1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Recommended Cowboys cuts and Roster Moves - Ratliff to PUP, Cook, Crawford to IR

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by unionjack8, Aug 27, 2013.

1. sbark

sbark Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,786 Messages
    278 Likes Received
    Could be viewed as Tanney's 1st "playoff game".......to see how he reponds with the chaos of 2nd and 3rd stringers surrounding him will tell a lot.
    I hope he shines, there is something about the kid. He may have to show the wheels I've heard say he has a few times.
  2. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

11,207 Messages
    2,802 Likes Received
    So if he wins, we can consider Tanney to be 1-0 in 'win or go home' games?
    dogberry, nake, nickjamesw43 and 3 others like this.
  3. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

39,115 Messages
    4,583 Likes Received
    No, it does make a difference and is the primary reason to not expose him to waivers at all. Which is why some have said he will make the roster. That's very important for several reasons. One is to keep a potential eventual starting QB on the roster and the other major reason is the ripple effect thru the roster that it will cause. If you knew you could put him on the PS, then you could still develop the guy as long as he wanted to stay here up to the point he loses his PS eligibility. You can't waive him and expect to keep him so you have to waive another. And that might be an OL, DL, yada you'd like to develop as well. So it makes a big difference you can't just put him on the PS.
  4. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

39,115 Messages
    4,583 Likes Received
    I doubt that but it's possible they see enough in him to keep him on the PS. Chances are he'll either be picked up by another team which I doubt as well or he goes to another PS team he has a better chance in the long run of being the guy.
  5. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,998 Messages
    7,746 Likes Received
    Nope, it's a common practice if a team thinks they've got a hot commodity at a position they normally wouldn't dedicate a roster spot to. They play them in practice, but not in preseason games. They can still get poached by a good scouting report, but at that point, you're comparing a report to dozens of other reports you get from teams across the league. It's not the same thing as seeing a guy go 12-for-12 throwing to scrubs who can't get separation during garbage time.
  6. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,998 Messages
    7,746 Likes Received
    Yeah, teams will also release guys they want to get on the PS in the early cuts, to make it seem like they're not as high on them as they are on other players they're considering. When teams are struggling with their own cutdowns, they're not necessarily in talent acquisition mode. Once you get your roster set, though, you start your proscouts looking at other teams' PSs to see if you can't upgrade the bottom of your roster anywhere. If you think the guy can play, you keep him where you can develop him so you don't get Danny-Amendola'd.
  7. sbark

sbark Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,786 Messages
    278 Likes Received
    .....I'd look at it more like a play-in game, show well-make the 53, play weak---ps and keep a position of pressing need at this time.
  8. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,436 Messages
    1,033 Likes Received
    The "Jets" will be on the first plane to Dallas to pick this kid up. He's more exciting IMO then Sancheese or what Smith has shown.
  9. Teague31

Teague31 Defender of the Star

6,390 Messages
    646 Likes Received
    Or buffalo, or Oakland, or jax. There are some teams seriously hurting at QB.
    fifaguy likes this.
  10. cowboys2233

cowboys2233 Well-Known Member

4,417 Messages
    778 Likes Received
    Really? Seems odd to me. How can a guy, typically a late rounder or an undrafted guy, show so much in practice that they don't even play him in a preseason game? Wouldn't they want to see him in real game situations? How can they possibly make any kind of real evaluation of his playing ability without actually seeing him play? And if he's so good, why don't they just keep him on the 53?
  11. KevinU

KevinU Active Member

353 Messages
    47 Likes Received
    Agreed, he has showed promise with a short window. His current price tag makes him the ideal project.
  12. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

7,129 Messages
    1,149 Likes Received
    What happens if Tanney gets hurt?
  13. nake

nake Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

4,599 Messages
    1,022 Likes Received
    Dwayne Harris was an all state QB in high school.
  14. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    No suprises.
  15. funkytown

funkytown Well-Known Member

1,023 Messages
    54 Likes Received
    I'd like for them to keep Tanney, but not sure there is room. This team has so many injuries, hard to justify keeping 3 QB's.
  16. DezBRomo9

DezBRomo9 Not enough blitzing.. Zone Supporter

1,638 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    I'd rather keep Tanney on the 53 and try to move him or Orton for a pick next year to one of the needy teams or ones drafting someone high next year.
  17. nake

nake Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

4,599 Messages
    1,022 Likes Received
    Here's a little love for Micah Pellerin. I hope he manages to squeeze into the 53 or the practice squad somehow.
  18. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,649 Messages
    5,560 Likes Received
    Depends on if he makes the final 53.
  19. texbumthelife

texbumthelife Well-Known Member

3,487 Messages
    813 Likes Received
    What is the hit for cutting Orton? Don't go off the deep end. Just wondering.
  20. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

12,103 Messages
    1,269 Likes Received
    Not surprised at all by Stephens getting cut he hasn't seen any action the past 2 games the writing was on the wall. It's clear the Cowboys like Tanney better.