1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Cowboys Trivia For You

Discussion in 'History Zone' started by Hostile, Mar 16, 2007.

1. DragonCowboy

DragonCowboy Well-Known Member

5,389 Messages
    117 Likes Received
    well..yes..

ok I don't think there's any way to reword this...

I heard that the Cowboys have made the NFC Champ game twice every decade of their existence. I'm starting to doubt my memory a bit now though.
  2. CoCo

CoCo Well-Known Member

5,514 Messages
    74 Likes Received
    Clint Longley was the Mad Bomber.
  3. lurkercowboy

lurkercowboy Active Member

4,028 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    White was the starting QB and punter in 1981, but not the holder. The holder was a defensive player.
  4. DragonCowboy

5,389 Messages
    117 Likes Received
    Was it Longley?

The guy who made that comeback against the Redskins on thanksgiving?
  5. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,196 Messages
    1,300 Likes Received
    Eddie LaBarron.
  6. DragonCowboy

5,389 Messages
    117 Likes Received
    OHHHHHHHHHH

the safety?

Waters?

I know he botched a hold against the Falcons in some playoff game early 80's, or some guy like him.
  7. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,387 Messages
    1,434 Likes Received
    Clint Longley
  8. CoCo

CoCo Well-Known Member

5,514 Messages
    74 Likes Received
    I believe QB Glenn Carano was left-handed.

Having a bit of trouble confirming this. In fact, found a picture of him with the USFL's Pittsburgh Maulers showing him right-handed. Ahhh the memory fades.
  9. TheProphet

TheProphet Benched

728 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Very good. I'll never forget him coming off the bench against a good Skins team, after Staubach got knocked out of the game, and absolutely torching them with a couple of back breaking bombs. A thing of beauty. :)
  10. TheProphet

TheProphet Benched

728 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Hostile called it correctly....Clint Longley. Eddie LaBarron?
  11. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

74,931 Messages
    1,543 Likes Received
    And then?
    Less than two years after that memorable day, Longley was traded to the San Diego Chargers after he landed a blindside punch on Staubach during training camp in Thousand Oaks, Calif.

The infamous "sucker punch," as most former Cowboys describe it, occurred two days after Longley and Staubach had fought over a derogatory remark Longley made about receiver Drew Pearson.
    Staubach eventually said he'd "knock those Bugs Bunny teeth" out of Longley's mouth, and Longley was up the challenge.

"They put me in charge of distracting [assistant coach] Dan Reeves so he wouldn't break up the fight," said former quarterback Danny White, who was in his first season with the team. "I started trying to make stuff up to talk to him about and then we looked back up the hill and Roger was just whaling on Clint."

Safety Charlie Waters was having lunch with Longley two days later when Longley told him he had figured out how to get traded.

"I asked him how," Waters said, "and he told me I'd find out that afternoon."

Waters knew how unpredictable Longley could be. The season before, Waters had agreed to let Longley keep his new pony on three acres of land he'd purchased near the team's practice facility.

"He pulls up in a 1957 Cadillac," said Waters, "and the horse's head was sticking out one of the back windows and its *** was hanging out the other side."

Hall of Fame defensive tackle Randy White, in his second year, said Staubach was trying to slip his shoulder pads over his head when Longley threw the punch that caused Staubach to crash into a nearby set of weight scales.

Defensive end Ed "Too Tall" Jones and linebacker D.D. Lewis restrained Staubach, who still has a scar above his left eyebrow.

"Clint looked like Donald Duck the way he was flopping around in Randy's arms," said Waters, who had rushed over from his locker. "Randy asked what we should do with Clint. When we decided to let him go, he sprinted back to the dorm. The whole thing was premeditated."

The headline in The Dallas Morning News on Aug. 14, 1976, read "Clint says he hates Roger" and the story quoted Longley saying, "If Roger wants me, I'll be in Dallas next week and he knows where he can find me. If he wants to go 15 rounds in Memorial Auditorium, he can even promote it."

Staubach, who recently said he's forgiven Longley, hasn't spoken to him since the altercation.

Of all the former Cowboys players interviewed for this story, offensive tackle Ralph Neeley was the only one who seemed to sympathize with Longley's role in the fight.

"He was in a no-win situation," Neeley said. "I don't believe that it was premeditated. I mean if the same thing happened between two offensive linemen, no one would've ever heard about it."
  12. ABQCOWBOY

34,196 Messages
    1,300 Likes Received
    I think Davis is the other one. XXXII and XXXIII.
  13. Hostile

118,387 Messages
    1,434 Likes Received
    Larry Cole
    Blaine Nye
    Pat Toomay

They were the original Zero Club.

As you described everyone was gone and they were left in the dorms with nothing to do. Toomay said "welcome to the Zero Club."

The Zero Club was proud of the fact they sought no fame. If someone wanted to join the Zero Club they were turned down by virtue of the fact the candidate wanted some kind of fame which was against the rules.

Larry Cole is the only member of the Zero Club to be suspended. He scored a Touchdown and got his name in the paper.
  14. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,074 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    in an interview w/ Skip Bayless, Nate Newton said he could whip everybody's arse on the '92 or '93 Cowboys, except for...?
  15. ABQCOWBOY

34,196 Messages
    1,300 Likes Received
    Yeah, he was our fist QB. Actually, I think it's spelled LeBaron so no surprise your wondering who I'm talking about. Longley was called the Mad Bomber but I thought that LeBaron was first. However, I could definatly be wrong there.
  16. needforspeed

needforspeed Legend in my spare time

667 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Wasn't Jerry Rhome an NFL HC?
  17. Hostile

118,387 Messages
    1,434 Likes Received
    One last thing on the Zero Club. Larry Cole scored his TD in 1971. He did not score another TD until 1981, his last in the NFL. A reporter asked him about that.

Larry Cole said, "I had an off decade."
  18. ZeroClub

ZeroClub just trying to get better

7,619 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Name the former Dallas Cowboy WR who is #3 on the all-time average gain per reception list.

Interestingly, 5 Cowboys (including the above) are on the top 30 all-time average per reception list.
  19. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,870 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    [IMG]
  20. Hostile

118,387 Messages
    1,434 Likes Received
    Lance Allworth.