1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Could Mack Brown be stepping down?

Discussion in 'Sports Zone' started by jterrell, Dec 10, 2013.

1. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,903 Messages
    1,501 Likes Received
    Reported by Orangebloods and Chip Brown.
  2. rkell87

rkell87 Well-Known Member

7,361 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    joe schad reporting that UT has denied the report
  3. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,923 Messages
    1,506 Likes Received
    Also heard reports that Mack Brown is out right now on a recruiting trip.
  4. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,286 Messages
    4,605 Likes Received
  5. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,903 Messages
    1,501 Likes Received
    UT denied Dodds report too. 24 hours later he made it official.

Chip Brown is THE UT insider.
    I believe him.

Mack is recruiting now in Florida but to me that just says the decision has been made for him.
    He spoke to School officials for 3 hours yesterday.
  6. rkell87

rkell87 Well-Known Member

7,361 Messages
    130 Likes Received
  7. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,518 Messages
    2,392 Likes Received
    Unless a coach jumps ship to another school, it is inevitable that all college coaches eventually get either fired or forcefully "retired".

Very few (almost none) leave on top, never to coach again.

Actually, that'd be a good project for someone to see if they can find any highly successful college coach that ever left on top--not for another school, but just...left voluntarily.

He served Texas well but it was time for everyone to move on.
  8. TheCoolFan

TheCoolFan Well-Known Member

7,342 Messages
    279 Likes Received
    He's done. Too much smoke. They'll probably try to deny all they want right now until Mack decides the time is right to announce it, which could be in a few days or even a few weeks.
  9. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,194 Messages
    2,033 Likes Received
    http://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1585894

I believe this is a more accurate report of what is about to take place at Texas.

I think there is something to the earlier reports but I think the reporting was way early and whomever leaked that should be fired. Mack deserves to do this on his own terms IMO. He will talk to his players first and probably coach the Alamo but we'll see about that one.
  10. Fritsch_the_cat

Fritsch_the_cat Well-Known Member

966 Messages
    558 Likes Received
    Agreed, but only as long as he is willing to leave. If not...
  11. Fletch

Fletch To The Moon

9,961 Messages
    1,106 Likes Received
    I have mixed emotions on this. I like Mack Brown, but it might be time for some new blood to help infuse the Longhorns. Admittedly I used to be a die-hard Aggies fan for years. That changed two years ago for a couple of reasons. One, my late father who just passed away was a Texas fan for as long as I can remember, and my older brother has always been a big Texas fan. It was time to right the ship and and jump on board with the Texas Longhorns. It was also time to leave Aggieland due to the all Johnny Football crap! I can't stand that kid. Oh yeah, almost forgot that I couldn't stand how Texas A&M left the Big 12 for the SEC, taking away one of the best rivalries in all of college football - Texas vs. Texas A&M!
    calico likes this.
  12. Aggie87

Aggie87 Member

163 Messages
    22 Likes Received
    If you were that big a fan you'd remember that A&M, as they left, said they'd gladly continue the rivalry at any time, any place. Texas said no thanks.

Now neither side seems interested in resuming the series, but it was clearly Texas that didn't want to continue it when A&M left for the SEC.
  13. Aikbach

Aikbach Well-Known Member

9,722 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    He's gone, it is inevitable, how high profile his replacement is will be the real news story.
  14. StylisticS

StylisticS Well-Known Member

8,552 Messages
    283 Likes Received
    Both sides have their reasons unfortunately for not playing the series. I understand both sides as well.
  15. calico

calico Well-Known Member

4,260 Messages
    87 Likes Received
    I like mack and everything he's done for Texas, but it's time to go. I can't wait to see what the new blood can do.
  16. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,903 Messages
    1,501 Likes Received
    That was just talk by TAMU. They were never scheduling UT and the SEC.
    UT has actually scheduled SEC schools and does like to have 1 high profile OOC game but TAMU has zero interest in playing UT plus the SEC West.
    Hopefully they meet in some bowl games.

Who TAMU should schedule is Texas Tech.
    That was a heated rivalry in multiple sports and TAMU has the advantage with the recruits so should see it as beneficial.
    After Tech being a better Big 12 team over the life of the Big 12 conference TAMU doesn't scare them at all.
    And of course now you have the Kliff and Sumlin connections for even more storylines.
  17. Aikbach

Aikbach Well-Known Member

9,722 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    I'm truly shocked the replacement is not already lined up, seems something didn't pan out ad planned