1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Councilmember Charges Racism at Dallas City Hall

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by trickblue, Oct 2, 2008.

1. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,942 Messages
    356 Likes Received
    You may remember this thread:

http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121541&highlight=john wiley price

Well they're at it again...

Link

Councilmember Charges Racism at Dallas City Hall

Vague allegations of racism in and around Dallas City Hall have turned into very pointed personal attacks questioning the racial intent of individuals.

The controversy swirls around one four-letter word used by a planning commissioner during the debate over whether to rename Ross Avenue for Cesar Chavez.

Last week, city planning commissioner Neil Emmons said, "I, speaking only for myself, believe there are dark racist forces in this building."

On Wednesday, a Dallas resident who addressed the council said something similar: "I am here to ask this city council to help us dissipate this dark cloud of racism."

The use of the word "dark" twice in one week was too much for Deputy Mayor Pro Tem Dwaine Caraway.

"You can just call it racism, but I would appreciate it if you would take the 'dark' portion out," Caraway said during Wednesday morning's council session. "And Mr. Emmons from last week should have had his mouth washed out with soap as far as I'm personally concerned."

Caraway told FOX 4 that he believed Emmons' comments were possibly a back-handed slap at a black colleague.

"Don't throw poisoned darts at someone," said Caraway. "He may have been throwing that dart, in my opinion, at my planning commissioner Michael Davis."

Davis did not return FOX 4's calls for comment, but Emmons did.

"I certainly apologize if anything I said was misconstrued or was hurtful or caused any harm," said Emmons. "It was not meant that way at all."

Caraway said the insult may not make sense to everyone. "First, they have to be black to understand it," he said.
  2. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,530 Messages
    3,832 Likes Received
    I guess Dwaine Caraway is not going to get invited to any black tie dinners any time soon.
  3. trickblue

28,942 Messages
    356 Likes Received
    :eek:

[IMG]
  4. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,530 Messages
    3,832 Likes Received
    No he is racist, he is using every day words from black hole, a dark day and trying to turn it in to more than it is. This guy is a joke and his belittling of what real racism is
  5. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,190 Messages
    7,007 Likes Received
    Dallas politics have always been screwy, even way back to when I was living in the metroplex.
  6. trickblue

28,942 Messages
    356 Likes Received
    He's just following in the steps of John Wiley Price and Al Lipscomb...
  7. Maikeru-sama

Maikeru-sama Mick Green 58

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yep, and racism and distrust between mexicans, blacks and whites on the council has been a big part of it even though this latest claims seems to be a non-story.
  8. trickblue

28,942 Messages
    356 Likes Received
    Dallas has the most dysfunctional city council in America. The sad thing is that it's been that way for over 20 years...