1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Cowboys CBs have been told to prepare for 16 weeks of being as physical as you can

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by dmq, Mar 6, 2013.

1. dmq

dmq If I'm so pretty, why am I available?

6,813 Messages
    184 Likes Received
    Dallas Cowboys Blog Brandon Carr: Cowboys CBs have been told to prepare for ’16 weeks of being as physical as you can be
    By Jon Machota
    3:37 pm on March 5, 2013

Dallas Cowboys cornerback Brandon Carr says Morris Claiborne “held his own” during his rookie season. Claiborne was the No. 1 defensive player on the Cowboys’ draft board. The franchise showed their commitment by trading up and drafting the cornerback with the sixth overall selection.

But Claiborne, who finished with one interception, eight passes defended and 55 tackles, didn’t experience a smooth transition from college to the pros. He missed all of rookie mini-camp, organized team activities and mini-camp because of a surgically repaired left wrist. The LSU standout then missed some of training camp with a left knee injury and one regular season game with a concussion.

Carr, a five-year veteran, talked on Friday about how much Claiborne can improve in his second year with a full offseason under his belt.

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2013/03/cowboys-cbs-have-been-told-to-prepare-for-16-weeks-of-being-as-physical-as-you-can-be.html/
  2. jblaze2004

jblaze2004 Well-Known Member

8,311 Messages
    280 Likes Received
    claiborne needs to work on his tackling and getting off blocks. Hopefully he stays healthy this offseason so he can get in the weight room and work on his technique. Other than that claiborne has been pretty good. He could have 3 picks if it wasn't for offensive pass interferances. One vs B-more were torrey smith pushed him to the ground and then caught the ball for 6, no flag :bang2: and he had another offensive pass interference that caused him not to get the pick.
  3. Wood

Wood Well-Known Member

4,285 Messages
    356 Likes Received
    the biggest issue I saw with Mo was his confidence. He is way too high of draft pick not to have supreme confidence in his skill set. He needs to play with edge if he is going to justify his draft position. I get sense he will be much better this year.
  4. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

3,990 Messages
    435 Likes Received
    Claiborne will have to add 10 lbs of muscle and get stronger.
  5. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,125 Messages
    1,870 Likes Received
    Playing well with or without edge is good enough for me.

I think he's a very smart player. I mentioned before but the way he angles WRs off their routes is beautiful. Pretty sure he carried a guy OB in the Chicago game. Completely OB but because he's also looking to make a play on the ball he's getting away with a lot. I love it.
  6. kmp77

kmp77 Active Member

5,945 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Hopefully the offseason and some weight training will make year 2 memorable. I don't expect rookies to be amazing but I did expect a little more. Some real NFL safeties might help Mo too.
  7. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,174 Messages
    717 Likes Received
    That shouldn't be an issue -- he couldn't weight train b/c of his wrist surgery. He was skinny but certainly a willing and often effective tackler
  8. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

3,990 Messages
    435 Likes Received
    Agreed, I think he'll be much improved as far as strength is concerned.