1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

CZFFL I Pre-season Commentary Thread

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports Zone' started by Danny White, Aug 3, 2005.

1. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,345 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    My roster and thoughts on it:

I'd enjoy any of y'alls candid thoughts on it...

Deuce McAllister
    (I think there were a couple guys that could go here, and DM is one of them... happy with this pick)

Terrell Owens
    (I really wanted Dominick Davis or Portis here, but they didn't last... got a no-lose pick in Owens. If he rocks, good for my team, if he sucks, happy days anyway)

Andre Johnson
    (I was really looking to get Westbrook here, but he went the pick before. If AJ can put together a whole season, I'll have a stud WR tandem)

Duce Staley
    (BARF! I was hoping for either Hines Ward or JJ Arrington, but both got snapped up just picks earlier. I panicked and picked one of the few starters left. Here's hoping for a Bus injury early on!)

Kerry Collins
    (I had him pegged as the 3rd best prospect at QB after Manning and McNabb, and got him after several others had been picked... so I'm happy with that. In an ideal world, I'd have been able to get him a round or two later.)

Alge Crumpler
    (Another panic pick as I saw another run on TEs coming. In retrospect, I wish I'd have pulled the trigger on Gonzo in the 3rd as I'm happy overall with my WR depth.)

Lee Evans (7th), Santana Moss (8th), Keyshawn Johnson (9th)
    (Given where these guys were picked, I'm very pleased with these mid-rounders. All three the #1 guy on their team (sorry Eric Moulds, it's true) and all three guys I'm comfortable starting at the Flex on any given week. I wish I had a starting RB at Flex, but then I also wish I had Katie Holmes sitting underneath my desk right now. In the real world, she's with Tom Cruise for some bizarre reason, and I don't even have a decent starter for my #2 RB slot, let alone my flex.)

Marshall Faulk
    (Oh how the mighty have fallen. Once the consensus #1 overall pick, now an afterthought in the 10th round. If he can somehow capture a bit of that old magic and if he manages to start (injury to Jackson, perhaps) he's a startable player who should give me some reception points if nothing else.)

Brian Griese
    (Not bad backup if I'm wrong about Collins' potential this year)

Jeb Putzier
    (Wow, I hate my tight ends)

Mike Nugent
    (Right about here I realized how many friggin roster spots everyone had, and that I wasn't going to be able to coast to my last two picks to get a K and a DEF. People were stocking up left and right, especially on D's. I'm not wild about the rook, but Kickers are a crapshoot anyway)

Brandon Lloyd
    (Hey, getting another #1 reciever this late isn't bad)

Chicago D, Minnesota D
    (See my comments about the kicker. Normally I'd go week to week dropping and picking up D's based on matchups, but with everyone stashing away a bunch of them on their deep rosters, I had to make a couple picks here. Neither light my fire, but we'll see)

Ryan Moats
    (Super Sleeper)

Rex Grossman
    (Mr. Irrelevant)

There you go! Hope everyone can post theirs as well, and feel free to give me comments on mine.

For predictions, I'll say I squeak in and grab the final playoff spot.
  2. Hoov

Hoov Senior Member

5,269 Messages
    570 Likes Received
    1 day after the draft and making playoff predictions, LOL...Your really amped for this and anxious to get started.

Well i think you did good with collins, i like deuce too....and TO is a stud WR.

As for my roster, just wish i had taken your advice and preranked, i drew first pick and the computer picked P Manning for me. While im happy to have him i usually draft 2-3 RB before even looking at another position and then its wr before qb so i would have waited to about round 5 and taken someone. Oh Well.

But im happy with C Martin and i like my 2 starting wr (boldin and D. jackson), i dont have a lot of depth so im gonna have to find someone along the way to use for byweeks, an injury could be problem for me there.

Also my RB depth depends alot on rookie C Benson from Chicago. I dont know much at all about him (not a big College fan) - any comments about this guy.
  3. Danny White

12,345 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    If Benson wins the starting job, you've got yourself a steal. He has to beat out Thomas Jones.

I don't think you'll regret having Manning.
  4. Sifillest

Sifillest Member

474 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    if benson wins the starting job,it still depends on grossman and how he plays cause benson is no jamal lewis....so i would say its still good that you have him cause i was definitely looking to get him that round....i think you took him 2 picks before my pick!
    he was a beast at texas btw....if the longhorns wouldnt have lost against oklahoma then he coulda been a heisman candidate....pretty strong running style not super fast....will at least get 15 or so carries a game if hes not the outright starter....we shall see
  5. Hoov

Hoov Senior Member

5,269 Messages
    570 Likes Received
    Cool, thanks for the info
  6. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    QB: Tom Brady, Chad Pennington, Alex Smith
    (IMO, the deepest QB group in this league. Brady is always a top 5 QB, while Smith could erupt for a big rookie year as one of SF's few weapons.)

