1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Cowboys officially part with Hutchinson

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by yesfan, Jul 27, 2004.

1. yesfan

yesfan Active Member

1,292 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    03:53 PM CDT on Tuesday, July 27, 2004

By TODD ARCHER / The Dallas Morning News

The Cowboys ended Chad Hutchinson's tenure with the team by waiving the quarterback Tuesday afternoon.

The team informed Hutchinson's agent, Scott Boras, of its intentions last week, but were hoping to make a last-second trade. By waiving Hutchinson, the Cowboys will take a hit of roughly $900,000 against the salary cap this year and $1.5 million next year. If a team claims Hutchinson, then the team would take a $2.4 million hit.

Hutchinson expressed anger late last week that the team waited so long to make a move that he felt was coming back in March. With training camps about to start, Hutchinson might have a difficult time finding a job.

Sam Francisco and Chicago made inquiries to the Cowboys regarding Hutchinson.

"I will persevere through this," Hutchinson said last week. "I will become the quarterback I can become. It's unfortunate it's not going to be for the Dallas Cowboys but for someone else. I will guarantee the Cowboys will regret doing this."

His future in Dallas was sealed when the team traded for Drew Henson, who, like Hutchinson, gave up a professional baseball career, and signed veteran Vinny Testaverde.

Hutchinson threw only two passes in the regular season last year after coach Bill Parcells chose Quincy Carter to be the Cowboys' starter. In nine starts in 2002, he threw for 1,555 yards with seven touchdowns and eight interceptions. He was also sacked 34 times.

The Cowboys sent Hutchinson to NFL Europe this spring, where he played for the Rhein Fire and completed 126-of-207 passes for 1,356 yards. He had five touchdowns, four interceptions and was sacked 25 times.

E-mail tarcher@dallasnews.com
  2. Jimz31

Jimz31 The Sarcastic One

14,232 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    So much for a trade, huh?
  3. BrownSugar

BrownSugar One Classy Lady

793 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Looks like it huh? ;)
  4. BlueStar II

BlueStar II New Member

1,813 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Too bad we couldn't have gotten something for Hutchinson. Although I wasn't expecting anything for him, but when I read about a possible trade, even for a late rounder, I was hoping that we'd get a little something in return...oh well. Hutchinson's parting comment was that he would "guarantee" that Dallas will regret this. I think he better start worrying more about making it, and sticking on some team's roster...before he goes and makes any kind of guarantee that we will regret his release.
  5. Jimz31

Jimz31 The Sarcastic One

14,232 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    The first "savior" has come and gone. :D :rolleyes:
  6. Maikeru-sama

Maikeru-sama Mick Green 58

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Seriously, if you would have told me this time last year that Hutch would be out and Carter would be heading into the 2004 season as the projected starter, I would have said you were crazy.

Last year, most of the radio and tv news guys were saying that Carter's release was inevitable.

So long Chutch!!!

- Mike G.
  7. DallasCowpoke111

DallasCowpoke111 Benched

2,242 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    DAMN those guys at ESPN!!! :insertsarcasmiconhere:
  8. BlueWave

BlueWave New Member

1,069 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    How fast things turn around. In four weeks, Carter could be on his way out. Parcells likes "his QB's", not those of the former regime. It will be interesting. Testaverde is old, but no slouch. Playing half the season last year in NY, he posted a 90 QB Rating compared to Carter's 74. This is going to be interesting.
  9. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

20,325 Messages
    712 Likes Received
    I can't get excited about Vinny. I hope he is a good mentor, but I just don't think he brings much as a starter. I am not saying Carter does either, but Vinny 's QB rating over the last 4 years is 75. Nothing special.
  10. p1_

p1_ New Member

658 Messages
    0 Likes Received

It ain't no value thar. He ain't werf a shat. Dig my slang. :)
  11. SALADIN

SALADIN Jumper

1,787 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Anyone still think the 49'ers brass KNEW that some other team would claim him off of waivers before they could get this diamond in the ruff?

Somebody send Mick a HallMark E-card. Sounds like he's getting pretty choked up making excuses for him in his ranch report.

[IMG]
  12. SALADIN

SALADIN Jumper

1,787 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    As long as Quincy is the QB there will alwas be another one. Always, no matter what he does.
  13. BlueWave

BlueWave New Member

1,069 Messages
    0 Likes Received

...no matter how many interceptions he throws. No matter how many times the Fullback leads the team in catches.......................... :rolleyes:
  14. Bluefin

Bluefin Well-Known Member

2,973 Messages
    93 Likes Received
    The fullback leading the team in receptions is funny.

First, Carter can't throw short passes.

When it's pointed out that Anderson led the team in receptions and Jason Witten was a primary target at the end of the season, the arguement changes.

Carter then gets blamed for dumping the ball off instead of throwing to the receivers.

Tough crowd.
  15. LaTunaNostra

LaTunaNostra He Made the Difference

14,987 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yeah but BF, dumping off doesn't qualify as a short pass. :D
  16. Jimz31

Jimz31 The Sarcastic One

14,232 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    As long as Quincy is still on the team, there will be some other fan saying that Carter will be cut.....

Bluewave is even saying it in this thread. :rolleyes:

Sure, he'll be cut or waved SOMETIME....just like everybody else....or he can retire. But I don't see it happening this year.
  17. BlueWave

BlueWave New Member

1,069 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Interesting enough, Mortenson said today that the job was wide open for competition and then listed the four QB's stressing to remember the name Tony Romo. Now, I don't think Romo will win it, but there is no secret that Parcells loves Romo and feels he has a great deal of potential. That being said, I just cannot see him risking Romo on the practice squad, he would be claimed by someone. So someone has to go. Carter, Testeverde, Henson, or Romo.

Let's take Henson out of the equation. So either Testeverde, Romo, or Carter must go. I don't see Testeverde released. He was brought in to mentor Henson and play if he shows the best in camp. Vinny is the only real experienced veteran QB and he knows the system already. That would leave Carter and Romo. If Carter makes the team, Romo will either have to be cut, added to the practice squad, or we keep four QB's, which I cannot see us doing. My guess is, Romo would be cut. But, who is more of a threat to the developement of Henson, Romo or Carter?

In short, I think if Testaverde outperforms Carter in camp, there is a good chance Carter will be moved. If he's not the present, we know he is not the future, what does he serve other than a distraction? It's not a stretch.
  18. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,278 Messages
    207 Likes Received
    I am as critical of QC as anyone, but I don't see him being cut and, barring a TC meltdown, I expect him to start.

In fact, I will go as far as to say I expect to him to play out his contract in Dallas.
  19. Rude

Rude New Member

703 Messages
    0 Likes Received

So you believe Parcells would pick Romo, a person that has never thrown a pass in a NFL game over last years starter????

Keep dreaming
  20. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,278 Messages
    207 Likes Received
    And I am sticking with my Romo on the practice squad theory. He was an UDFA with one game of preseason experience. I doubt teams will be stumbling over each other to put him on their active roster.