1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Could Receiver be a higher priority than we expect?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by CATCH17, Apr 10, 2012.

1. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,158 Messages
    1,339 Likes Received
    I mean we are 1 hit away from having Ogletree start.

This time a year ago I didn't think that was a big deal but after watching what happened last season I feel like receiver may be a higher priority for the Cowboys than we think.

Anyone think we could see Dallas go receiver as early as round 2?
  2. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,415 Messages
    1,458 Likes Received
    No, not really.
  3. CosmicCowboy

CosmicCowboy Member

935 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    just hope Austin's hamstrings stay healthy....:rolleyes:
  4. cobra

cobra Salty Bastard

3,134 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    No. We aren't the Lions.

"The one hit away" argument is dumb because it applies at every position for every team in the league. "They are one hit away from not having Rodgers/Brees/Peterson/Brady/etc"

There is a reason backups are backups. There arent even enough quality WR starters in the league for everyone to have 2. Ogletree isn't a starter but he is a capable backup if he gets his stuff together.

That doesn't mean we are set at WR. We should look WR in the middle rounds if there is a high rated one available. And the team should keep an eye on the free agent market looking for another Robinson type.

But it certainly is not a priority and should NOT be something we do in the first two rounds. I think there is a .05% chance we would go WR in the first two rounds.
  5. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,158 Messages
    1,339 Likes Received

The 1 hit away argument is far more likely than dumb with Austin and Dez.

The Lions also use top 10 picks on their receivers. Year after year.

I just wonder how much of a priority it is to replace Laurent Robinson.

He and Murray changed our season. We need another guy like that and Ogletree just isn't that guy like I had hoped.

Hopefully D. Harris or this other no name that Jerry is pom pom'ing steps up.
  6. rocboy22

rocboy22 Active Member

1,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I would hope we don't go receiver until the 5th, maybe the compensatory 4th rounder.
  7. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,158 Messages
    1,339 Likes Received

Im the same way. Im not big on collecting receivers but after what I saw last year Pre-Robinson it's made me think twice.
  8. Chuck 54

Chuck 54 Well-Known Member

9,232 Messages
    199 Likes Received
    WR in round 2...unlikely, but not impossible. Someone with first round talent slides to us that far...highest rated on our board significantly, I would think we'd make the pick and assume we have our #3 or we'd trade down.
  9. rocboy22

rocboy22 Active Member

1,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The thing is, if we lose Austin or Bryant we probably would be better of with some veteran FA (like Robinson) than a rookie. I think they are just waiting this out and may pick someone up for the veteran minimum after seeing how guys are doing in camp.
  10. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,687 Messages
    1,136 Likes Received
    Depends where Broyles goes...
  11. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Frankly I would follow the Packers model of taking a WR the top 100 picks of every draft. No primary WR, just 4-5 guys who can exploit any weakness in a coverage matchup. Having 2 stud starters is nice, until one of those studs goes down and you got Kevin Ogletree filling in as a starter.
  12. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

21,901 Messages
    1,656 Likes Received
    If extreme value is there after the 2nd or 3rd round...who knows.
    But, otherwise, I've rarely heard of a team picking a backup (or at best WR3) in the first two rounds of the draft. If they pick them that high, they expect them to start or contibute heavily...or they expect they may lose a starter to FA in a year.
    Again, that assumes a player they (and obviously, only they) consider a star falls into their laps 20-40 picks later than slotted.

I agree that it has worked for Green Bay though. I think they have always felt that they scout WRs better than everyone else, so they have an advantage there. I do think part of the reason they have been picking players early is becasue they knew at some point Driver was going to hang it up or fall off in production.
    They hit on Jennings but still flet theywould need another starter, so they kept trying. James Jones was iffy, so they tried some more.... They hit on Jordy, but thought they were losing Jones.
    Anyway, it's not a bad idea to keep the cuppard staocked if you're a team that throws it a ton.
  13. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,322 Messages
    668 Likes Received
    Only if there is value.
  14. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,158 Messages
    1,339 Likes Received
    Jordy Nelson
  15. CopenhagenCowboy

CopenhagenCowboy Active Member

885 Messages
    68 Likes Received
    This team needs a true slot WR. But you can have that in rounds 3-4.
  16. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Last year the Packers took Randall Cobb in the 2nd round and he was projected to be their 5th WR behind Jennings, Driver, Nelson, James Jones. I don't think they regret it either.

I don't think I would go 2nd round, especially since it's a high 2nd, but the Cowboys should absolutely start having WRs in their radar in the 3rd round. With Austin and Dez's injury problems, and Kevin Olgree as your 3rd WR. That's an issue.
  17. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,839 Messages
    916 Likes Received
    Theoretically they are in BPA mode. No position would suprise me beyond round 2.
  18. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,158 Messages
    1,339 Likes Received
    This team just has soooo soo many holes. There is no way we can come away from the draft and have filled every hole.

I just know that before Murray and Robinson stepped on the field it was a circus on offense. We looked like the most poorly coached team in the league offensively.
  19. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

21,901 Messages
    1,656 Likes Received
    True about Cobb.

I think they were picking him as a potential star return man who would soon be their WR3 though. They know Driver can't go forever and Jones was assummed to have been leaving this year.
    Anyway, I agree, they are probably happy with Cobb.

Hmmm, now that you mention it, the Cowboys could use a star return man and a WR3. They have many other issues too, but depending on how much they like the young guys, WR may be one too.
  20. bsheeern

bsheeern Well-Known Member

1,760 Messages
    50 Likes Received
    Wouldnt surprise me if we went WR in round 1 or 2. Moreso in round 2 but there's always the possibility we trade back.

Your 3rd and 4th WRs have the potential the play close the 50% of your snaps.

The WR position in the nfl becoming a very unique. Teams are using less and less of the FB position and the 2TE set. The WR position is getting the snaps in their place.