1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Cowboys Sign TCU RB Ed Wesley

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by dgr81, Jul 26, 2012.

1. dgr81

dgr81 Member

439 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    @CBSSportsNFLDAL
    Cowboys cut RB Darrell Scott who got injured Wednesday. He's been replaced by former TCU RB Ed Wesley, who was in the supplemental draft
  2. Wulfman

Wulfman Unofficial GM

1,300 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    Well, it was inevitable. Sooner or later, my first roster projection was going to be proven wrong, and I had Scott making the practice squad. ;)
  3. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

14,581 Messages
    6,446 Likes Received
    Ed Wesley
    Height: 5083
    Weight: 196
    40 Yrd Dash: 4.67
    20 Yrd Dash: 2.74
    10 Yrd Dash: 1.67
    225 Lb. Bench Reps: 19
    Vertical Jump: 35
    Broad Jump: 09'06"
    20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.17
    3-Cone Drill: 6.93

The odds are against a 5-8 RB that runs a 4.67 forty, but they need somebody to take the reps.
  4. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Winter is Here Staff Member

61,702 Messages
    5,083 Likes Received
    I thought they would like D.Scott as a nice short yardage or goal line guy. Guess not. Although I could be remembering wrong I do think I read something at one time that questioned his work ethic and desire...once again could be wrong on that.
  5. Fla Cowpoke

Fla Cowpoke Well-Known Member

2,712 Messages
    607 Likes Received
    I expected another RB in camp but didn't expect one to be cut.
  6. cowboyschmps3

cowboyschmps3 Well-Known Member

2,900 Messages
    215 Likes Received
    He certainly plays faster than a 4.6, I don't think he's the last rb we sign in camp if we don't sign a veteran rb I think we can get a veteran receiver, we'll see.
  7. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

10,742 Messages
    6,358 Likes Received
    UT fans are not surprised by this news.
  8. jblaze2004

jblaze2004 Well-Known Member

9,040 Messages
    554 Likes Received
    Why???
  9. Fla Cowpoke

2,712 Messages
    607 Likes Received
    Sounds like Wesley got signed and was on the field for practice this morning...that has to be tough being the only guy who knows nothing trying to get noticed.

Couple of tweets made it sound like he looked good though so that is encouraging.
  10. JonJon

JonJon Injured Reserve

11,035 Messages
    237 Likes Received
    He said he was out of shape when he ran that, which can be a good thing or bad thing depending on how you look at it. Speed is not the end all be all for RBs though. Emmitt wasn't all that fast (ran a 4.7 forty) and he seemed to turn out ok....

Plus I noticed in the few videos I have seen of him that he has excellent vision and good balance. Those things cannot be taught. He should be a great practice squad candidate that may turn into a real player eventually.
  11. Fla Cowpoke

2,712 Messages
    607 Likes Received
    Emmitt swears he ran in the mid 4.5's at his best....have seen that in numerous articles. Thing is, I think he ran the same in pads that he did without them, while a lot of guys lose .1 or more once they strap the pads. Emmitt certainly wasn't the slowest running back on the field...rarely got caught from behind.

Just like Jerry Rice and his 4.7 40 time.

If you watched Emmitt in college, it was obvious that he had the skills to translate to the NFL.
  12. Fla Cowpoke

2,712 Messages
    607 Likes Received
    Most every commentator I have seen said Wesley is a much better back than Scott so I am glad to see the move made.

Here is a snippet from CBS about his workout:

As you'll see, Wesley's workout wasn't nearly as poor as some have suggested.

Three Cone Drill: 6.91-6.93 seconds (4th among 28 backs at the 2012 Combine, notably faster than David Wilson -- 7.09 or Isaiah Pead -- 6.95)

Short Shuttle: 4.18-4.21 seconds (tied for 9th among 28 backs tested at 2012 Combine)

Long Shuttle: 11.68-11.73 seconds (would have ranked 6th among the nine who tested in this event at the Combine)

Bench Press: 19 repetitions of 225 pounds (tied for 11th)

Broad Jump: 9'6 (tied for 10th)

Vertical Jump: 34" (tied for 9th)

He not be a home run threat, but looks like he might fit a zone style blocking scheme which seems to be what we will be running with Callahan if the reports are to be believed.
  13. jblaze2004

jblaze2004 Well-Known Member

9,040 Messages
    554 Likes Received
    Guess who number these are yes. I know his size difference but still. You can't tell me this guy doesn't look faster than 4.69 speed. I think we need to look at playing speed, acceleration and especially vision when grading running backs. Also not to mention Dez bryant looks faster than a 4.5 guy.

Height: 6006
    Weight: 226
    40 Yrd Dash: 4.69
    20 Yrd Dash: 2.71
    10 Yrd Dash: 1.62 225 Lb. Bench Reps:
    Vertical Jump: 32
    Broad Jump: 09'07"
    20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.53
    3-Cone Drill: 7.09

Answer?
    Arian Foster