1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Cuba's Raul Castro open to meet Obama - report

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Maikeru-sama, Nov 26, 2008.

1. Maikeru-sama

Maikeru-sama Mick Green 58

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Cuba's Raul Castro open to meet Obama - report
    Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:19am EST

HAVANA, Nov 26 (Reuters) - Cuban President Raul Castro is open to meeting U.S. President-elect Barack Obama on neutral ground to try to resolve the island's four-decade-old feud with Washington, according to an interview with a U.S. magazine.

The interview for The Nation was conducted by U.S. actor Sean Penn, who traveled to Havana after meeting Cuban ally Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez and before Obama won the U.S. presidential election on Nov. 4.

"You asked if I would accept to meet with (Obama) in Washington. I would have to think about it. I would discuss it with all my comrades in the leadership," Castro tells Penn in the interview for a Dec. 15 issue published on its website.

"Personally, I think it would not be fair that I be the first to visit, because it is always the Latin American presidents who go to the United States first. But it would also be unfair to expect the president of the United States to come to Cuba. We should meet in a neutral place."

Obama has said he will reverse the Bush administration's policies that restricted Cuban Americans visiting Cuba and sending cash to their families there. He is willing to talk to Castro but would keep the 46-year-old trade embargo as leverage to influence democratic changes in the one-party state.

"Perhaps we could meet at Guantanamo," Castro says, referring to the bay where the U.S. maintains a naval base, which Cuba considers a violation of its sovereignty.

"We must meet and begin to solve our problems, and at the end of the meeting, we could give the president a gift ... we could send him home with the American flag that waves over Guantanamo Bay." (Reporting by Patrick Markey, editing by Anthony Boadle)

link
  2. Maikeru-sama

Maikeru-sama Mick Green 58

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Barack Obama should definately meet with Raul Castro.

Iran, Russia and Venezuela are trying to use Cuba to thwart the United States with regards to dominance on the World Stage.

It is time to lift the Cuban Embargo and establish friendly relations with this country.

We should use money, tourism and favorable trade deals to get Cuba to change some of its policies.

But the most important thing is to scoop up one less friend for Chavez.
  3. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,907 Likes Received
    Bush administration's policies? Or the US policy that every President has had since JFK
  4. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,963 Messages
    1,537 Likes Received
    The trade embargo is what has been in place since JFK.

Bush enacted tougher policies on Cuba that included:

* Limiting family visits by Cuban-Americans to once every three years instead of once-per-year

* Retaining the $1,200-a-year limit on dollar transfers that Cuban-American families can send to the island

* Restricting remittances and gift parcels to immediate family members - recipients may not include "certain Cuban officials and Communist Party members"

* Lowering the authorized daily amount for a family visit from $164 to $50

I believe those are the Bush administration policies that are being referred to in this article.
  5. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,907 Likes Received
    As well as a travel ban except for Cuban Americans. Personally I don't care if they lift the restriction or not however I do not want to see a repeat of Carter admin. where Cuba sent every thug they had in their prisons here to the US
  6. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,963 Messages
    1,537 Likes Received
    I think that is a different issue and I agree with you. This sounds as if it is only focused on the stricter travel restrictions for Cuban Americans and the money they can send to family members, which did change under Bush.
  7. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

33,080 Messages
    807 Likes Received
    This is a good thing.