,507 Likes Received
    No it is just football and players get hurt.
  18. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,645 Messages
    397 Likes Received
    Only person with nagging hammy issues is the same guy who always has them.
  19. Chuck 54

Chuck 54 Well-Known Member

9,213 Messages
    189 Likes Received
    Not to compare myself to these athletes, but I tore a hammy 20 years ago that still gets tight and pulls my lower back out from time to time if not stretched regularly. Maybe some of our rash of hamstring injuries has something to do with guys who have recurring hamstring issues, like Miles Austin.
  20. Vintage

Vintage The Cult of Jib

12,853 Messages
    606 Likes Received
    If there is one thing I'm confident about, it's that no one here actually knows the answer to this question.