1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Cowboys name TE's coach and assistant OL coach....

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Risen Star, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,466 Messages
    400 Likes Received
    Smash combos were designed to be zone coverage (though it's not like it's a bad route combinations vs man). Forces the CB to make a decision. If he drops back to the corner, you hit the curl. If he stays tight on the curl, you throw the corner. If the corner comes up on the curl and the safety overplays the outside taking away the corner, you need to have a TE or RB out of the backfield hitting the seam.
  2. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

5,189 Messages
    552 Likes Received
    Houck was a prime example. He did a great job with Tyron. He done well with the talent he had. I was not a fan of Callahan before he came to Dallas. I sure don't think he is the saviour that he was made out to be. Tyron has regressed, even Free is worse under Callahan. I am not a fan.
  3. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

4,821 Messages
    74 Likes Received
    You would want the TE running a post in order to put the safety in conflict to decide to cover the post or the corner.

Either way it's a good combination to beat a 2 man-under defense.
  4. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

5,189 Messages
    552 Likes Received
    Callahan escaped from the Jets as the line fell apart. They had a couple good years and the wheels came off. Woody is one of the few that I know that cared for Callahan. The Rsiders certainly didn't like him and he wasn't that well liked at Nebraska IIRC.
  5. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

5,189 Messages
    552 Likes Received
    Nutt had a bad interview was the last thing that I read.
  6. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,466 Messages
    400 Likes Received
    Not necesarrily, cuz then you might just run the TE/RB into the other safety. If you run him down the seam you either pull the play side safety away from the corner route, or that safety stays on the corner forcing the backside safety to come all the way over. A post would work if the ball is thrown on time, a seam is better cuz it puts more pressure on the playside safety but at the same time there's less of a chance of the backside safety being able to get over and help.

Of course if you're facing a tampa 2 with a good MLB he'd be able to take away the seam and post anyway (or at least give a smaller window for the QB to throw into).
  7. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

4,821 Messages
    74 Likes Received

We could go back and forth all day, in the end though the point is to beat the man in front of you.