1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Could this be our future too?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by LittleD, Mar 4, 2013.

1. LittleD

LittleD Active Member

829 Messages
    56 Likes Received
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...cons-will-face-franchise-tag-dilemma-in-2014/

I'm not predicting but the no hurry to extend Romo is seeming eerily similar to Atlanta's predicament. CAA could council Romo that it is in his best interest to play out his contract and force the Boys to franchise him next year. He does not have to sign any contract that doesn't get him over 18mil per season. The boys would be forced to franchise or try and trade him this year on draft day. Tony & CAA holds all the cards now. The franchise tag next year will likely get him between 16 & 18mil. Pretty nice position to be in.... Me thinks...
  2. Dhragon

Dhragon Deadly Claws of Death

1,289 Messages
    151 Likes Received
    I don't ever hear of a player who WANTS to be franchise tagged. While very good money, it's just for ONE year. Players are wanting a multi year deal to get big bucks for more than just one year.
  3. LittleD

LittleD Active Member

829 Messages
    56 Likes Received
    Romo will be 34 next year...Who's to say he isn't getting sick & tired of all the negative Dallas media attention along with fan hate. This would be his only chance to force a move to another team (such as Minnesota) that might help him get a SB trophy. Just saying, the raging quiet on his extension status is quite telling...isn't it????

Oh, maybe Romo at 34 will want to get out of football and take up golf for a living.... Less fan hate there for sure, right?
  4. SDCowboy85

SDCowboy85 Well-Known Member

14,605 Messages
    1,053 Likes Received
    For Romo, unless he really doesn't want to play here, it is not in his best interest to play out his contract because he'll be another year older. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the Cowboys can franchise him practically because of the three phony years at the end of his contract.
  5. muck4doo

muck4doo Well-Known Member

1,950 Messages
    53 Likes Received
    Exactly. I can't get over the fact so many of our fans are so quick to want to get rid of Romo. They don't remember how long it took between decent QB's. I posted it before, and I'll post it again. If we get rid of Romo this is what we are looking forward to. Don't just skim at the link. Read it and weep:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/forum/_/name/nyj/new-york-jets#!/topic/1362257961-624-266

Trade Romo and we'll be asking the same questions.
  6. LittleD

LittleD Active Member

829 Messages
    56 Likes Received
    The phoney years aren't phoney if Romo refuses to extend. The boys will be forced then to consider trading him for what they can get. Maybe that's what he really wants... I sense a Brees move coming here with CAA pulling the strings.... If this was holdum poker, Romo holds all the cards....
  7. Angus

Angus Active Member

5,064 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Another scenario: Romo refuses to extend this year, forcing the Cowboys to greatly upgrade the offensive line if he might have to be replaced, inasmuch as it is clear only an escape artist like Romo can survive behind a line like the present one; the chance that he might be gone after this year is too great, even if they plan to franchise him next year; the improvement greatly enhances Romo's effectiveness and he delivers a Super Bowl win at the end of this year.

Everybody wins.

:)
  8. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,246 Messages
    1,833 Likes Received
    The sad irony is that they'll finally fix the line about the time Tony retires or moves on. Then the next guy comes in and has it easy. Unless the Cowboys make some good moves on that front this offseason, it looks likethis really could be the case.
  9. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

5,028 Messages
    1,423 Likes Received
    Why would anybody that is the starting QB for the Dallas Cowboys want to go anywhere else?

All this crazy speculative nonsense about Romo wanting to get out of here is beyond ridiculous. You guys have been listening to Matt Mosley far too long. This is exactly the same kinda stuff he spews.
  10. Dhragon

Dhragon Deadly Claws of Death

1,289 Messages
    151 Likes Received
    The raging quiet you speak of is just him and/or his agent playing the game is all, trying to get the best deal for Romo. That's all, I bet. Normal actually.
  11. ufcrules1

ufcrules1 Well-Known Member

6,828 Messages
    1,158 Likes Received
    lol.. would be a dream come true. I can't fault you for day dreaming.
  12. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,246 Messages
    1,833 Likes Received
    He likes it here. His wife is from here. The grandparents (on wife's side) live here.
    The broken bones every year are getting old.

But, as you said, being the QB of the Dallas Cowboys is an awfully good gig overall.
  13. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

10,825 Messages
    3,548 Likes Received
    The difference between Flacco and Romo:

When the 2013 season starts:
    Flacco Age 28
    Romo Age 33

Romo's salary for 2013 is 11.5M.

If the gets Franchised in 2014, then by 2015 he is 25 years old. Will a 35 or older QB not named Payton Manning get huge contract offers?
  14. ABQcowboyJR

ABQcowboyJR Well-Known Member

2,831 Messages
    93 Likes Received
    I have said for awhile that I don't see a great reason for Romo not to try and get to FA. It makes the most sense for him.
  15. RastaRocket

RastaRocket Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.

5,851 Messages
    417 Likes Received
    Romo has 67.5 million reasons why he could care less about the media attention. He's about to have more, many more.
  16. Section444

Section444 Well-Known Member

4,244 Messages
    784 Likes Received
    :pray:
  17. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,171 Messages
    785 Likes Received
    And we got him cheap the first time around. This time will cost us. He's earned it.
  18. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,729 Messages
    729 Likes Received
    If Romo leaves this team because the media or forum posts hurt his feelings, I'd say good riddance.
  19. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

14,290 Messages
    2,028 Likes Received
    Guys, the extension for Romo is going to get done. It is in nobody's best interest to have him play out this season as is.