WR: Mushin Muhammod, Derrick Mason, Deion Branch, Braylon Edwards, Keenen McCardell
    (The weakest part of my team, though that could change if Edwards has a good rookie year.)

RB: Ahman Green, Julius Jones, Chris Cooley, Marion Barber
    (Very top heavy, with 2 great starters but little depth. May make a trade for a good 3rd RB)

TE: Jason Witten, Kris Mangum
    (Witten will have one of the best years of any TE.)

K: Mike Vanderjagt, Jeff Reed
    (Vanderjagt has always been one the most reliable kickers in football)

Defense: Baltimore, Miami
    (Simply the best defense in football by far)
  7. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    BTW Hoov, I sent you a trade offer
  8. Mr. Fantasy

Mr. Fantasy Woohitz

268 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Draft went pretty well for me, considering the circumstances. I over stocked at Defense (3) and Kickers (2) accidentally because I predrafted and lost my connection in the middle of round 12. As with every draft, there were plenty of good value picks, but alot of reaching. Here's a few observations, I'm honest and bias free, so dont wear your feelings on your sleeve.

- Several runs caused a lot of owners to panic. TE's,Defenses, and Kickers come to mind.

-Shame on you who let Portis slip down to 2.08, giving Team **'s 2 1st round stud rb's. That team is going to be hard to deal with.

Best Value pick? Cedric Benson at the end of round 6 (6.12) Benson's AVP is 4.12 maybe this helps eas the pain of passing on LT :D I'd also vote Buffalo's Defense at 12.10 was a steal. I have them ranked 2nd behind Baltimore and their AVP is 9.03

Worst Pick of the draft? Stover at 7.11. Kickers dont belong in the 1st 10 rounds period, no matter how good they are...BUT if youre gonna take one at least take one of the top 5 kickers in the league...of whom ALL were available :D

Overall Team Strength:

1. Commish
    2. **'s
    3. River Monsters
    4. K19
    5. Danny W
    6. cc Cowboys
    7. Team Freak
    8. Silver
    9. Hoov
    10. No Guts No Glory
    11. Heavy Hittas
    12. Hustlers

Starters Only Strength:

1. Commish
    2. **'s
    3. K19
    4. Hoov
    5. River Monsters
    6. Danny W
    7. Team Freak
    8. cc Cowboys
    9. Silver
    10. Heavy Hittas
    11. No Guts No Glory
    12. Hustlers

Comments?
  9. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    I don't see my team being as bad as you ranked them but that's ok we'll see when the season starts. I freely admit I took a chance on a few players. It could be boom or bust with them but I also think I have good backups in case they are busts.....for instance if Vick busts I have Delomme waiting in the wings.
  10. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I don't see the fascination with Portis. He will be on an offense with NO passing game whatsoever, and every defense will key on him. His line is also so-so. He will gain his usual 1300-1500 yards but wont get that many TDs.
  11. k19

k19 Active Member

2,958 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Glad to see I did better then I thought. I probably shouldnt have taken Moss that early and taken a RB instead but oh well live and learn. I'm sure FA will bring a few suprises as it always does.

Another problem I made, unintentionally, was drafting all those Lions. I wanted K Jones and coulnt resist picking up Pollard as late as I did (17). I think my QB situation could look VERY good if Harrington finally "gets it". But we'll have to wait and see. M Williams was a definite reach as was P Warrick. I have no idea what I was doing with those picks ;)
  12. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Mike Williams? He'll be a starter as soon as Rogers gets hurt again.
  13. Hoov

Hoov Senior Member

5,269 Messages
    570 Likes Received
    Heavy Hitter. I havent had much of a chance to really look at things and im leaving in 1 hour to go camping for w/e. I'll check it out next week and get back to you.
  14. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Sure thing, have fun on your trip
  15. Danny White

12,345 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Heavy... you consider my counter yet?
  16. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yeah, I dont want to give up JJ.
  17. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Danny, I sent you a counter offer.
  18. Danny White

12,345 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I countered your counter.

Nice sig, by the way.
  19. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Okay, I accepted that trade.
  20. Danny White

12,345 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Nice doing business with you.

I think it improves both teams... which I guess is the point of a trade. Now if Ahman and McAllister can both revert to their form of two years ago, I'm set.

I hate to give up Andre Johnson, I think he could have a great year this year... but I have enough other receivers to plug in there that I'm comfortable doing it.

I hope this is an active league for moves and trades. That always makes things fun.