1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Cowboys Franchise Sack Leaders

Discussion in 'History Zone' started by Mavs Man, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Mavs Man

Mavs Man All outta bubble gum

4,668 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    SACKS
    1. 113, Harvey Martin
    2. 111, Randy White
    3. 105 *, Ed "Too Tall" Jones
    4. 97, George Andrie
    5. 95.5, Jethro Pugh
    6. 94.5, Jim Jeffcoat
    7. 94, "Mr. Cowboy" Bob Lilly
    8. 69, Greg Ellis
    9. 60, Larry Cole
    10. 59, Tony Tolbert

* I have also seen this listed as 106.

I feel very confident about the top 10; however, sacks were not kept as an official statistic by the NFL until after 1981, so it is very difficult to find numbers prior to that time. I will also list rankings from 11-20 below, but be advised that there are many Cowboys from 1960-1981 whom I have no numbers on and would probably would fall into that range.

If you have or come across any data that would add to this list, please let me know.

11. 34, Charles Haley
    12. 33.5, DeMarcus Ware
    13. 27.5, Chad Hennings
    14. 26.5, Chuck Howley
    15. 22.5, Leon Lett
    16. 21.5, La'Roi Glover
    17. 19, Jimmie Jones
    18T. 18, John Dutton
    18T. 18, Bill Bates
    20. 16, Eugene Lockhart
  2. Cowboy Junkie

Cowboy Junkie leonargized

2,512 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Ware will be number one on this list before all is said and done
  3. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,237 Messages
    1,174 Likes Received
    Too Tall could have been #1 if he did not take a year off to pursue boxing. One of his prime years at that.
  4. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Lost in the Woods

4,483 Messages
    150 Likes Received
    Wow, look at Greg Ellis, our controversial draft pick and off-season whiner. Way to go, Greg.
  5. Juke99

Juke99 ...Abbey someone

22,271 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    George Andrie...one of the more underrated guys in the history of this team.
  6. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

23,342 Messages
    960 Likes Received
    Hey this is a cool list. Yeah Ware is well on his way to being number one on that list by the time he's done.

Greg is one of my favorite players ever (Depsite his worrying and whinning) and he's had an even better career than I realized he's had.
  7. apbaball

apbaball New Member

3 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Hi,I've been trying to hunt down individual players sacks from the 60s and 70s. Do you know any sources out there? Some teams like the Dolphins and Broncos actually list unofficial sack stats for every player for each season on their team webpage. Other teams have them in their media guide. I tried to order a Cowboy media to see if they had them, but they were sold out. Thanks,Karl
  8. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

23,342 Messages
    960 Likes Received
    I've never been able to secure a place that showed these but, then again, I've never worked all that hard at it. Post the link up here if anyone gets you with the information. I'm curious about that as well.
  9. apbaball

apbaball New Member

3 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I received the Cowboys media guide in the mail this past week and they do list the yearly sack leaders. They also list the amount of sacks Randy White recorded each season. If they have that information, I wonder if they have how many sacks every player had each season. I'm definitely curious about 1971 as the Lilly era. Pugh, Andrie Cole and Lilly all were good pass rushers.
  10. jem88

jem88 Active Member

2,698 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Incredible that the top three all played together. I'd be curious to know how many other franchises had 3 100+ sack artists playing together.
  11. Mavs Man

Mavs Man All outta bubble gum

4,668 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    DeMarcus Ware passed Charles Haley yesterday for 11th place all-time on the Cowboys franchise sack list.
  12. Chief

Chief "Friggin Joke Monkey"

8,541 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Agreed. A charter member of Doomsday.