1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Cowboys v Giants Analysis

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Galian Beast, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Galian Beast

Galian Beast Well-Known Member

9,226 Messages
    1,437 Likes Received
    In terms of whether or not we can make it to the playoffs; I would like to say that we have a real chance. We've been hurting ourselves in these games with turnovers and the such. I would say mostly the defense has played well, but we need improvement from our running game and more production from our wide receivers. I'd love to see Cole Beasley get mixed in there more often moving forward.

We started the season beating the Giants, then they beat us. SPLIT

We lost to Seattle and the Giants do not play them. Advantage Giants

We lost to the Bears and the Giants do not play them. Advantage Giants

We lost to Baltimore, and the Giants still have to play them. Lean Giants

We lost to Atlanta, and the Giants still have to play them. Lean Giants

The Giants lost to the Eagles, and we beat them. Advantage Cowboys

The Giants lost to the Steelers, and we still have to play them. Lean Cowboys

The Giants lost to the Bengals, and we still have to play them. Lean Cowboys

1 point for an advantage, .5 points for a lean.

I score that 3 - 2.

We are fortunate to have the Browns next, who the Giants also beat, but more importantly is that the Giants could lose their remaining 6 games on their schedule the way they are playing. I'd certainly say that we're still in it if we can play solid and sound football and certain players can step up.
  2. REDVOLUTION

REDVOLUTION Return to Dominance

25,285 Messages
    1,242 Likes Received
    Its such a wacky NFL lately(last 4-5 years)

We could argue that the Cowboys have had MORE talent than the Giants for the last 4-5 years and yet the Giants have 2 SB wins.

When it comes down to it, the Giants are a really BAD team, have been for years. They just seem to get it down when they need to.

One of the worst, yet BEST/LUCKIEST team in terms of CLUTCH teams in the NFL.
  3. HoosierCowboy

HoosierCowboy Put Pearson in the HOF

2,113 Messages
    44 Likes Received
    I would not say we have been more talented than the Giants, maybe in some marquee positions but not in the trenches--I do think that they've been lucky --take away a catch against the helmet by a scrub and maybe a TD pass lost in the lights and they have not won any SBs.
  4. bigdnlaca

bigdnlaca Active Member

971 Messages
    32 Likes Received
    I'm going by this.

Cowboys have to at least tie with the Giants and have a better divisional record to win the division.
  5. tecolote

tecolote Well-Known Member

1,857 Messages
    619 Likes Received
    It' going to come down to divisional record. Right now we have the edge.
  6. erod

erod Well-Known Member

5,173 Messages
    2,346 Likes Received
    The Giants historically stink in November and peak in December.

Dallas does the opposite.

The schedule doesn't really favor either side overall. It's going to come down to who plays best in December.

But if Dallas loses Sunday or Thursday, that might end it without the suspense.
  7. AdamJT13

AdamJT13 Salary Cap Analyst

15,075 Messages
    693 Likes Received
    Not true. If we tie the Giants overall and have the same record in the division, we are guaranteed to win the next tiebreaker (common opponents).
  8. erod

erod Well-Known Member

5,173 Messages
    2,346 Likes Received
    I think the next tie-breaker is conference record, not common opponents.

EDIT: It is common opponents, you are right.
  9. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,903 Messages
    1,501 Likes Received
    what the giants do matters not iota to me.

they are not on the schedule again.

dallas simply needs to beat very beatable teams and lock up a playoff spot.

if dallas gets to 9-7 and that is enough to get into the playoffs i will take it. if it takes 10-6 then that's the mark they must hit.

dallas is every bit as good as the giants but that only becomes relevant if we meet in the playoffs.
  10. yimyammer

yimyammer Well-Known Member

5,069 Messages
    412 Likes Received
    Never doubt the Adam!
  11. bigdnlaca

bigdnlaca Active Member

971 Messages
    32 Likes Received
    guarantee?
  12. AdamJT13

AdamJT13 Salary Cap Analyst

15,075 Messages
    693 Likes Received
    Yes, IF we tie them overall AND have the same record in the division, we are guaranteed to win the next tiebreaker, which is common opponents.

We lost to both of our non-common opponents (Seattle and Chicago), and the Giants beat the 49ers (they have yet to play the Packers), so there is no way for them to have a better record against common opponents IF we end up with the same record overall. Along with two head-to-head games, we each play 12 games against common opponents and two against non-common opponents. We went 1-1 head-to-head, and we went 0-2 against non-common opponents. They're 1-0 against non-common opponents and can be no worse than 1-1. That means if we both finish 10-6, we'd be 9-3 against common opponents, and they'd be no better than 8-4. If we both finish 9-7, we'd be 8-4 against common opponents, and they'd be no better than 7-5. And so forth, no matter what record we both have if we tie.
  13. tecolote

tecolote Well-Known Member

1,857 Messages
    619 Likes Received
    That's a great explanation, thanks Adam.
  14. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,508 Messages
    873 Likes Received
    Was just getting ready to post this.

This is why the Op post makes no sense.

As already mentioned, cowboys control the tiebreaker with the giants

MASSIVE ADVANTAGE: Cowboys
  15. Galian Beast

Galian Beast Well-Known Member

9,226 Messages
    1,437 Likes Received

That is with the assumption that we somehow tie...