1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Credit For Success

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by TwoDeep3, Nov 28, 2012.

1. birdwells1

birdwells1 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,232 Messages
    383 Likes Received
    Great analogy.:bow:
  2. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,415 Messages
    1,458 Likes Received
    Sounds very familiar doesn't it? I am the one guy around here who has said if we win I am giving him no credit for it.

I am a huge Ozzie Newsome fan. Especially since he hired my pet cat Dennis Thurman (if the Jets fold I am gong to fidget wanting him here).

I actually agree with something Galloway said. It was bound to happen sooner or later.
  3. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,278 Messages
    207 Likes Received
    GMs get the credit from those that really pay attention and understand what good teams are doing around the league to win.

I put a lot of value in a guy that can continually stockpile talent on a team year after year.

Ozzie Newsome, Ted Thompson, Trent Baalke, Belichick, Jerry Reese, Kevin Colbert.....I have a ton of respect for those guys. Dimitrioff might be on that list as well before long.

Unfortunately, Dallas will never have a long term team builder like that as long as Jerry is running the show.
  4. DOUBLE WING

DOUBLE WING Well-Known Member

2,972 Messages
    516 Likes Received
    He built a team that had as good a chance at a Superbowl as we've had in almost 20 years.
  5. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    And his players are still our best players.

That's beyond sad.
  6. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

19,901 Messages
    5,524 Likes Received
    Yeah, I think what TwoDeep meant is the typical fan gives the credit to the players and coaches. Obviously the guy most responsible for the success is the architect of the team. That usually is the GM.
  7. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

31,914 Messages
    1,683 Likes Received
    The real secret is, Jerry thinks he is the coach.

He switches OCs and DCs so in his mind......he's HC.
  8. Risen Star

19,901 Messages
    5,524 Likes Received
    He is the only reason why we aren't sitting here with a plethora of 4 and 5 win seasons the last 10 years. Yet we have people among us who don't appreciate what he did here.
  9. DOUBLE WING

DOUBLE WING Well-Known Member

2,972 Messages
    516 Likes Received
    Crazy thing is, it took him only four years to build that. Hard to believe it's been six years since then. And six years later we're basically stuck figuring out how to "rebuild".
  10. dallasdave

dallasdave Well-Known Member

2,641 Messages
    320 Likes Received
    Guess he can take credit for Free's contract.
  11. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    The best part all the people that hate him never talk about is that we are using his draft philosophies still.

He was doing everything he could to change the organization from top to bottom. Few more years with romo and who knows what would have happened.

But hey just go look up hs recent story about Jerry, dr. Pepper and San Antonio and u will know everything you need to know about the jones family.

Bill told them California was better for the football team for camp, Jerry told bill he had deals with dr. Pepper and when people buy soda they buy chips and other food.

Money/profit over football.

Always has been, always will be. They are in it to make tons of money.
  12. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

23,516 Messages
    3,750 Likes Received
    In his mind's eye, Jerry Jones is resolute in what he wants in the event that if by some miracle, the Cowboys win another title under his watch.

"People would think that if we got to the Super Bowl and won and your owner is your general manager, there's more of a feeling that he got to the Super Bowl and he helped them get it like the head coach did."

That is what he is looking for.

He is the walk-around coach. He wants those accolades.

It is as clear now as it was back when he threatened to actually be the head coach before the Campo era.
  13. McLovin

McLovin Well-Known Member

2,834 Messages
    642 Likes Received
    Im with you here. For those who doubt, check out the 2003 lineup to the 2006-7 lineup. Compare that to the 3 consecutive 5-11 years (2000-2) w/ Campo

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/dal/lineups.htm

He took a QCarter team to 2 wins and the playoffs. The Oline and safety position was dissappointing, but J Rogders/Peterman were decent picks at the time that didnt pan out. His main problem was that the game passed him by. He valued size over speed and Sean Payton exposed that.

As far as being the type of HC that can be successful in Dalas, though, his personality was perfect. He knew how to needle players in the media to keep them honest, a master at head games. If only he had let Payton lose.
  14. VThokie7

VThokie7 Well-Known Member

1,948 Messages
    309 Likes Received
    Even if by some miracle we make the playoffs in spite of Garrett. Who seriously has faith he can hold his own against good to great coaches in the playoffs? I'd rather just rip the bandaid off and find a real coach.
  15. CaptainMorgan

CaptainMorgan Well-Known Member

2,000 Messages
    484 Likes Received
    I think it goes much deeper than Garrett, this organization needs re-tooling from top to bottom. Unfortunately that means Good players like Romo, Witten and Ware also need to go as the time table for actually accomplishing the sort of house cleaning we need eclipses their shelf lives.

We need to do it right, starting with a coach that can bring in his own staff and some creative "Great train robbery" type wheelings and dealings to give us the ammo to build with.
  16. punchnjudy

punchnjudy Well-Known Member

1,118 Messages
    80 Likes Received
    I caught that segment earlier, and agreed with Galloway's argument that Jones wouldn't get much if any credit should the Boys reach or even win a Super Bowl.

However, I'm not convinced it's all about credit for Jerry. He told Jimmy back in the day that he wanted to get involved with the "fun" parts of running a team. The financial deals weren't exciting enough for him.

At his age, the rush from drafting a player or signing a FA might be all he has left.

I would love to see Jerry go away, but he'll never step down...he'll only be lowered down.
  17. THUMPER

THUMPER Papa

9,522 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    That is a perfect analogy for Jerry Jones' approach to running the Cowboys. "I put my money in, it just HAS to pay off soon. And I know that as soon as I leave, someone else will step up, put a coin in and hit the jackpot that I made happen!"
  18. SWG9

SWG9 Well-Known Member

1,039 Messages
    180 Likes Received
    But how many GM's crave the spotlight as much as Jerry Jones and behave the way he behaves? Most GM's wants the focus to be on the players and coaches (at least during the season), Jerry wants the focus to be on him. At. All. Times.

We've talked about celebrity QB's and celebrity coaches; Jerry Jones is a celebrity GM.
  19. Risen Star

19,901 Messages
    5,524 Likes Received
    Great point.
  20. Duane

Duane Active Member

6,875 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I've never thought of it that way but I think you're right.