1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Cowboys to restructure Carr's Contract

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by mortboy, Feb 14, 2013.

1. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,600 Messages
    1,017 Likes Received
    Part of his 18 mill guaranteed -- only 10 mill in SB.

People say it is a bad deal -- but really we just added two years of commitment. After this year we save 1.5 mill to cut him - or we could keep him for 5.5 mill a year (if he performs well in 2013, that's a good deal for a quality DT). After that he's got silly salaries of 7, 7.5, and 10.5 mill. I doubt that when he signed the deal, he expected to see those years ... yet people scream about the size of the deal and length, totally ignoring that 3 years and 25 mill of it is total fantasy.
  2. Bowdown27

Bowdown27 Well-Known Member

2,660 Messages
    269 Likes Received
    Great news us cutting the cap down this quickly. Can't wait for the combine and free agency
  3. Reverend Conehead

Reverend Conehead Well-Known Member

1,058 Messages
    291 Likes Received
    I thought Free was already cut.
  4. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    We talking about Miles Austin?
  5. nake

nake Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

4,566 Messages
    998 Likes Received
    I really don't know much about this, but I'm sure Romo will get more than 20 mil guaranteed.
  6. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    We'll see. I was just throwing it out there. I'm sure he'll likely get more as well but not all of it is going to be signing bonus. They'll probably guarantee the first 2 years of his contract on top of the SB.
  7. Vinnie2u

Vinnie2u Well-Known Member

2,129 Messages
    435 Likes Received
    So now Romo is worth 20-25 mil a year. That's like 20% of the salary cap. We not talking Brady or Manning here folks.
  8. Boys122

Boys122 Well-Known Member

1,382 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    I was being sarcastic, but ok. I'll try harder next time, teach.
  9. Titleist

Titleist Well-Known Member

724 Messages
    328 Likes Received
    Yeah, that was my understanding as well. A little confused here.
  10. honyock

honyock Well-Known Member

1,401 Messages
    533 Likes Received
    Some of that guaranteed money will be spread out over the life of the new contract. I don't see a $20M per year deal coming. Romo's cap hit for 2013 should be well under $10M. The problem comes, as ABQCowboy pointed out, later in the contract. The cap hits in 2016 and 2017 (if he signs a 5 year deal), will be pretty high if we decide to part ways with him.
  11. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

23,906 Messages
    1,371 Likes Received
    Why? Does it personally hurt you if Adam is asked about something?
  12. Vinnie2u

Vinnie2u Well-Known Member

2,129 Messages
    435 Likes Received
    I get that but what I'm saying is that signing him long term continues the cycle of bad contracts. The bubble gonna burst. As far is tony is concerned I rather not restructure And bite the bulllet now. My opinion of course.
  13. AbeBeta

25,600 Messages
    1,017 Likes Received
    Rat.

The Austin deal is great - it is already at the point where he costs less to cut than keep. We owe like 4.5 or so in SB against the cap for him. We've got him for the next two years at little over 12 mill total. In that context, 6 mill a year is decent for a guy who was in the top 25 in receiving yards last year

Obviously you want more out of him, but what he's getting over the next few years isn't ridiculous.
  14. AbeBeta

25,600 Messages
    1,017 Likes Received
    20 mill guaranteed is not the same about 20-25 mill a year.
  15. jimmy40

jimmy40 Well-Known Member

15,203 Messages
    307 Likes Received
    I didn't realize you could restructure a deal so soon after signing one. Can you restructure a deal more than once?
  16. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,729 Messages
    691 Likes Received
    You're right about the history of bad contracts, but in this case, I'd say it's different. Romo is no Tom Brady, true, but he is very good, and replacing him won't be easy, unless we hit on a draft pick. He's worth a big contract simply because right now we don't have a viable replacement option. It's not like we have Aaron Rodgers waiting in the wings. Now, we need to find one in the next couple of years, but no guarantees. And if we don't, well, then we join the list of teams looking for their franchise QB. It's a tough call, but I say at this point you don't have much choice than to give him an extension.
  17. nake

nake Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

4,566 Messages
    998 Likes Received
    Well, the good news is Jerry needs to sign Romo to fix the cap problem for next season, and Romo will want to sign a contract to avoid getting franchised a time or two and then hit the open market at 34 or 35. I'm sure they will get a deal done.
  18. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,658 Messages
    5,813 Likes Received
    You can restructure every year.
  19. Wood

Wood Well-Known Member

4,754 Messages
    625 Likes Received
    expect big dead money cap hits on Ware and Witten down road.
  20. dogberry

dogberry Well-Known Member

2,436 Messages
    59 Likes Received
    When does the NFL get new tv contracts? Any guess on how big the increase will be?