1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Cowboys LB Anthony Spencer continues hot play with 1.5 sacks in win over Pittsburgh

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by MissouriCowboy, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,905 Likes Received
    Not sure it has been a long time since I was there.
  2. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,336 Messages
    236 Likes Received
    He was franchised and doesn't make $10M+ a year now. He makes around $8.8M
  3. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,905 Likes Received
    Ware pretty much played with 1 arm yesterday, he is banged up right now.
  4. Sam I Am

31,336 Messages
    236 Likes Received
    I know. Though, that injury came last week. His cooling off has been over several weeks.
  5. RXP

RXP Well-Known Member

3,071 Messages
    1,267 Likes Received
    It's going to be a tough call. Spencer has become an excellent pressure player to complement Ware. Those type of guys are very hard to find. There is no guarantee that replacing Spencer with a draft pick or signing somebosy else can do what Spencer can do.

Age is an issue. But he does have 3-4 productive years left.

I prefer Spencer stays, but the contract has to work. He counts almost $9M this year. If we can sign him long term that can count $7M-$8M a year for 3-4 years, it is doable.

I don't know if that can be enough to keep him. He can get big money elsewhere. It will depend on if he wants to remain a Cowboy or not.
  6. RXP

RXP Well-Known Member

3,071 Messages
    1,267 Likes Received
    You can tell Ware is really beat up. It is showing up in his play. Good for him for gutting it out.
  7. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

6,153 Messages
    1,930 Likes Received
    $7m/year is what Ahmad Brooks got LAST YEAR from the 49ers -- and Ahmad Brooks has never had a year like Spencer is having this year.

You can forget $7-8m. Its a pipedream.
  8. JackWagon

JackWagon Well-Known Member

1,394 Messages
    114 Likes Received
    So lets go ahead and pay the dude for 1 year ... like austin. Woot ... great plan *facepalm*
  9. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

5,186 Messages
    345 Likes Received
    do i sense a shift in thinking :)
  10. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,998 Messages
    7,746 Likes Received
    Dude. You've been wrong in the past, and had the team extended him when it was more cost effective to do so, none of this would be an issue. He's been an impact player on our defense for years. As I pointed out repeatedly the last two offseasons. He's frequently mentioned by opposing DCs and players for a reason. The team franchised him for a reason: he's a very good player.

There's no way you let your defensive MVP walk after this season. They'll get a long-term deal done--at a premium, now--or they'll franchise him again. Whoever signs him has to be mindful of the age implications, anyway, and Dallas is resourceful about paying their own when it's warranted--sometimes too resourceful.

This is a deal we should have bit the bullet and extended two years ago.
  11. Crown Royal

Crown Royal Insulin Beware

10,965 Messages
    1,277 Likes Received
    To me, what happens with Austin and Romo highly influences what happens with Spencer. If I remember correctly, these guys have a big cap hit next year. If Romo gets and extension and we either restructure, release or extend Austin, cap room should become much clearer.

I don't think we will otherwise be extremely active in free agency unless some quality OL, DL or safeties come up. We might target some depth. So how much does the cap really effect Spencer resigning, even if it is to an expensive contract?
  12. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,859 Messages
    1,704 Likes Received
    Neck stingers have really been a problem for him this season. And his hammy is still touchy.
  13. burmafrd

41,859 Messages
    1,704 Likes Received
    ignoring the FACT that he was not playing this well last year OR the year before. Only Jerruh would do that kind of deal.
  14. burmafrd

41,859 Messages
    1,704 Likes Received
    Yeah he is probably going to get $10 mill or close to it a year NOW from someone. He is not worth that to us.
  15. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,998 Messages
    7,746 Likes Received
    This fantasy you have in your head about Anthony Spencer's level of play I find more and more quaint with each passing week, I hope you know. It's gotten to the point that you've literally given up any and all pretense of supporting your own argument in the hope that nobody notices, but we've all noticed.

Meanwhile, out of random curiosity, which player do you have as our defensive MVP at this point in the season? Is it Ware, maybe? Brandon Carr? I noticed Marcus Spears got a sack on Decastro yesterday, and we all know what an accomplishment *that* is. Perhaps he gets some consideration? :D
  16. Sam I Am

31,336 Messages
    236 Likes Received
    Rub some dirt on it!
  17. jimnabby

jimnabby Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

4,198 Messages
    948 Likes Received
    Contract length matters more than dollars. You pay a premium to get a guy for fewer years, but it's worth it not to have the long-term obligation. So yeah, the franchise tag is more expensive, but there's no money on the books after that year. I'd much rather pay Spencer $10M for one year than commit, say, $8M a year for five.
  18. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    I've been pleased with him since we drafted him. He just plays 100% to his ability. He has very good ability and a great motor. I love our OLBs and our MLB depth is just sick.
  19. RastaRocket

RastaRocket Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.

5,977 Messages
    473 Likes Received
    I agree, except I think it's an unethical way to conduct business if you are going to franchise a guy two years in a row. It sends a bad message to other players around the league who may want to play in Dallas. If we are going to franchise him a second year, I say trade him so he can get the long term deal he deserves.
  20. PullMyFinger

PullMyFinger Old Fashioned

3,395 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Hes been soft for several years, he would rather dance through a valley of honeysuckles with an opponent then take their heads off. I mean Im sure that there have been a lot of nice defensemen over the years when they were OFF the field, but they were nasty baby-eaters on the field, and that kind of attitude is what Ware lacks