1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Cowboys Break talking about Ratliff

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by LatinMind, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

5,956 Messages
    522 Likes Received
    Yeah-his big egotistical head got to him mixed in with maybe a hint of bi-polar.

How on gawd's green earth does he not move heaven and hell to be with his teammates last night?
  2. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

12,384 Messages
    4,945 Likes Received
    I agree with this.

There is 6M of the signing bonus that is prorated over 2013, 2014, and 2015. If he gets Cut, then that would end up being 3M against the 2013 cap and 3M against the 2014 cap.

In addition to the signing bonus, there is approximately 4.875M of guaranteed money that has not been paid out. It appears that this is in his 2013 base salary. Guaranteed base salary cannot be spread out over 2 years if he is cut (i.e. no June 2 designation for base salary).

Therefore, the total cap hit would be:

2013: (3M + 4.875M) = 7.875M

2014: 3M

Total: 10.875M
  3. Bluefin

Bluefin Well-Known Member

3,038 Messages
    159 Likes Received
    There are 11 players on Injured Reserve, so Jay Ratliff wasn't the only one to skip the trip.

I don't know what the future holds on the Ratliff front.

If deemed a bad apple, he will be cut, cap consequenses and all.

I hope it hasn't come to that, but the team must always come first.
  4. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,206 Messages
    123 Likes Received

......some hope on the Austin front but Jrat is a disaster cap wise: holy crap man, especially when you add the Brent debacle into the mix re. the Dline: we might be worse off there than the oline right now and that's saying something:rolleyes:
  5. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,516 Messages
    1,322 Likes Received
    not true at all....
  6. ilovejerry

ilovejerry Active Member

3,337 Messages
    24 Likes Received

So what your saying is we need a new GM
  7. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,528 Messages
    2,215 Likes Received
    What part?

He has 4.5M guaranteed left and base salaries for like 6.5M for the next 3 years. Highest his cap number goes in the next 3 years is 8.4M which is pretty low for a guy that Austin can be. Granted he hasn't been that guy but he has shown the ability to be a top WR.

Here's a comparison.

5 years 32M for Laurent Robinson

Or 4 years, 35M for Miles Austin.

I think there would be a number of teams willing to trade for the guy because his contract is friendly for that other team. Because Jerry screwed around with his contract and loaded so much into year 1, they can come in and get a cap friendly remainder of the deal and a WR at a good price.
  8. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,516 Messages
    1,322 Likes Received
    Austin is almost certainly cut. Guy went Hollywood on us and stopped working as hard to be ready for game days. Another of the "got paid and stopped trying" contingent.

The cap hits for releasing these guys are very real but so are the base salaries we remove by cutting them.

Miles is almost certainly gone. So is Free. We can't afford em and they aren't playing that well anyway.

Ratliff is interesting. He played at a very high level for about 3 games this year. He is owed guaranteed money in 2013. Will be tough to cut him and not save cap money. Better off keeping him around even as a non-starter if cap math is correct.

Re-structuring Witten, Carr and extending Romo are essential to getting under the cap. Signing Spencer long-term to a deal that is cap friendly up front is a must if we want to maximize talent in 2013.

We likely cut Dan Connor who has a 3 mil base and is a back up.

We can free up 25m easily with the moves above.
  9. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,516 Messages
    1,322 Likes Received
    Austin's contract isn't cap friendly and he can be cut.

He makes 6.7+m next year. Cutting him will save a lot of cap cash.
    The 5m cap penalty we pay was in lieu of eating a big signing bonus. We are essentially eating a SB penalty already for him. He can easily be cut and almost certainly will.

The Boys only owe about 5m in SB to him which can be split over 2 seasons. They can save over 4m by cutting him.
  10. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,829 Messages
    1,777 Likes Received
    So are the Austin, Free and Ratliff contracts tied for the worst in the team's history?
  11. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,528 Messages
    2,215 Likes Received
    I'm talking cap friendly for another team to come in and take him.

Also cap friendly for Dallas at this point if you don't count the 5M penalty.

He has 4.5M in guaranteed left and the cap tax. That's almost 10M.

The small base salary and minimal guaranteed amount makes it cap friendly. Any team can cut him whenever they want and have little money dead.......any team but Dallas this offseason because they do have the 5M in penalty money that is on the books.

Another team won't have that dead money and simply have a cap hit of 8M for a guy who can play up to that level. If he does, they get a good WR for 4 years at a good price when you consider what a comparable player would cost on the open market. If he doesn't, they cut him and don't have to worry about the cap ramifications.

That's cap friendly by my definition.
  12. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

50,324 Messages
    4,470 Likes Received
    Not at all.
  13. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,206 Messages
    123 Likes Received

....and you can't forget the Roy Williams debacle. I'll say this right now: if we cut Austin the skins will swoop in and sign him in 5 seconds: they need another WR....meh....I still say cut him:bang2:
  14. Mr Cowboy

Mr Cowboy Well-Known Member

8,586 Messages
    836 Likes Received

Only in Dallas can it not be possible. The Colts were the worse team in football and in one off season, they are playoff bound. If we can't fill the holes this off season, it will never happen. Stop with the Jerry company line that it takes time. It can absolutely be done, the Colts proved it and other teams have done it as well.
  15. cowboyschmps3

cowboyschmps3 Well-Known Member

2,675 Messages
    170 Likes Received
    If he stays here he can't be our nose tackle that's for sure, that's why he went through so much injury, we need too move him too end
  16. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,080 Messages
    460 Likes Received
    Miles Austin can't stay on the field...
  17. dmq

dmq If I'm so pretty, why am I available?

6,838 Messages
    212 Likes Received
    We are a team that lacks talent and we are cutting key players. You have 1 more year JG. You better be right w/ Jerry on this one.
  18. Vanilla2

Vanilla2 Well-Known Member

1,475 Messages
    645 Likes Received
    IMO Austin returns.

And Ratliff could be a TC cut if they can find someone they trust for the d line rotation.

Bret really screwed up an opportunity of a lifetime.

I just don't see this team spending what it takes to replace what Austin brings to the table (in theory).
  19. DuceizBak

DuceizBak Active Member

424 Messages
    99 Likes Received
    Keep austin!
  20. Disturbed

Disturbed A Mere Flesh Wound

1,448 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    No player should be safe from being cut. Every position should be critically analyzed and graded for their performance this year. No excuses should be made or given.

The bottom 25% should be gone and replaced via draft, etc...every year. And players who can not stay healthy are of little to no value in this league. Not enough open positions to carry an injury prone squad who will not perform for big portions of the year.

Austin is old and injury prone, goodbye.