1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Cowboys war room live!

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Corleone, Apr 28, 2011.

1. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Wasn't it Mosley that was saying Tyron Smith wasn't going to happen?
  2. lostinomiya

lostinomiya Member

534 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    eh...when the jags called them?
  3. JohnsKey19

JohnsKey19 Well-Known Member

6,059 Messages
    215 Likes Received
    No need to gamble moving down when the guy you want, who is also very high on the draft board and fills a huge need, is staring you in the face. You make the pick. Good job.
  4. Cowboys22

Cowboys22 Well-Known Member

3,504 Messages
    280 Likes Received
    I think you should rethink that. The Jags should have called us with the same deal to get ahead of the skins. Maybe they did and Jerry shot it down but if they waited until the skins were on the board, they risk the skins not accepting any trade and taking Gabbert. By attempting to get ahead of them and with a team not needing a QB, they take that risk out of the equation. I have to think Jerry turned them down.
  5. Outlaw Heroes

Outlaw Heroes Active Member

1,901 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Strong in terms of DL talent. Weak at most positions.
  6. Outlaw Heroes

Outlaw Heroes Active Member

1,901 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Yeah, he was the guy.
  7. fishspill

fishspill Active Member

937 Messages
    32 Likes Received
    The longer Cam Jordan and Robert Quinn don't get drafted, the more a 2nd and 3rd for them seems OK by me.
  8. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I was just thinking that, although I don't think New England will let that happen.
  9. fishspill

fishspill Active Member

937 Messages
    32 Likes Received
    Yeah, nevermind.
  10. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,741 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    Nah.. im pretty sure i know what i saw. Were you watching the war room? Did you see any calls come in? The Cowboys waited.. nothing came.

Im sure the Jags had pre draft discussions about trades with a couple teams, and they knew we obviously weren't in the market for one so they made the deal with the Skins.

Another idea is that they may have called and didn't offer us a deal we liked. Either way, staying put and making our choice was the right call imo. If you don't get an offer you like and you have a guy you really want.. you take them and don't screw around.
  11. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Well-Known Member

1,890 Messages
    625 Likes Received
    Exactly. If they know we aren't touching a guy they want, they will get in front of what teams do. So they move up to the next team. People act like that just because another team moved back then everyobe had the same offer.
  12. Star Guard_31

Star Guard_31 Active Member

205 Messages
    34 Likes Received
    It looked like Stephen Jones was on the phone at one point with less then 4 minutes left. Hard to say for sure but it looked like right after Dallas submitted their pick that Jerry mouthed "it just wasn't enough" before the NFL network cut away from the Cowboys war room. Could have been a possible reference to a trade offer.
  13. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,741 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    Apparently they got an offer from the jags for the 16 and 49. I would be inclined to agree with Jones and Co. If they had Smith as the 5th rated player on the board, 16 and 49 isn't enough. Better to just take the guy who has All Pro potential and your biggest position of need.
  14. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I think we gotta wait just alittle while before we analyze this draft. 1999, was supposed to be one of the great QB drafts (Couch, Akili Smith, McNabb, Culpepper and Cade McNown in the 1st round) and it turned out to be a dud in general.
  15. dbair1967

dbair1967 Arch Defender

30,783 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He virtually guaranteed it wouldnt happen the other day.

FWST did the same thing right before the draft too, they said they'd def take Costanzo over Smith.

I'd say whoever their "source" was played them like a deck of cards.