1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Credit For Success

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by TwoDeep3, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

12,213 Messages
    1,256 Likes Received
    Absolutely.

When it comes to the Ravens, if you're not hearing about Ray Lewis or Ed Reed, the next in line is Ozzie Newsome. Sometimes you forget about John Harbaugh and his place as head coach.

The difference is you don't hear almost anything from the Ravens owner.

The other GM's want their face and name known and if they have picked good players as well.

To me, the easiest way to get credit is for Jerry to wheel and deal players like Jenkins, who serve almost no purpose to the team and stockpile draft picks.

You can have ten 6th round picks in a 3 year span and miss on every one. But, get one that is Pro Bowl caliber player and they think you're a guru.

That's what happened with Brady. His fellow Patriots draftmates were all busts, but all that mattered was the Pats got Brady, despite passing up on him for 5 rounds and Pioli and Belichick could take all of the credit for it. And that's what happened under Jimmy. We had our fair share of busts, but we had so many picks under Jimmy that we could not keep missing, even if we tried.

If Jerry is supposed to be the master business man, then convincing teams that a player like Jenkins is valuable and making trades to constantly stockpile picks should be his specialty.

YR
  2. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,766 Messages
    1,657 Likes Received
    It is amazing how many people do not realize that Jimmy missed on about 2/3 of his picks; but we had so many at that time it did not matter.

They also forget he was not going to pick Emmitt until he fell into our lap when the LB he wanted was taken earlier.
    And that he thought walsh would be a better QB then Troy.
  3. Yakuza Rich

12,213 Messages
    1,256 Likes Received
    Every team will miss on plenty of picks. I think most fans don't realize if you can get 3 legitimate, quality starters out of a draft, you've had a great draft year. That's why I look at our past 2 drafts with Tyron, Carter, DeMarco and Mo and I'm pretty happy with the success we've had. And that doesn't count getting Bailey, Chris Jones, Harris, Beasley, Hanna and Crawford.

What disappoints me is that Jerry doesn't try this method. What infuriates me is that Jerry used to do this, but either doesn't want to or can't pull it off anymore.

Stockpiling picks allows for mistakes because you have more opportunity to 'be right.' I also think it motivates veterans and adds depth, two things we desperately need in Dallas.

YR
  4. slomoxn

slomoxn Well-Known Member

1,671 Messages
    300 Likes Received
    You must not have watche the Seattle playoff game then, Parcells hated TO so much he wouldn't even throw the ball, and this against a defense with cornerbacks that were packing groceries the week before. One of them was Pete Hunter OUR castoff from the year before.
  5. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,902 Messages
    2,710 Likes Received
    lmao

Now Tom Coughlin is incidental to the job being done by Jerry Reese. The spin is hilarious.
  6. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,289 Messages
    240 Likes Received

Who said that?
  7. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,902 Messages
    2,710 Likes Received
    I agree with every word of this.
  8. Crown Royal

Crown Royal Insulin Beware

10,687 Messages
    1,011 Likes Received

I don't think at this point we have a problem bringing in talent. We draft well and can aquire who we need to aquire (OL not withstanding). But meshing it all together and building a culture are the two problems at this point.
  9. Manster54

Manster54 Active Member

854 Messages
    51 Likes Received

:post:
  10. ykc

ykc Active Member

600 Messages
    40 Likes Received
    Great Point

11. Yakuza Rich

12,213 Messages
    1,256 Likes Received
    I've been saying this for a while.

But my point is that even the greatest talent evaluators are going to be wrong in the draft quite often. The biggest reason is that the injury rate is so high in football. Get a player that is supposed to be All-World, he tears his labrum in his first year and now he's a decent backup. Still good enough to play in the league, but nowhere near as good as he was thought to be. And it was not a bad job of scouting, the guy just got hurt and it changed everything.

Losing players who can still perform in this league in FA and getting nothing in return is not ideal. If we don't need a Mike Jenkins anymore, that's fine. But if Jerry is really doing his job as a GM, he should be making sure we are getting something in return for losing him. Be it a compensatory pick or trading him for a pick.

YR
  12. Crown Royal

Crown Royal Insulin Beware

10,687 Messages
    1,011 Likes Received
    Sorry I meant to add into my post "basically, I agree with what you said about our offense in your meaningless thoughts."