1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Cowboys Picks...#18, #53, #92,#125,#138,#182,#211,#224

Discussion in 'Draft Day Zone' started by Hostile, Apr 18, 2006.

1. Chief

Chief "Friggin Joke Monkey"

8,541 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Obviously, he knows how to pass block.

The guy has some ability and could develop into something down the road.

The Tech guy who got drafted last year (Dylan Gandy) played well for Indy.

Do I get credit for mentioning him about an hour ago?
  2. Teague31

Teague31 Defender of the Star

6,385 Messages
    645 Likes Received
    .J. Whitley Grade: 3.21
    Position: T
    Class: 5Sr
    School: Texas Tech
    Conference: Big Twelve
    Ht., Wt.: 6-5, 309
    40 Time: 5.39
    Selected by: Dallas Cowboys
    Round 7, pick 16 (224 overall) Grading System

BIO: Full-time starter the past three seasons and All-Conference choice after his sophomore and senior campaigns. Started at every position on the offensive line.

POSITIVES: Versatile offensive lineman who is best as a pass protector. Plays with good lean, quick with his hands and controls opponents once engaged at the point. Effectively uses angles, stays square and holds the point. Plays heads-up football and helps out teammates.

NEGATIVES: Lacks adjustment and gets tall as the play proceeds. Not aggressive as a run-blocker and does not finish.

ANALYSIS: A durable lineman who.s been a major asset for the Texas Tech passing offense, Whitley offers size and growth potential. Needs to take his play to the next level and do the extras to make an NFL roster.

PROJECTION: Undrafted Free Agent
  3. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

11,538 Messages
    698 Likes Received
    We've got five of those. OOOHHHH depth. I forgot. :mad:
  4. TonyS

TonyS Well-Known Member

1,424 Messages
    150 Likes Received
    Prospect Profiles

E.J. Whitley
    Height: 6-5
    Weight: 301
    40 Speed: 5.39*
    Position: Center
    College: Texas Tech
    Final Grade: F 5.3 OT

GM JR Scouting LLC Grading Scale/Key

SUMMARY
    Whitley was an interesting because he moved around so often and played left tackle, left guard and center. He has the size and natural strength to play any position on the offensive line, but his limited athleticism makes him best suited to succeed at center in the NFL. Has the foot quickness to get off the ball and set to block quickly, but he must use his hands more aggressively in pass protection. Needs to stay over his feet and under control on his run blocks. He is stiff and lacks the athleticism that is preferred in a starting offensive lineman, but he has the intelligence, instincts, competitiveness, size and natural strength to be a good backup lineman that can offer versatility. Someone with Whitley's versatility at all the positions along the line is tough to find. He will have a solid career as a backup lineman that does an adequate job when forced to spot start during his career, but it is without question he is much better suited to be a backup.

STRONG POINTS
    Whitley is a smart and alert lineman who consistently works well with other linemen to adjust to stunts and loops. Has good natural strength, and when he is aggressive with punch in pass protection, can lock up, hold ground and eliminate his man from the play. Can slide side to side well in a small area. He is a highly competitive run blocker that gets off the ball quickly and aggressively, and can seal the defensive lineman out of the play. His size, toughness and competitiveness helps him to eliminate his man on downside blocks. Has surprisingy quick feet to get through the line of scrimmage to seal block the linebackers on the second level.

WEAKNESSES
    Whitley is a versatile lineman who is limited by his lack of athleticism. He is a straight-line athlete that is stiff in the hips and lacks the agility to adjust and block well out in space. Because of his stiffness he tends to bend at the waist on in-line run blocks and it leads to him leaning, overextending and falling off his blocks. While he has good natural strength, Whitley's inability to block with leverage limits his strenth as a run blocker and he can't get movement on straight-ahead run blocks. When he does not get his hands on the defensive linemen first, they can get into his chest and jolt him backward into the pocket.
  5. NickZepp

NickZepp Well-Known Member

2,681 Messages
    172 Likes Received
    I like this draft. No real big names but solid all around and they add to some depth in day 2.
  6. Chuck 54

Chuck 54 Well-Known Member

9,464 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    He's been starting for 3 years, but at OT all last year.

He's said to be a very good pass protector, and he can play OT, OG, and C, which will enable him to become a valuable backup.

Needs to improve his strength, only did 16 reps....wow....after the WRs *****-slap him, he'll get into the weight room.
  7. iceberg

iceberg detoxed...part 2 Zone Supporter

28,346 Messages
    1,365 Likes Received
    so we get a supersleeper and a valuable backup...
  8. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,639 Messages
    3,156 Likes Received
    I like the pick. A good developmental prospect who knows how to pass block.
  9. CaptainAmerica

CaptainAmerica Active Member

5,016 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    On the Ticket he sounds like a very confident guy. Has played all the positions. Said he thinks he proved at the East West Shrine Game he can play the pro-style game.

He had a good feeling about the Cowboys. He's been a Cowboys fan his whole life. Said his family is pumped. Sounds like a great kid. Very confident in his abilities.
  10. JackMagist

JackMagist The Great Communicator

5,726 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Well this was a good pick; he is a naturally big and versitile player but at 301 he is a little light. We will have to get him into the weight room to bulk up and improve his strength but he has the frame to hold the bulk.
  11. MinnesotaCowboy

MinnesotaCowboy Member

629 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    Stay cool guys and gals................afterall he is a 7th rounder!:D I,myself, think we had a very good draft! I like the way they picked BPA. Only time will tell. :bow: :bow: :bow:
  12. jazzcat22

jazzcat22 Well-Known Member

9,808 Messages
    1,819 Likes Received
    Could he compete with Johnson at C and Gurode become full time G.
  13. iceberg

iceberg detoxed...part 2 Zone Supporter

28,346 Messages
    1,365 Likes Received
    probably. but that should tell you how bad we are in as much as how good he could be.
  14. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

9,159 Messages
    503 Likes Received
    Can we trade these two 7th rounders for the top pick in next year's draft like in Madden football?

I'll even add in Dexter Coakley.

Ok, last two picks were Ho-Hum. But you never know. If they can develop, then perhaps we'll have some nice depth along the OL for the next few years.
  15. JackMagist

JackMagist The Great Communicator

5,726 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I don't think Whitley will be ready for the Pros until next year or the year after that but he is a great pick to groom for the future.
  16. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,623 Messages
    411 Likes Received
    You don't find many of those types in the sixth round.
  17. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I've been reading up on this guy for some time, and he was targeted anywhere from the 3rd round to the 6th round, depending on which analysis/mock.

I LOVE this pick, and not just because I've drank a bottle of wine.

He can rotate with Fergy for the first year or two until he gets his technique down, etc.

GREAT pick this late in the draft.
  18. DezBRomo9

DezBRomo9 Not enough blitzing.. Zone Supporter

1,637 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    Skyler Green 4th round pick=? Steve Smith 3rd round pick???????

I hope so.
  19. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,258 Messages
    4,578 Likes Received

That has the Jerry and Bill phone call, but the one that is funny is the one where he is talking to the guys on the Ticket.

Hopefully they will have it.
  20. packpitts

packpitts Member

90 Messages
    13 Likes Received